What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Closed source Broadcom drivers. No one here knows what was changed.

There is no April release. Every router model has own firmware update schedule.
OK, I should have said, the latest firmware on the former router was from April, and it looked like it was the same build number that got pulled from the 86U in the thread I read about the bricked routers.

It doesn't matter the build number. AX82U is based on different hardware and uses different drivers.
I know, I simply recognized the same behavior. With that said, and I continue to have issues, until I can get some newer bulbs, what would be the safer solution? rolling back to the 46061 firmware, or simply turning off 2.4 on the ax86u and using a different AP for 2.4 and the ax86 for 5ghz?

My lights were a little glitchy again after the update but seem to be ok now. They work smoothly on the 46061 release, they had some problems on the April release when I was testing the 82U before getting the 86U. Now with the newer firmware, occasionally they're slow to respond again.

You should start your own thread to discuss a specific issue with your WiFi light bulbs. Glitchy WiFi light bulbs, slow to respond... with various routers, doesn't tell us much except you bought IoT light bulbs and they don't work very well. :rolleyes:

OE

You should start your own thread to discuss a specific issue with your WiFi light bulbs. Glitchy WiFi light bulbs, slow to respond with various routers, doesn't tell us much except you bought IoT light bulbs and they don't work very well. :rolleyes:

OE
OK, If I need to I'll start a thread, for now I've actually been looking to see if there are known issues with Asus Routers and iOT devices.

Yes, that link is in my install notes they didn't read.

OE
Actually I have read that page before I started posting here. Like I said when I created my first thread here, I try to solve issues myself before asking for help. There just isn't a lot of info out there about my specific setup in some cases.
Yeso, @OzarkEdge I did read some of your guide. I just tried to find what I was trying to solve at the moment, so I don't always read completely through unless I need the information.

So I noticed winscp no longer works with this version as scp has been taken out just like it was with the AC86 firmware 48260.
Looking in the usr/bin directory the scp link to dropbearmulti is no longer there.
@RMerlin - Do you intend to or will you have to remove scp from your firmware as well?

So I noticed winscp no longer works with this version as scp has been taken out just like it was with the AC86 firmware 48260.
Looking in the usr/bin directory the scp link to dropbearmulti is no longer there.
@RMerlin - Do you intend to or will you have to remove scp from your firmware as well?
WinSCP and Putty work with this version (just tried them). You may need to disable then enable SSH on the Admin/System page.

Actually I have read that page before I started posting here. Like I said when I created my first thread here, I try to solve issues myself before asking for help. There just isn't a lot of info out there about my specific setup in some cases.
Yeso, @OzarkEdge I did read some of your guide. I just tried to find what I was trying to solve at the moment, so I don't always read completely through unless I need the information.
One suggestion for your IOT bulbs and other devices is to set up a guest 2.4 GHz WIFI. There are three available guest WIFI for each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. The first guest in each band assigns an IP address in the 192.168.101.x (2.4 GHz) and 192.168.102.x (5 GHz) range. One advantage is that you can isolate and dumb down the WIFI protocol to make it easier for the not so smart IOT devices to work. I run a guest 1 on 2.4 GHz with just WPA2-Personal for Dish,garage door opener, thermostat and one old iPod touch that does not like WPA2/WPA3-Personal. It will require some work to set the bulbs up again but once it is working you can find something else to worry about.

On the US site go to "Drivers and Tools" then for OS select "Others".
Thanks, I didn't read your post until this morning (eastern Australia) but I found the download last night and updated around midnight. All OK.

WinSCP and Putty work with this version (just tried them). You may need to disable then enable SSH on the Admin/System page.

Putty works fine but on WinSCP you can not copy or replace files.

This is what I get when trying to copy or replace files with WinSCP:

Screenshot 2022-06-20 132144.jpg

@bbunge - As you can see in the usr/bin directory the scp link which targets dropbearmulti has been removed in the latest firmware.
Without it WinSCP will not work.
Whether this was intentional or a mistake by Asus I do not know.
Asus did the same thing on the latest AC86 firmware so I think it was intentional.

46061.jpg

49447.jpg

Last edited:
Just updated, and I'm now getting 300 Mbps on iperf3 to an aging iPhone 6, which is insane. Something with the WiFi changed, as previously I never got anything above ~250 Mbps. This is a pleasant surprise, second only to the update not bricking my router! Everything in my setup is working like a champ.

Is a full reset required for this update or is a “dirty” update fine? Looks like some folks mentioning needing to do a reset.

Is a full reset required for this update or is a “dirty” update fine? Looks like some folks mentioning needing to do a reset.

No one has required a reset. Use your own preferred practice.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!