What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U Router Is showing Ethernet Ports Notice under Network Map -> System Status -> Status

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rush_ad

Occasional Visitor
My RT-AX88U is showing that two of my Ethernet ports are working at 100Mbps. This has been the case since first I started using Asus router - on all firmware versions. I've only used factory firmwares. My older routers did not have this feature, so it's possible that my issue was the case back then but the older routers didn't care.

As you can see in the attached screenshot, there are two ports with notice.
  • #7 - this is a gateway connection to my solar panel equipment. I am not worried about it because speed doesn't matter. And everything to do with solar monitoring is working as expected.
    • I tried different cables from router to the equipment, and it made no difference. I assume it's probably just a slower speed network capability of the equipment, which is most likely ok considering the use case.
  • My WAN connection is the second of the notices, which is my primary concern. This is my incoming internet line to AX88U.
I have a fiber connection to the house (500mb up and down) and sequence of connection is as following:
  • Until yesterday: Incoming optical connection from the provider --> ONT converts optical to direct Ethernet out (female RJ45) --> Male-to-male CAT 5e cable connects ONT to a female RJ45 wall plate -->male-to-male CAT 5e goes into AX88U.
    • This was my connection path for at least last 8 years. Since I started using AX88U two years ago, I've seen the 100mbps speed limit notice.
  • Since today: Incoming optical connection from the provider --> ONT converts optical to direct Ethernet out (female RJ45) --> Male-to-male CAT 6 cable connects ONT to a female RJ45 wall plate -->male-to-male CAT 6 goes into AX88U.
    • I changed the ONT to router path to a brand new CAT6 cables thinking that might address the problem - thinking maybe the old CAT5e was 'getting old.'

Due to the house construction, changing the cable wasn't easy but finally managed to upgrade to CAT6. However, my issue still remains. All the trouble of changing the cable didn't solve the problem. Can y'all think of any other reason for the notice? What else can I try?

Attachments

• AX88U Notice.jpg
    AX88U Notice.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 97
Mine shows normal green so there may indeed be a problem. Have you run a speedtest to confirm an actual physical problem?

Your solar panel equipment may go to sleep and autonegotiate for power savings as the link speed may save a watt or so depending. PS4 pro does this in rest mode as well as my helix terminal. It may simply be 100Mbps.

Have you tried removing the wall plate from the equation in case ? Are you hitting your 62.5 MBps from your provider

There is no problem. It is just the way Asus lets you know the connection is not a 1 GB. Likely the client only has a 10/100 NIC or it could be a bad Ethernet cable. I have a couple of web cams that only connect at 100 MB and an old PoE switch that is 10/100. I think it is wrong to warn folks like this as there is nothing wrong with a working 100 MB connection on some clients.
If it bothers you just connect a small GB switch to the router and plug those clients into the switch. Ta Da...all green!

My main concern isn't with the client connected to port #7 - the solar equipment.

My main concern is with the WAN port showing 100Mbps when my Internet provider connection is 500Mbps.

Maybe I didn't do a good job describing initially.
There is no problem. It is just the way Asus lets you know the connection is not a 1 GB. Likely the client only has a 10/100 NIC or it could be a bad Ethernet cable. I have a couple of web cams that only connect at 100 MB and an old PoE switch that is 10/100. I think it is wrong to warn folks like this as there is nothing wrong with a working 100 MB connection on some clients.
If it bothers you just connect a small GB switch to the router and plug those clients into the switch. Ta Da...all green!

Your solar panel equipment may go to sleep and autonegotiate for power savings as the link speed may save a watt or so depending. PS4 pro does this in rest mode as well as my helix terminal. It may simply be 100Mbps.

Have you tried removing the wall plate from the equation in case ? Are you hitting your 62.5 MBps from your provider
You think the wall plate could be an issue?
Because I changed the cable and a new wall plate. Would be really bad luck if new cable and wallplate both are bad.

My main concern is with the WAN port showing 100Mbps when my Internet provider connection is 500Mbps.
Have you confirmed the WAN port is operating at only 100 Mbps by doing a speed test?

