What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Recently i changed my AC3200 for this RT-AX88U (3.0.0.4.384_5247-g499251e).

After 16 days of uninterrupted work, today when i woke up the router was KO state, the leds was worked, but not have network (LAN or WAN, both), the webGUI not work, really i thinked anyone change the AX88U for my old AC3200 (he was same problems).

I know the router was work at least until the 2:30am because i recive several notifications from my server.

I changed my AC3200 for the new AX88U for this problem, but now i think this problem resides on the Asus Firmware.

This is not a big problem when i stay on my house, but wen travel this trouble es really problematic

The "rustic solution" i found it is buy a wireless plug and program it to turnOFF and turnON the router to force a "reboot".

Really sorry for my bad english.

I don't believe anything is on 80MHz either.

Great you have an expensive new AX router and are running it using nothing more then a old N router config. Congrats on a waste of your money. But hey it's your money to waste. :eek:

Hi guys, asus published new firmware.

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.5329
Bug fixes and improvement:
- Improved AiMesh stability
- Improved wireless stability in DFS channel
- Fixed WAN detection bug.

Is that what you are seeing? How about others?
No fancy settings here as HE, 160 MHz and DFS are all off but I have significantly better WiFi coverage (and with that speed) on 5 GHz. I reconfigured the old AC68U as an AP but on 5GHz I get better speeds even as the AX88U is on a different floor and has about double the distance as the AC68U has.

I have two other buildings where there is an external antenna connected to a WiFi bridge - all now connected to the 2.4 GHz of the AX88U. Before I had about 3-5 Mbps on a good day in those buildings but now it's around 30 - 35 Mbps :)

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.5329 has improved things tremendously as far as Aimesh is concerned and as well as overall wifi stability

The "rustic solution" i found it is buy a wireless plug and program it to turnOFF and turnON the router to force a "reboot".
Or perhaps the most obvious solution is to buy a non-Asus router which is stable and stays connected for weeks/months/years without requiring a reboot? Far more sensible/practical than your "rustic solution" :)

I haven't done any in depth testing, but a quick glance at the signal strength on my tablet while at the other end of the apartment does show a slightly stronger signal on the RT-AX88U than I used to have on the RT-AC88U.

I haven't done any in depth testing, but a quick glance at the signal strength on my tablet while at the other end of the apartment does show a slightly stronger signal on the RT-AX88U than I used to have on the RT-AC88U.
I've noticed this too.

I've also noticed for some reason my wired connection bandwidth has dropped in half.
Not sure if there's a setting to tweak or adjust, did this with the latest 384.8_2 firmware.
Using the unmanaged switch passthrough, worked fine on my AC88U, only recently dropped with the AX88U.
Tested off the AT&T gateway, went back up to the 916 shown below.
upload_2018-12-17_18-3-28.png

I've noticed this too.

I've also noticed for some reason my wired connection bandwidth has dropped in half.
Not sure if there's a setting to tweak or adjust, did this with the latest 384.8_2 firmware.
Using the unmanaged switch passthrough, worked fine on my AC88U, only recently dropped with the AX88U.
View attachment 15517

If your ISP uses PPPoE, I suspect that hardware acceleration doesn't work with PPPoE on the RT-AX88U.

If your ISP uses PPPoE, I suspect that hardware acceleration doesn't work with PPPoE on the RT-AX88U.
I'm not 100% but I believe it does not.
I'm with AT&T U-verse Gigabit fiber.
The configuration was left mostly default from the AC88U and the AX88U, even doing an "Initialize" on both and testing shows that speeds on the AC88U are/were substantially higher.

Perhaps it's this new flow cache with the CTF/HW acceleration?

Rolling back to the latest official firmware does show a speed increase consistently higher than previously reported on 384.8_2.
At least closer to advertised speeds, usually 750-800megabits instead of sub-500 or so.
upload_2018-12-17_22-10-38.png

Perhaps it's this new flow cache with the CTF/HW acceleration?

It's a completely different implementation, so it's possibly not as mature/robust yet as CTF. I know PPPoE was one difference, there might still be other issues left for Broadcom to iron out.

It's a completely different implementation, so it's possibly not as mature/robust yet as CTF. I know PPPoE was one difference, there might still be other issues left for Broadcom to iron out.
Eric, does rt-ac86u and rt-ax88u uses same CTF to accelerate speed?

Eric, does rt-ac86u and rt-ax88u uses same CTF to accelerate speed?

CTF does not exist on the HND platform. The RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U use Flow Cache and Packet Runner, older routers used CTF and Flow Accelerator.

I've noticed this too.

View attachment 15517

I just completed the installation of a RT-AX88U with 384.8_2 firmware. I have AT&T Gigabit Fiber using the unmanaged switch (Netgear GS105) method to bypass a BGW210, and my wired connection is producing normal (947.83 Mbps down and 934.86 Mbps up) speeds.

Very happy with my purchase. I have come from a AC3200, only 2 year old. Since Q1/2 2018, with firmware update the 2.4Ghz had become unstable - devices could not connect at all, and drop outs. I mainly use 5Ghz. Anyhow, this was a good upgrade with increased distance for my main requirements 5Ghz devices, and the 2.4Ghz channel working.

So far, so good. A bit of 'future proofing' even if the AX system is changed in 2019/2020. At least the router has another oomph for a few years

I just completed the installation of a RT-AX88U with 384.8_2 firmware. I have AT&T Gigabit Fiber using the unmanaged switch (Netgear GS105) method to bypass a BGW210, and my wired connection is producing normal (947.83 Mbps down and 934.86 Mbps up) speeds.
Did you change any settings or adjust anything?
I'm using the same method bypass, but speeds are certainly cut in half.

Also Merlin, is this something to be concerned with?
upload_2018-12-22_14-38-37.png

Too many concurrent connections/connection attempts.

Did you change any settings or adjust anything?
I'm using the same method bypass, but speeds are certainly cut in half.

Also Merlin, is this something to be concerned with?
View attachment 15589

Have you tried a different gigabit switch?

I made the following changes.

1. Default IP address changed to 192.168.2.1
2. DHCP range changed to 192.168.2.12 to 192.168.2.25
3. Static addresses assigned to the LAN 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.11
4. Installed a VPN client in the Client 1 slot.
5. Wireless settings for SSID and password.
6. Cloned BGW210 mac address to WAN.
7. DNS Server 1.0.0.1 and 9.9.9.9

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!