What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 3.0.0.5.354 Official Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's a good chance that this was because your router was on a crowded channel. It's usually more reliable to manually set a fixed channel instead of letting it on Auto, and also not using 40 MHz channel width on the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band.
Unfortunately this is not a case.
First of all, I'm using fixed channel for 2.4 and 5GHz. The channel for 2.4GHz was selected based on data from inSSIDer, and 5Ghz is completely free in my environment. :cool:
Second, 2.4GHz is used only by one PC, two other PCs are using 5GHz. And disconnects happened to all 3 PCs in same time.
Third, reverting back to .270 resolved this issue immediately. Until now - no problems.

Plus from what I see, still no source code released. So Merlin gonna be waiting on that, and seeing as this is now consider a "beta" release. Hopefully they will release the source code, as this isn't the first beta asus has posted, and they did release the source code to it.

Someone posted which I don't remember now, that the source code was also released today and it seems RMerlin acknowledged the presence of it.

Will take more than two days this time. There are a lot of changes (and I haven't even started looking at the code since I'm on my way to work).

Added link below that claims source code is available today.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10512

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is not a case.
First of all, I'm using fixed channel for 2.4 and 5GHz. The channel for 2.4GHz was selected based on data from inSSIDer, and 5Ghz is completely free in my environment. :cool:
Second, 2.4GHz is used only by one PC, two other PCs are using 5GHz. And disconnects happened to all 3 PCs in same time.
Third, reverting back to .270 resolved this issue immediately. Until now - no problems.

Hello woland,

Do you mind sending me some information about your setup with the .354 firmware?
Were you trying the 3.0.0.5.354 or .4.354 firmware?

If you don't mind going back to it and using it for a bit, can you also provide the settings file when you use it?
Descriptions of any other symptoms or patterns you experienced would also be appreciated.

Someone posted which I don't remember now, that the source code was also released today and it seems RMerlin acknowledged the presence of it.

Added link below that claims source code is available today.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10512
Well I was looking threw the N66U download, and there wasn't a source code released yet(still isn't). But asus did indeed release the source code for the AC66U, and the .354 build.

Well I was looking threw the N66U download, and there wasn't a source code released yet(still isn't). But asus did indeed release the source code for the AC66U, and the .354 build.

The RT-N66U code is indeed there, it's just a bit further down the list.

Ok, i will install it today evening again and will try another shot. Once the problem is reproduced i will post extra details...

...and it was .5.354
-----------added after 5 hours------
Looks like after second installation no more drops, everything is working fine...
Interesting...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
-----------added after 5 hours------
Looks like after second installation no more drops, everything is working fine...
Interesting...

same, here. very stable for wireless - first time I can play 720p my kids cartoons over 2,4 ghz from dlna@omv. before there was a many connection drops and video buffering issues - right now i can even play full hd and everything works smoothly :D new broadcom driver rocks ! \m/ :)

same, here. very stable for wireless - first time I can play 720p my kids cartoons over 2,4 ghz from dlna@omv. before there was a many connection drops and video buffering issues - right now i can even play full hd and everything works smoothly :D new broadcom driver rocks ! \m/ :)

Did you need to enable the new Xbox tick box on the wireless page to get stable streaming or not?

Did you need to enable the new Xbox tick box on the wireless page to get stable streaming or not?

there is no difference when i switch xbox streaming checkbox on or off - plays smoothly all the time :)
i have WNCE2001 (wireless client card to ethernet) connected to samsung tv.
before on all FW (include RMerlin mod and tomato by shibby) i have video buffering lag.

Last edited:
There does seem to be an overall improvement in signal strength and throughput at low-strength locations. I haven't done any actual tests to confirm but I've noticed a definite and noticeable improvement.

Without ticking the box I get about 500KB/s while downloading a demo to the xbox. With the option ticked around 1700KB/s. I don't know if the MS servers can't deliver more, because usually my internet connection maxes out at around 2600KB/s.

i just noticed that the download speed on the 2,4 signal is stable and range is good but very slow.
The download speed maxes out at around 0,5 to 1 MB/s (different speed tests / downloads from various locations/servers, tried different network devices (Nexus4, Nexus 7, Dell XPS).

