What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 3.0.0.5.354 Official Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's possible that my old Dell 1470 card with drivers from 2007 might not work with the new firmware so well, but I wouldn't expect a problem with newer 802.11a equipment.

I'm reluctant to come here and explain my issue and then jump on the bandwagon if a few others have problems as well without procedural testing.

What is the root issue here?
I experienced slow reported Wi-Fi connection speeds. 6-9 Mbps instead of my more common 36/48-54 Mpbs and transfer speeds and overall browser response confirmed that I was "moving slower". I wish I'd tested more thoroughly with a LAN thoughput test of some sort because I can't be absolutely certain that my Wi-Fi management utility is anywhere near accurate. (There are way too many variables to consider.)

I reverted to 4.270 and the speeds went back to normal on 802.11a. (I'm connected at 48 Mbps as I type this.) But I haven't tried 4.354 with an nvram reset yet.

Others have seemed to notice slower connect speeds as well. I would think that the root problem might be slower connect speed, not the inability to connect at all. Distance and/or interference combined with slower connect speed might look like the inability to connect I suppose.

I would expect that the "inability to connect" issues are actually something not related to upgraded drivers OR loosely related under certain circumstances.

Not seeing your problem with iphone 5, ipad2 and ipad mini in here. Try to reset the NVRAM then set the 5GHz with a fixed channel preferably the lower channels.
Well, lucky you then. Reverting back to 270, and the problems are gone. Rates up to 216 with the exact same device (iMac 24") make me think I has to do with the new firmware. No config changes made.

Don't rely on the reported link speed - this will dynamically change based on actual network activity. My laptop can show link rates below 50 Mbits, and once I start a transfer it jumps all the way up to 300 Mbits.

Thank You!
Could You advice correct settings for WIFI 2.4 and 5 gHz, if i use iPhone 5 and iPad 4 only?

Thanks!

Start by reverting everything back to factory defaults. Set encryption to WPA2-AES, 2.4 GHz to a fixed channel (use InSSIDer or a similar tool to find out the least crowded channel), 20 MHz width. Set the 5 GHz band to Auto and 40 MHz width.

NOTE: The reason for having to revert back to factory default is that some default settings are different with the new driver. If you keep your old settings (or load saved settings from a previous firmware), then those settings will remain on the old values instead of using the new defaults. I did see some default settings related to wifi were different in 354 versus 270 - some of these are NOT configurable through the webui.

Don't rely on the reported link speed - this will dynamically change based on actual network activity. My laptop can show link rates below 50 Mbits, and once I start a transfer it jumps all the way up to 300 Mbits.
Sure, but I also did some speed tests with both firmwares installed (reading/writing from/to my NAS) and they indicated that the speed had really dropped that much (a net 14,5 MB/sec. versus not 1 MB/sec.).

NOTE: The reason for having to revert back to factory default is that some default settings are different with the new driver. If you keep your old settings (or load saved settings from a previous firmware), then those settings will remain on the old values instead of using the new defaults. I did see some default settings related to wifi were different in 354 versus 270 - some of these are NOT configurable through the webui.
Thanks for that hint, I will try that as soon as a new firmware is published (a stable one, that is hopefully not downgraded to beta afterwards).

Does that mean that we all should revert back to factory default and manually reconfigure our settings? I just flashed from 270.26b to 354 (had to try twice) and I used a config file to restore my settings after wiping the NVRAM via telnet. My connection is great! Stable as a rock and even my pesky Cisco/Linksys AC Media Bridge has a stable connection.

Does that mean that we all should revert back to factory default and manually reconfigure our settings? I just flashed from 270.26b to 354 (had to try twice) and I used a config file to restore my settings after wiping the NVRAM via telnet. My connection is great! Stable as a rock and even my pesky Cisco/Linksys AC Media Bridge has a stable connection.

It's not essential, but recommended.

I haven't reverted my RT-AC66U to its factory defaults in months myself, and still have perfect performance, so your mileage may vary.

My RT-N66U (which is devoted to development) is a different story. A few weeks ago, it would refuse to let me save any settings anymore, I couldn't even load a saved backup. I had to revert it back to factory defaults to fix it.

It's possible to manually export and re-import some of the more important user-entered settings however, like lists of forwarded ports or DHCP static leases. I posted a few messages showing how to do it in the past months.
That should make it much easier to go through the whole reconfiguration process.

354 has worked perfectly well for me until I tried to change the time settings. Changed the time setting from pool.ntp.org to uk.pool.ntp.org and got the message:

'You have changed SSID or security setting. Thus it will result in wireless clients disconnect. Please adjust client's setting for connecting again.'

Couldn't log back in.

Reset router.

During set up changed the default time setting to GMT and got the message:

'A change has been made, causing disconnection to setting page.
You may made the change in changing IP address, changing port number or disconnecting Wi-Fi to RT-N66U.
Please re-connect Wi-Fi and use modified IP address and port number to access setting page of RT-N66U'

Again, I can't log back in.

