What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 3.0.0.5.354 Official Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded this morning and no problems experienced. 5G signal is improved. No problems with Xbox as some appear to have had.

2597512606.png

Last edited:
I had to revert back to .270, the centrino 6205 in my laptop won't connect to the router on the 5GHz band. The rest of my 5Ghz capable devices connect fine except for the laptop.

As for more stable wireless, I didn't notice a difference.

Updated to this version this morning and after 8 hours rolled back to .270. New firmware indeed showing better WIFI performance, but also periodically dropping connection, as was in pre-.270 builds.

Interesting, I upgraded to this firmware yesterday, and it's been fine. No disconnects or dropped connections. Been up for over 24 hours now, no problems. If Asus removes the 5.354 and replaces it with 4.354, so will I, but I'm happy with 5.354 so far.

When I flashed it, coming from 270.26, I was assuming that I'd have to erase the nvram and re-enter my settings, but it has been working perfectly (so far *smile*) with the settings from 270.26. So I haven't bothered this time, but have been watching for problems.

Last edited:
Interesting, I upgraded to this firmware yesterday, and it's been fine. No disconnects or dropped connections.
Actually it was not exactly a "disconnect", it was more like WIFI restarts. Sometimes, without any reason, all computer connected to WIFI (2.4 and 5) suddenly stop delivering any data (WIFI indicator on PC is showing that connection is still alive) but another wired PC is OK and can access the web. After 1-2 minutes connection is dropped (for all WIFI connected devices in the same time) and then reconnects again after 10-15 seconds. In 8 hours it happened to me 3 or 4 times. I verified logs but nothing found in it, everything was as usual. Maybe it depends on environment and number devices connected... Will wait for next build...

Actually it was not exactly a "disconnect", it was more like WIFI restarts. Sometimes, without any reason, all computer connected to WIFI (2.4 and 5) suddenly stop delivering any data (WIFI indicator on PC is showing that connection is still alive) but another wired PC is OK and can access the web. After 1-2 minutes connection is dropped (for all WIFI connected devices in the same time) and then reconnects again after 10-15 seconds. In 8 hours it happened to me 3 or 4 times. I verified logs but nothing found in it, everything was as usual. Maybe it depends on environment and number devices connected... Will wait for next build...

There's a good chance that this was because your router was on a crowded channel. It's usually more reliable to manually set a fixed channel instead of letting it on Auto, and also not using 40 MHz channel width on the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band.

i just flashed the official .354, wireless seems to be a little bit faster.
But most most noticeably is the long-range it provides now. Better than before with .270

I downloaded the new firmware from the Asus site. I flashed two of my RT-N66Us the 4.354 firmware. Everything seems ok. I am currently using Windows XP Pro SP3 with Firefox 19.02 and when I log into the router now it gives a message that the router's LAN IP address is trying to store data on my computer for offline use. I have never seen that message before and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this message or if that is a new auto settings backup feature??? :confused:

Last edited:
Yes I know that, but the site (Asus -> support -> download) says beta
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.354

Ah, now I see what you mean, earlier the download wasn't tag as a beta. Oh well, it just shows Asus QA is not at their best.:rolleyes: It's ok probably in two days Merlin's 354 quality release will be ready anyway.

Ah, now I see what you mean, earlier the download wasn't tag as a beta. Oh well, it just shows Asus QA is not at their best.:rolleyes: It's ok probably in two days Merlin's 354 quality release will be ready anyway.

Will take more than two days this time. There are a lot of changes (and I haven't even started looking at the code since I'm on my way to work).

Don't expect anything until the weekend at the earliest.

Is the "Optimize for XBOX option in Advanced Setting" in beta firmware 3.0.0.4.354 on Asus' official site only for a wireless connection and not for a wired connect?

Is the "Optimize for XBOX option in Advanced Setting" in beta firmware 3.0.0.4.354 on Asus' official site only for a wireless connection and not for a wired connect?

I believe the answer is yes since the option is in the wireless section. I don't have xbox so you might wait for other opinions.

I believe the answer is yes since the option is in the wireless section. I don't have xbox so you might wait for other opinions.

Thanks Bluepoint.

I wonder if this could cause issues with other Wireless devices and that's why its got a tick box so it can be disabled rather than just been enabled all the time.

Thanks Bluepoint.

I wonder if this could cause issues with other Wireless devices and that's why its got a tick box so it can be disabled rather than just been enabled all the time.

You will be the one to know by testing it and please let us know your findings.

Yes, this is only for wireless connections.

What it does at a first glance at the code is disable LDPC support in the wireless driver. I assume that Microsoft's LDPC implementation is broken.

No idea what is the potential impact of disabling LDPC, the only information I could find is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_parity-check_code

Plus from what I see, still no source code released. So Merlin gonna be waiting on that, and seeing as this is now consider a "beta" release. Hopefully they will release the source code, as this isn't the first beta asus has posted, and they did release the source code to it.