After enabling the option "Enhanced interference management" i am able to download with 4 to 6 MB/s using 2,4 GHz.

Anyone experienced the same?

Before (with .270) i did not enable the "Enhanced interference management" option and 2,4 GHz was much faster!

I did a factory reset after flashing .354

In general Wireless network stability and range has been improved, no more lags while streaming videos! The only weird thing is that 2,4GHz is very slow without enabling "Enhanced interference management"
5GHz is perfect, fast and reliable!

See images below for the configuration
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/pq8yhky6/wlan_general.JPG
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/vxzjrw22/wlan_prof.JPG

//edit:
same slow downloads speeds as BuTTuS described!
@BuTTuS: Please enable the Enhanced interference management option and try again!

Last edited:
i just noticed that the download speed on the 2,4 signal is stable and range is good but very slow.

I can't reproduce this issue - I'm getting the 8-9MB/s I expect to be getting on wireless transfers. Are you sure you're not using a channel with lots of interference from other AP's or devices on the same spectrum? That's why "Enhanced Interference Management" may be helping you.

I can't reproduce this issue - I'm getting the 8-9MB/s I expect to be getting on wireless transfers. Are you sure you're not using a channel with lots of interference from other AP's or devices on the same spectrum? That's why "Enhanced Interference Management" may be helping you.

Yes, there are many access points (take a look at the picture, in the red box you are able to see my 2,4GHz wireless aps)

But there is a huge difference between .270 and .354 regarding download speeds, like BuTTuS also noticed (i think he noticed the same problems) This seems to be the new driver version.

Furthermore i just noticed that the 5GHz download speed is also very slow (0,5 to 1 MB/s(. In comparison to the 2,4 GHz networks with "Enhanced interference management" enabled with 5-7 MB/s...)

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/rpl0s8p9/aps.png (sorted by channel numbers)

i will do some more speed testings tomorrow, with merlins .270 and .354

Last edited:
Noticing 802.11a slowdown with 4.354

Hi all,

I only have one 802.11a client. It's a Dell Dual-band 1470 (older a/b/g Broadcom chipset) internal card.

With older firmwares 4.112, 4.220, 4.260, 4.270, Merlin's 4.270.25b I was typically seeing connection speeds of 36-54 Mbps from 30-50 feet away.

I tried 4.354 and noticed slowness and realized I was connecting mostly in the 6-9 Mbps range from 20 feet away.

I'm now back to Asus' 4.270 and again seeing 36-54 Mbps.

I'm running on channels 44+48 (although I don't really have a reason to) and I'm the only one in the area on 802.11a.
FWIW, There's 12-15 b/g/n AP's in the neighborhood and three of those are on channels 2, 4 and 9+5. (Thanks neighbors...)
I'm on 11 for b/g/n and roughly 30-40 dB above others on that channel.

Anyway, I thought this might be a good data point regarding the 4.354 release. :)

But there is a huge difference between .270 and .354 regarding download speeds, like BuTTuS also noticed (i think he noticed the same problems) This seems to be the new driver version.

BuTTuS' speed problems were Xbox-related - Xbox 360 Slim consoles suffering with performance issues were a known issue supposed to be fixed in this release with the "Optimize for Xbox" checkbox. Your problem is entirely different.

Just before ruling out .354, have you tried a factory reset?

I upgraded to 354 when it came out few days back. Came home today and no internet. Rebooted the router couple of times no go. Plugged pc in cable modem internet working. Tried router power off, on couple of times again, reboot, no go. I then put back 270 and internet is back. I did not have time to mess with it. I'm glad is working on 270 :)

RTN66U
5 GHz fw 260 vs 354 - No difference in signal strength or speedtest.net results
2.4 GHz fw 260 vs 354 - No difference

This is using a USB-AC53 adapter.

I upgraded to 354 when it came out few days back. Came home today and no internet. Rebooted the router couple of times no go. Plugged pc in cable modem internet working. Tried router power off, on couple of times again, reboot, no go. I then put back 270 and internet is back. I did not have time to mess with it. I'm glad is working on 270 :)

Were you using the *.*.5.354 or *.*.4.354 release? I'm wondering if you had the accidentally released *.*.354 build and ran into a bug with Dual WAN.