What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX88U Version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/02)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's a dedicated page for the new firmware if folks haven't seen it already in the release notes:

Yes, I just took a look.

The language could be improved, though.

Professional users will love this upgrade. The more functions you can control, the more information you can master.

As all IT people know, it should be:

Professional users will love this upgrade. The more functions you can master, the more information you can control.

:p:p:p

I decided to try this on my AX88U, and even signed up with HMA to test the integration.

When setting up a HMA profile under VPN Fusion, (there are only TCP profiles available - separate issue), it just sits at Initialising, please wait

A peek in the System Log tells the real story:

vpnclient5: Get CA failed

Anyone else using HMA with this firmware?

Another thing I will try is WireGuard support with TorGuard.

Can´t even get a HMA ovpn file working with VPN Fusion.

I don´t expect HMA Support to help me with this beta firmware, so I might have to go back to Merlin.

Update:
(1) Running smoothly for over 1.5 days already. Thanks

View attachment 43353

(2) The following VPN Servers on my Router, are working with Clients on both my MacBookPro 14" (macOS 12.5) and iPhone XS Max (iOS 15.6)
  • OpenVPN with Clients: macOS Tunnelblick 3.8.8; iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.3.0
  • IPSec (iKEV1 & iKEV2) with Clients using OS built-in Configurator: macOS & iOS
  • WireGuard with Clients: macOS WireGuard 1.0.15; iOS WireGuard 1.0.15
  • Instant Guard with Client: iOS Instant Guard 1.0.0.1.26 only
Update:
(1) Running smoothly for about 4 days now.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 21.04.56.png

I cant believe it but finally Asus stock firmware is great and stable and even works fine with DoT, IPv6 and all my IoT devices. It worked before only with RMerlin builds but now Asus is catching up.

I really hope i'm missing something, but as of right now VPN Fusion is utter garbage imo! I had no issues using the old VPN client. It worked great. I have 3 remote sites i had configured in the VPN client. I dont want internet through these connections, i just want to access the resources on the local subnet when the vpn is connected. When i'd want to access something, i'd just open up the asus app, connect the vpn to the appropriate site, and all the devices on the network could then access resources over that VPN connection, and my internet still routed out my standard internet connection.

now that they changed it to this VPN Fusion crap i can no longer do this! I can only have a device configured to use 1 vpn connection. I can only set one connection to apply to all devices....even though i have 3 different open vpn sites i'm connecting to at different times, and if i do then then the internet connection doesnt apply to all devices.

This is so utterly stupid.

Last edited:
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but where do I find the “safe browsing” function in the firmware, mentioned on the ASUSWRT 2022 site?

I like the new ethernet display in the status tab.

I really hope i'm missing something, but as of right now VPN Fusion is utter garbage imo! I had no issues using the old VPN client. It worked great. I have 3 remote sites i had configured in the VPN client. I dont want internet through these connections, i just want to access the resources on the local subnet when the vpn is connected. When i'd want to access something, i'd just open up the asus app, connect the vpn to the appropriate site, and all the devices on the network could then access resources over that VPN connection, and my internet still routed out my standard internet connection.

now that they changed it to this VPN Fusion crap i can no longer do this! I can only have a device configured to use 1 vpn connection. I can only set one connection to apply to all devices....even though i have 3 different open vpn sites i'm connecting to at different times, and if i do then then the internet connection doesnt apply to all devices.

This is so utterly stupid.

You're a little further down that road than me.

I still can't get a HMA VPN Connection established - even though this is listed as one of the features of the beta. Doesn't work via the direct integration method (choosing HMA as the VPN type), or by the tried and tested method of using an ovpn file.

I'm keen to try out the Wireguard support - but since I've never setup a Wireguard connection before, there's currently a bit of headscratching going on.

I still can't get a HMA VPN Connection established - even though this is listed as one of the features of the beta. Doesn't work via the direct integration method (choosing HMA as the VPN type), or by the tried and tested method of using an ovpn file.

