What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't see OpenVPN Server issues here. 386.49599 -> 388.20477 and all good. Never touched OpenVPN Server settings.
What magic did you apply to the OpenVPN server setup? I tried with Android and Win 11 failed to connect each time.

Edit: Changed the Android client to OpenVPN Connect, used "basic" server settings and bang! it connected. Never had success with this client before. Always used the Arne Schawbe OpenVPN client.

Last edited:
I did nothing. Just tried to connect to it and it's working. OpenVPN App on iOS.

This is the client I always use. No idea who Arne Schawbe is. I don't know this guy. :)
Openvpn for Android by Arne Schawbe. Have used it for years when others failed.

I find nothing wrong with OpenVPN Connect App. Never needed to look for alternatives. On iOS devices it's not even needed, they support IPSec out of the box. I don't know about Android, my last Android phone was Galaxy S6. After series of disappointments not coming back any time soon.

AiMesh page doesn't show 5GHz backhaul information.

1660538653488.png

AC86U router as Node is connected at about 1.9Gbps link rate, 1024QAM.

And AC86U picture is missing:

1660538806900.png

So from your experience, how long after the beta release does Asus release the official build?

No visible external (and repeatedly predictable) rhyme or reason. It's released when Asus deems it's ready. :)

I was going to ask the same thing about the release, I went to the support page for the router from within the router Web GUI, and the beta firmware is posted right where the public release would usually be. Does this mean it's stable enough at this point to use it as a daily driver?
I just find it odd that Asus would put it out in the open like that, if it wasn't safe for people to use. There are features I want to try like the connection notifications. However, if it's not ready for daily use, I'll wait for the final release. Just wanted to get an idea of what people thought at this point regarding stability. Based on the thread, it seems like it's been deemed overall stable.

I was going to ask the same thing about the release, I went to the support page for the router from within the router Web GUI, and the beta firmware is posted right where the public release would usually be. Does this mean it's stable enough at this point to use it as a daily driver?
I just find it odd that Asus would put it out in the open like that, if it wasn't safe for people to use. There are features I want to try like the connection notifications. However, if it's not ready for daily use, I'll wait for the final release. Just wanted to get an idea of what people thought at this point regarding stability. Based on the thread, it seems like it's been deemed overall stable.
Go for it! There are a couple of minor bugs that really do not effect operation for me but otherwise it is working well.

Go for it! There are a couple of minor bugs that really do not effect operation for me but otherwise it is working well.
OK, most of the bugs I've seen reported are related to VPN, which I currently don't use, or have a need for. Beyond that, I've seen a couple of UI bugs, but if I recall they are also related to features that I currently don't use.

This is a beta firmware release, @iFrogMac. It was published for testing purposes only. I run it on my AX86U because I don't use it for Internet access. Even if the router blows - I don't care. If you need stable, stay on current official 49599 firmware or wait for official 388 code base firmware release.

I noticed a setting in the firewall section for ipv4 firewall. Isn't the setting under general for the ipv4 firewall?

This is a beta firmware release, @iFrogMac. It was published for testing purposes only. I run it on my AX86U because I don't use it for Internet access. Even if the router blows - I don't care. If you need stable, stay on current official 49599 firmware or wait for official 388 code base firmware release.
I didn't update to the beta firmware. Instead I took the RT-AX86U out of service until Asus release the new firmware as stable and have returned to my TP-Link AX4400 with the features Asus has included, but on stable firmware.

I noticed a setting in the firewall section for ipv4 firewall. Isn't the setting under general for the ipv4 firewall?
Your question does not make sense!

When you enable Wireguard, does it disable hardware acceleration on the router? Which I assume that WAN speed will be limited to around 350-400 Mbps when enabling Wireguard??

AiMesh page doesn't show 5GHz backhaul information.

View attachment 43545

AC86U router as Node is connected at about 1.9Gbps link rate, 1024QAM.

And AC86U picture is missing:

View attachment 43546
Added an AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node as a test.

Node picture:
Node_Icon.jpg

Node Backhaul:
Node_backhaul.jpg

I started the node add with WPS turned off on the router and DFS enabled in Wireless settings. As the AC66U_B1 is not DFS capable I expected the router WIFI to fall back to a non DFS channel and likely use 80 MHz bandwidth. What happened is the DFS was disabled in the router, the router used 5 GHz channel 44 and in time went to 160 MHz. The AC66U_B1 node is happily running at 80 MHz and for my short test seems rather stable.
Firmware used:
RT-AX86U : 9.0.0.4.388_20477-g515411f
RT-AC66U_B1 : 3.0.0.4.386_49703-gc2cdfc8

I didn't update to the beta firmware. Instead I took the RT-AX86U out of service until Asus release the new firmware as stable and have returned to my TP-Link AX4400 with the features Asus has included, but on stable firmware.
Hmmm, OK, interesting, just why? I mean isn't it still good with the current release, why even bother updating if it is not broken, maybe it is?

Hmmm, OK, interesting, just why? I mean isn't it still good with the current release, why even bother updating if it is not broken, maybe it is?
I also went back because I wanted the more simple router to work with too. Since I don't currently need the advanced features Asus offers I'll just use it when I do. The other thing is, the Asus router is still glitchy with some of my smart home devices, though not as bad and the TP-Link isn't so much so I figured I'd wait for them to polish the new firmware and just use something I know is stable in my setup until the new firmware is released.

When you enable Wireguard, does it disable hardware acceleration on the router? Which I assume that WAN speed will be limited to around 350-400 Mbps when enabling Wireguard??

Excellent question!

Another question would be: Can WireGuard even benefit from hardware acceleration?

Maybe it’s just limited to IPsec / OpenVPN.

My WireGuard performance is up there with the ISP’s max throughput.

I wanted to say “line speed” - still stuck in the analogue world

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!