For those having wireless issues with 354, here's another thing to try out beside restoring to factory defaults: try disabling Hardware Acceleration, then reboot your router. I recently heard from a user (with an older firmware) who resolved his atrocious wireless performance by disabling HW acceleration. Unsure why it would be related, but who knows for sure since CTF is closed source.

354 has worked perfectly well for me until I tried to change the time settings. Changed the time setting from pool.ntp.org to uk.pool.ntp.org and got the message:

'You have changed SSID or security setting. Thus it will result in wireless clients disconnect. Please adjust client's setting for connecting again.'

Couldn't log back in.

Reset router.

During set up changed the default time setting to GMT and got the message:

'A change has been made, causing disconnection to setting page.
You may made the change in changing IP address, changing port number or disconnecting Wi-Fi to RT-N66U.
Please re-connect Wi-Fi and use modified IP address and port number to access setting page of RT-N66U'

Again, I can't log back in.

Try clearing your web browser cache (or using a different browser). I've heard a few reports of weird webui behaviour when changing firmware version related to the browser cache.

Understood and agreed with, but I also experienced slower browsing performance to go along with the lower reported connect speed. I will have to check out the hardware acceleration option as well.

Try clearing your web browser cache (or using a different browser). I've heard a few reports of weird webui behaviour when changing firmware version related to the browser cache.

Tried that but no good :-(. When I try to log in using chrome I get the response 'server at http://192.168.1.1:80 requires a username and password (and they don't work). Isn't the :80 additional to what I've seen before or am I imagining it?

Tried that but no good :-(. When I try to log in using chrome I get the response 'server at http://192.168.1.1:80 requires a username and password (and they don't work). Isn't the :80 additional to what I've seen before or am I imagining it?

Port 80 is the standard port for http. Could be just Chrome making sure you know where you are trying to connect, for security.

Try username and password "admin" in case you were reverted to the default login.

I also had 5GHz wireless issues with the 3.0.0.5.354 firmware. There was lag, choppy performance, and disconnects on some my wireless devices. I always clear the NVRAM and power cycle the router after upgrading firmware. I reverted back to .270, and everything is back to normal.

Nope!

Time for a factory reset but how do I do this? I've tried powering off the router and then plugging it back in with the reset button held in but it has retained the existing settings.

back to Merlin from stock

Stock fw degrades with time. For the momoent Merlin is much better.
My vote for Eric's.

Nope!

Time for a factory reset but how do I do this? I've tried powering off the router and then plugging it back in with the reset button held in but it has retained the existing settings.

Turn your router off. Press the WPS button, and while it's pressed turn it back on. Give it about 5-10 secs, then release the button.

i just noticed that the download speed on the 2,4 signal is stable and range is good but very slow.
The download speed maxes out at around 0,5 to 1 MB/s (different speed tests / downloads from various locations/servers, tried different network devices (Nexus4, Nexus 7, Dell XPS).

After enabling the option "Enhanced interference management" i am able to download with 4 to 6 MB/s using 2,4 GHz.

Anyone experienced the same?

Before (with .270) i did not enable the "Enhanced interference management" option and 2,4 GHz was much faster!

I did a factory reset after flashing .354

In general Wireless network stability and range has been improved, no more lags while streaming videos! The only weird thing is that 2,4GHz is very slow without enabling "Enhanced interference management"
5GHz is perfect, fast and reliable!

See images below for the configuration
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/pq8yhky6/wlan_general.JPG
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/vxzjrw22/wlan_prof.JPG

//edit:
same slow downloads speeds as BuTTuS described!
@BuTTuS: Please enable the Enhanced interference management option and try again!

I just noticed that the slow download speeds on 2.4 GHz are not related to the firmware version. Sorry!

The speed is very slow after switching the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz. Without Hardware Acceleration it is a little bit faster.
With 2.4 GHz set to 40GHz i get around 4 to 6 GHz per second.

So what i am asking myself now:

- Why is 2.4 GHz so slow when using 20GHz? Why is 40GHz so much faster?
- What does the Enhanced interefence management do exactly? (2.4 GHz and 20 MHz is much faster after enabling Enhanced interefence management
- What is the b/g Protection doing exactly?

Thank you guys! Im still trying to find the best wireless settings possible!

//edit:

i am still not sure what is causing the slow wireless speed. I just noticed that 40MHz is also slow until i reactivate b/g Protection again!

//edit²:
20MHz is slow even with b/g Protection activated or not

//edit³:
it also depends on the channel i choose. I could not get a faster result than with automatic channel selection... I tried channel 1 (there is no other AP on CH 1-3) but everytime it is slower than auto selection... (which is currently using channel 6)

//edit:

the wireless speed of my ap depends on the channel selection. Channel 6 with 20MHz is the fastest for me (everything else is on factory defaults)

Last edited:
I came home today, no Internet....this is with the stock 270 after having issues with 354, had to do a factory reset to get it to work again. Did another 270 firmware push again from fresh downloaded from Asus site, then another reset.Will see how it goes, few pages back I said I went back to 270 few days ago. Ill report here if it happens again.