Because I changed the cable and a new wall plate. Would be really bad luck if new cable and wallplate both are bad.
Perhaps you wired the cable to the socket incorrectly (at one end).

If you made up the cable from the ONT to the wall plate it needs to be tested. At a minimum for continuity and correct pinout. Sorry to say the CAT 5e was sufficient for 1 GB. In fact it will run 2.5 GB. I have CAT5 from the ONT to the router.

He said his 1gb wan is supposedly operating at 100Mb

If you permit me a correction, you should use a lower case b when describing bandwidth and not throughput

I thought the wall plate was already there, which made it the sole remaining component of the interconnect chain.

Have you confirmed the WAN port is operating at only 100 Mbps by doing a speed test?

Perhaps you wired the cable to the socket incorrectly (at one end).
Speed test showed around 60mbps up and down, both with old and new wiring.

It's possible that I wired incorrectly, but less likely considering everything still works smoothly, except for the router to throw out a notice.

Speed test showed around 60mbps up and down, both with old and new wiring.

It's possible that I wired incorrectly, but less likely considering everything still works smoothly, except for the router to throw out a notice.
I'm confused, as you have a 1Gbit wan.

You were getting 60 Mbps, or 60 MBps ? If 60 Mbps, I think something is wrong for sure and Asus router is correct.

I'm confused, as you have a 1Gbit wan.

You were getting 60 Mbps, or 60 MBps ? If 60 Mbps, I think something is wrong for sure and Asus router is correct.
It's 60MBps which is still very low compared to my provider speed of 500MB.

It's 60MBps which is still very low compared to my provider speed of 500MB.
I think you mean (as you said in post #5) Mbps - Megabits per second, not MBps which would be Megabytes per second. 60MBps = 460Mbps.

It's possible that I wired incorrectly, but less likely considering everything still works smoothly...
Except it's not running smoothly. You have a 500Mbps internet connection and the link to your ONT is only operating at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. This can happen if the ethernet connection is not terminated correctly (if you're terminating the ends of the cable yourself).

Can you try plugging a PC or laptop directly into the ONT's Ethernet socket and doing a speedtest again to see what result you get without any other devices in between. This will tell you if the lack of speed is an ISP issue.

Last edited:
I think you mean (as you said in post #5) Mbps - Megabits per second, not MBps which would be Megabytes per second. 60MBps = 460Mbps.
Fair enough, my lack of full education there.

Except it's not running smoothly. You have a 500Mbps internet connection and the link to your ONT is only operating at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. This can happen if the ethernet connection is not terminated correctly (if you're terminating the ends of the cable yourself).
My old connection (using CAT 5e) was done professionally, so I hope cable termination was done appropriately.
My new connection (using CAT 6) was done by myself. So entirely possible that I made mistakes. However, everything is working like it used to - including AX88U showing that notice I mentioned in my first post.

When I said everything runs smoothly, I meant that streaming HBO, YouTube, Prime Video, working from home, Teams/Zoom video call, etc. This maybe possible because none of these probably come close to the ISP speed limit.

Can you try plugging a PC or laptop directly into the ONT's Ethernet socket and doing a speedtest again to see what result you get without any other devices in between. This will tell you if the lack of speed is an ISP issue.
I can try, good idea. Though it will take me a few days, then I can report back.

End of the day, there isn't a true real world problem that hinders daily work or entertainment - just a first world problem/annoyance that my router thinks/reports that I have a problem. My nature is to listen to advise and warnings rather than to ignore them before there is a true issue or impact.

When was the last time you factory reset the router?

Just an update... contacted my ISP and they think it might be due to an older/outdated ONT model which limits the speed to around 50-60MB.
They plan to come out and replace their ONT equipment. Let's see if that fixes the problem.

If the ISP is admitting responsibility, the problem will be fixed.

The ISP support team came out today and replaced the ONT. Apparently it was way too outdated. All problems fixed.
Speed test showing a good 500Mbps and Asus router happy too - showing Green WAN port now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 172816.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 172816.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 172838.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 172838.png
    8 KB · Views: 80

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!