I'm keen to try out the Wireguard support - but since I've never setup a Wireguard connection before, there's currently a bit of headscratching going on.
Setting up Wireguard on this firmware is easier vs the older RCs some time ago. From the Wireguard GUI, there is a "How to setup" WireGuard Server and Client guide ...

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048280

I have WireGuard Server setup and both WireGuard Clients on MacBookPro 14" and iPhoneXsMax with WireGuard Apps.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but where do I find the “safe browsing” function in the firmware, mentioned on the ASUSWRT 2022 site?
From the look of the screenshot it is the same functionality as with 386 firmware. In that case it’s only available through the ASUS router phone app. It works like Merlin’s DNSFilter, except the only way to tell it’s working is to check the routing tables since it doesn’t change the main DNS server entries. I found they use various DNS servers depending on which option you choose i.e. the security filter uses Cloudflare’s malware filtering 1.1.1.2.

I was really hoping they’d add the functionality outside of the app with 388.

Setting up Wireguard on this firmware is easier vs the older RCs some time ago. From the Wireguard GUI, there is a "How to setup" WireGuard Server and Client guide ...

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048280

I have WireGuard Server setup and both WireGuard Clients on MacBookPro 14" and iPhoneXsMax with WireGuard Apps.

Thank you, LimJK. My old compatriot from SG.

i am now down-under.

The FAQ helped me realize that it was easier than I thought.

Apart from a small problem parsing the WireGuard config from TorGuard:

(persistant keepalive was imported as 25&#10 and not 25)

I can confirm that WireGuard is now working with TorGuard.

However, zero luck with anything to do with HMA. They don‘t even respond to support requests.

ya, i'd like to setup wireguard, for my regular vpn and for site to site tunnels, but of course my other sites are just rt-ac68u an rt-ac86u routers which dont support wireguard yet....and then i tried to install wireguard on my work laptop, and it gave me crap about the user account needing to be an admin. I dont use an admin account on my work computer for normal use (for security reasons we log in with a standard user account, and have a seperate admin account we use). Welp this means wireguard client wont work on my laptop since you need to be logged in as an administrator to use it.

I think setting up site to site tunnels is probably easier than setting up a WireGuard tunnel from a VPN provider.

I’m currently having problems with TorGuard.net

Funnily enough, it worked when the IP was configured on their end for OpenVPN. As soon as I changed it to WireGuard (on their end), it connects but can’t resolve any names or ping anything.

So this is well and truly a beta experience!

Got my WireGuard issues resolved - only thanks to the stellar tech support provided by Torguard. Still not even a reply from HMA.

I wish this firmware would allow you split the WiFi freqs, and bind a device to one tunnel when using 2.4Gig - and a different tunnel when using 5Gig.

I believe YazFi does this by using the Guest network, but I doubt that can be installed with this firmware.

Setting up the stock Guest network here doesn’t appear to give you access to VPN fusion.

Answering my own question - I found this today - https://routerkb.asuscomm.com/?page_id=9265 - appears to be in association with the 9.0.0.4.388.20477 Beta Version Firmware.

Indicates that yes, a WireGuard Client can be setup in VPN Fusion and then that devices can be assigned to it.

Amazon order is on it's way!

It depends on what you mean by policy routing. You certainly can’t do anything even close to what Merlin supports.

But, if you’re like me, and prefer a GUI rather than writing your own script - then device routing is possible.

Once a device has been assigned to a tunnel though, I can’t be assigned to any other. Not even in a switch on / switch off capacity.

The device is then taken / not available to any other tunnel.

This could do with some improvement, eg. assign the device to multiple tunnels with an on / off switch (the switch is already there!)

Also having to down the tunnel before making any changes to it, detracts from the simplicity of the GUI approach.

Otherwise, it is working well.

Can you give me some idea of what Merlin supports? I wasn't aware that WireGuard was even available at all?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!