What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wifi driver

What wifi driver is it in this build?

Do a "wl ver" to se that.

thank you ;)

this----------->

Sorry, I don't understand your answere. :confused:
Seems I posted in wrong thread. I meant in RMerlin custom build.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks but that seems to be from Tomato build.:D

I'm getting good speed using Toastman's newest build v1.28.0500 with wifi driver 5.100.138.9 over Shibby's 97 64K NVRAM.

I'm getting good speed using Toastman's newest build v1.28.0500 with wifi driver 5.100.138.9 over Shibby's 97 64K NVRAM.

That's strange as most people find the newest 138.20 driver much better.
After a a few tweaks in Advanced settings I am actually getting with Shibby 097 64K slightly better wifi speeds then I get from Asus firmware: ~135 Mbits on average and ~150 in peaks on 5Ghz band with a large file transfer.

After a a few tweaks in Advanced settings I am actually getting with Shibby 097 64K slightly better wifi speeds then I get from Asus firmware: ~135 Mbits on average and ~150 in peaks on 5Ghz band with a large file transfer.

Please describe this tweaks

Can you post a copy of your "Advance Wireless" set up? BTW, Toastman's wifi driver is 138.9.

Please describe this tweaks

I only tried them for 5Ghz band.
I set it to N only and 40 Mhz in Basic settings.
Then, in Advanced section I changed:

APSD Mode -> diasabled
802.11n Preamble -> Green Field
Frame Burst -> Enable
Interference Mitigation -> wlan auto (this one has probably very little influence on speed if any)

With default settings I was getting around 100 Mbit downlink speed. After changing these I got it up to 130-135, so it makes quite a difference for me.

Can you post a copy of your "Advance Wireless" set up? BTW, Toastman's wifi driver is 138.9.

Afterburner Disable
AP Isolation Disable
Authentication Type Auto
Basic Rate Default
Beacon Interval 100
CTS Protection Mode Disable
Regulatory Mode Off
Country / Region US
Bluetooth Coexistence Disable
Distance / ACK Timing 0
DTIM Interval 1
Fragmentation Threshold 2346
Frame Burst Enable *
Maximum Clients 128
Multicast Rate Auto
Preamble Long
802.11n Preamble Green Field *
Overlapping BSS Coexistence Off
RTS Threshold 2347
Receive Antenna Auto
Transmit Antenna Auto
Transmit Power mW 42
Transmission Rate Auto
Interference Mitigation WLAN Auto *
WMM Enable
No ACK Disable
APSD Mode Disable *
Wireless Multicast Forwarding Disable

I marked with * the 4 settings I changed. Otherwise it's left untouched but I guess in Toastman build the defaults could be a bit different, so I post it all.

Afterburner Disable
AP Isolation Disable
Authentication Type Auto
Basic Rate Default
Beacon Interval 100
CTS Protection Mode Disable
Regulatory Mode Off
Country / Region US
Bluetooth Coexistence Disable
Distance / ACK Timing 0
DTIM Interval 1
Fragmentation Threshold 2346
Frame Burst Enable *
Maximum Clients 128
Multicast Rate Auto
Preamble Long
802.11n Preamble Green Field *
Overlapping BSS Coexistence Off
RTS Threshold 2347
Receive Antenna Auto
Transmit Antenna Auto
Transmit Power mW 42
Transmission Rate Auto
Interference Mitigation WLAN Auto *
WMM Enable
No ACK Disable
APSD Mode Disable *
Wireless Multicast Forwarding Disable

I marked with * the 4 settings I changed. Otherwise it's left untouched but I guess in Toastman build the defaults could be a bit different, so I post it all.

Mine is the same except for the following below. These are for both 2.4/5ghz.
When I had shibby 97, it was the same sitting. I still have better results with Toastman because his drivers are newer.

Frame Burst Disable
802.11n Preamble Mixed Mode
Transmit Power mW 0
Interference Mitigation WLAN none
APSD Mode Disable

When I had shibby 97, it was the same sitting. I still have better results with Toastman because his drivers are newer.

Well, obviously I can't comment on your results with Toastman's or Shibby's builds but please don't spread misinformation. Toastman's build uses 138.9 driver whereas Shibby has 138.20 which is the most up to date Broadcom driver taken from Asus stock firmware. Now, I guess we can both agree that 20 is higher a number than 9 ;)

Well, obviously I can't comment on your results with Toastman's or Shibby's builds but please don't spread misinformation. Toastman's build uses 138.9 driver whereas Shibby has 138.20 which is the most up to date Broadcom driver taken from Asus stock firmware. Now, I guess we can both agree that 20 is higher a number than 9 ;)

Not entirely true, Shibby uses a newer driver version than the one updated by Teddy Bear but afaik there is a least a newer version used by Netgear in the latest WNDR4500 firmware.

Also, I've seen different build dates with the same build version between Asus releases. That probably means that the driver was recompiled with (possibly) different options, which might affect stability/performance. So, basing expectations just on the version number can be misleading.

Not entirely true, Shibby uses a newer driver version than the one updated by Teddy Bear but afaik there is a least a newer version used by Netgear in the latest WNDR4500 firmware.

Also, I've seen different build dates with the same build version between Asus releases. That probably means that the driver was recompiled with (possibly) different options, which might affect stability/performance. So, basing expectations just on the version number can be misleading.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for clarification.

Hi everybody,

i've installed the 0.97 shibby's version, i'd like to improve wireless performances, what can it do? Should i work only on mw output power? Or are there other settings that can help?
Thanks.

i'm having a problem, i'm wondering if i'm doing correctly or not: i can not delete a virtual wireless network i've created, i just click on delete button but nothing happens. What should i do? Thanks again.

You can't delete it just turn it off. If you wan to delete you have to NVRAM resett and reconfigure.

octopus