What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX88U Version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/02)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darkling

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Support HMA VPN in VPN fusion to securely and quickly access streaming sites from over 190+ countries
4. Supported new devices connection notification.
5. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
6. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
7. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 9e6b286cd3c5841f3bfbb443210c4ded

Asus Website

Download

Hope springs eternal! Good news here.

With Asus adopting the 2022 release of the ASUSWRT firmware, is there and updated or beta version of the iOS app, with the features described here:

This isn't a release, it is a Beta. Indicated by the leading '9'. ;)

It seems to be working fine for me ATM but I will report any issues should they occur.

It seems to work for my AiMesh environment, just like in original RC3-2 RC3-3 Public Beta long time ago.

AiMesh Router AX88U 9.0.0.4.388.20477
+ 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AX86S 3.0.0.4.386_49599-g8352df7, AC86U 3.0.0.4.386_48260-gd4c241c

The following VPN Servers on my Router, are working with Clients on both my MacBookPro 14" and iPhone XS Max
  • OpenVPN
  • IPSec (iKEV1 & iKEV2)
  • WireGuard
  • Instant Guard (iPhone only)
I will report here, if I find anything unexpected

always getting:
Code:
kernel: TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 7788. Dropping request.  Check SNMP counters.

and after starting AiProtection some modules are missing:
Code:
Aug  6 08:34:25 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Aug  6 08:34:26 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Aug  6 08:34:26 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Aug  6 08:34:26 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep

There's a dedicated page for the new firmware if folks haven't seen it already in the release notes:

from the release log, didnt even opend in my firefox browser for some kind of strange reason (blank page) ...

EDIT: now its working, seems to be there is a new asus app incoming (smart) :)

always getting:
Code:
kernel: TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 7788. Dropping request.  Check SNMP counters.

and after starting AiProtection some modules are missing:
Code:
Aug  6 08:34:25 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Aug  6 08:34:26 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Aug  6 08:34:26 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Aug  6 08:34:26 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep
I have the same Module ip6t Rejects when I try to start VPN Fusion using Wireguard. It just sits "connecting" till I disable it. VPN Fusion with OPNvpn UDP works just fine. No errors detected with the import of the Wireguard Config file, except at the very bottom with Retries 25 ... Some Junk inserted after the 25. I just delete it and it appears to be fine with that. Have entered Wireguard config manually and still wont connect.
I will keep an eye on this thread as its early days yet.

So far so good as none of my pc's and wireless devices have experienced any issues with it.

It seems to work for my AiMesh environment, just like in original RC3-2 RC3-3 Public Beta long time ago.

AiMesh Router AX88U 9.0.0.4.388.20477
+ 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AX86S 3.0.0.4.386_49599-g8352df7, AC86U 3.0.0.4.386_48260-gd4c241c

The following VPN Servers on my Router, are working with Clients on both my MacBookPro 14" and iPhone XS Max
  • OpenVPN
  • IPSec (iKEV1 & iKEV2)
  • WireGuard
  • Instant Guard (iPhone only)
I will report here, if I find anything unexpected
Update:
(1) Running smoothly for over 1.5 days already. Thanks

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 16.37.22.png

(2) The following VPN Servers on my Router, are working with Clients on both my MacBookPro 14" (macOS 12.5) and iPhone XS Max (iOS 15.6)
  • OpenVPN with Clients: macOS Tunnelblick 3.8.8; iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.3.0
  • IPSec (iKEV1 & iKEV2) with Clients using OS built-in Configurator: macOS & iOS
  • WireGuard with Clients: macOS WireGuard 1.0.15; iOS WireGuard 1.0.15
  • Instant Guard with Client: iOS Instant Guard 1.0.0.1.26 only

I thought my RT-AX88U got hung. But it was my Netgear switch's adapter got burned and brought down the whole network. This firmware is still golden.

You made me think about my own 14 year old HP pro curve switch that my stuff is running on. When its time to replace it guess what company I'll be sticking with. :)

I decided to try this on my AX88U, and even signed up with HMA to test the integration.

When setting up a HMA profile under VPN Fusion, (there are only TCP profiles available - separate issue), it just sits at Initialising, please wait

A peek in the System Log tells the real story:

vpnclient5: Get CA failed

Anyone else using HMA with this firmware?

Another thing I will try is WireGuard support with TorGuard.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!