What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommie

New Around Here
ASUS RT-AX86U firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49447
2022/06/20
76.94 MBytes

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Fixed OpenSSL CVE-2022-0778
2. Fixed CVE-2021-34174
3. Added more security measures to block malware.
4. Fixed Stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Milan Kyselica of IstroSec.
5. Fixed CVE-2022-23970, CVE-2022-23971, CVE-2022-23972, CVE-2022-23973, CVE-2022-25595, CVE-2022-25596, CVE-2022-25597
6. Added 3rd party DNS server list in WAN --> DNS to help users enhance the connection security.
7. Supported Safe Browsing in the router app to filter explicit content from search results. You can set it in the router app --> Devices or Family.
8. Improved system stability.
9. Fixed anomalous 802.11 frame issues.
Thanks to Kari Hulkko and Tuomo Untinen from The Synopsys Cybersecurity Research Center (CyRC). Issue was found by using Defensics Fuzz Testing Tool.

ASUS firmware download page

Last edited:
Just about to hit the update button through the GUI. Wish me luck!

RT-AX86UCurrent Version : 3.0.0.4.386_48377-g3e428e2
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 3.0.0.4.386_49447-g0d3605a

Edit

Updated via GUI firmware upgrade button. Performed a manual reboot and no problems for me (hopefully).

RT-AX86UCurrent Version : 3.0.0.4.386_49447-g0d3605a
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : The router's current firmware is the latest version.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to this thread. Is there a good overall thread on this forum to follow firmware updates in general, so I'm not behind in trying to find the right thread?
Updated my router this morning to the firmware mentioned in this thread.

It's showing on my router's GUI but not yet on the download page. After the last fiasco of an update to this router that bricked a few, I'm waiting a bit to see other peoples experiences.

So far so good. No major changes other than the WAN DNS.

ASUS RT-AX86U firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49447
2022/06/20
76.94 MBytes

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Fixed OpenSSL CVE-2022-0778
2. Fixed CVE-2021-34174
3. Added more security measures to block malware.
4. Fixed Stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Milan Kyselica of IstroSec.
5. Fixed CVE-2022-23970, CVE-2022-23971, CVE-2022-23972, CVE-2022-23973, CVE-2022-25595, CVE-2022-25596, CVE-2022-25597
6. Added 3rd party DNS server list in WAN --> DNS to help users enhance the connection security.
7. Improved system stability.

ASUS firmware download page

Bug Fixes and Enhancements has already been updated to 8 items. They are still releasing it.

Other discussion mentioned a new SDK coming (why it took 6 months?), so I would expect to start fresh with this release (clean install).

OE

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to this thread. Is there a good overall thread on this forum to follow firmware updates in general, so I'm not behind in trying to find the right thread?
Updated my router this morning to the firmware mentioned in this thread.

No. Create your own bookmark to your router model Support page and check it whenever you want.

OE

I was hesitant to update after having had no router for 7 weeks due to a warranty device exchange but I successfully upgraded from 3.0.0.4.386.46061 to 3.0.0.4.386_49447.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements has already been updated to 8 items. They are still releasing it.

Other discussion mentioned a new SDK coming, so I would expect to start fresh with this release (clean install).

OE

I copied the release notes which were available in the web GUI, apparently on the ASUS support page line 7 was added.
OP is updated, thanks!

No. Create your own bookmark to your router model Support page and check it whenever you want.

OE
Thanks, I also was able to download the firmware from January (46061) to have a backup in case the new firmware has problems. As far as the WAN DNS statement, I think I'm clear now on it's referring to the DNS services such as Google, Cloud9, etc.

Thanks, I also was able to download the firmware from January (46061) to have a backup in case the new firmware has problems.

Always wise to download first before upsetting your/their Internet connection. :)

OE

So far so good. No major changes other than the WAN DNS.

Thanks, I also was able to download the firmware from January (46061) to have a backup in case the new firmware has problems. As far as the WAN DNS statement, I think I'm clear now on it's referring to the DNS services such as Google, Cloud9, etc.
There is one button to assign other than the ISP DNS resolvers assigned by DHCP. Next to the Assign button is "Assign a DNS service to improve security, block advertisement and gain faster performance." which I feel is misleading. They also have "Filter Mode: Safe" above the chosen resolvers which I feel is misleading especially if you have DoT enabled. I guess for most of the population they can have a warm fuzzy when they see those comments...

tested, works fine, debug seems enabled in the logs :/

It's showing on my router's GUI but not yet on the download page. After the last fiasco of an update to this router that bricked a few, I'm waiting a bit to see other peoples experiences.
On the US site go to "Drivers and Tools" then for OS select "Others".

So, wanted to ask, while my RT-AX86U seems to be functioning fine, would I be gaining anything by doing a factory reset since there is somewhat of a large change int the new firmware? Also, when doing a factory reset, is doing it from the webGUI usually enough, or should I use the button on the router?

FYI: went from 46061 to the release described in this thread. I haven't had to factory reset in years (when it comes to my main router) so am behind on best practices (most likely.)

Thanks

Wifi driver updated in this release.

Broadcom BCA: 17.10 RC157.2809
wl0: Jun 16 2022 12:25:10 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046)

So, wanted to ask, while my RT-AX86U seems to be functioning fine, would I be gaining anything by doing a factory reset since there is somewhat of a large change int the new firmware? Also, when doing a factory reset, is doing it from the webGUI usually enough, or should I use the button on the router?

FYI: went from 46061 to the release described in this thread. I haven't had to factory reset in years (when it comes to my main router) so am behind on best practices (most likely.)

Thanks

My install notes cover these things in a brief fashion.

Some reading:
Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize

A Reset resets the firmware to its default settings.
A Hard Reset also clears logged data.

I favor using the webUI Restore+Initialize to Hard Reset the firmware for a clean install.

In your case, you should perform a clean install, imo.

Given this firmware (and AiMesh), I will be doing a clean install to get it out of the way of any subsequent troubleshooting.

OE

Last edited:
Wifi driver updated in this release.

Broadcom BCA: 17.10 RC157.2809
wl0: Jun 16 2022 12:25:10 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046)
That release contains a minor SDK update.

My install notes cover these things in a brief fashion.

Some reading:
Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize

A Reset resets the firmware to its default settings.
A Hard Reset also clears logged data.

I favor using the webUI Restore+Initialize to Hard Reset the firmware for a clean install.

In your case, you should perform a clean install, imo.

Given this firmware (and AiMesh), I will be doing a clean install to get it out of the way of any subsequent troubleshooting.

OE
Thank you @OzarkEdge, based on that reading of the FAQ, and looking at Asus' direction, since my router is functioning, doing a UI reset should be all I need to simply clear values and start fresh with the new firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!