What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, thanks guys for the advice! I've done it all from scratch after upgrading to tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-100-AIO-64K.trx (with nvram erase). Unfortunatelly, my WiFi (specially the 5Ghz one) is going really bad (compared to my old v92 build). Before i had spots in the house where i could get-35 to -40 dBm, now i get even below -80 and lose the connection!

What would you recommend me to do? Go back to v92 or other build? Or try to play with settings for the WiFi?

P.S. I've also noticed the WAN speed is not as good as before, but as i haven't done exact benchmarks, it might only be an ISP problem (before my DL would just jump at arround 11MB/s - and now it can hardly go to 9.5MB/s)

Well, thanks guys for the advice! I've done it all from scratch after upgrading to tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-100-AIO-64K.trx (with nvram erase). Unfortunatelly, my WiFi (specially the 5Ghz one) is going really bad (compared to my old v92 build). Before i had spots in the house where i could get-35 to -40 dBm, now i get even below -80 and lose the connection!

What would you recommend me to do? Go back to v92 or other build? Or try to play with settings for the WiFi?

P.S. I've also noticed the WAN speed is not as good as before, but as i haven't done exact benchmarks, it might only be an ISP problem (before my DL would just jump at arround 11MB/s - and now it can hardly go to 9.5MB/s)

You would have to check for specific bugs, but there are a couple of bad bugs in 099 and 100 versions of shibby's firmware. I think one's a nasty memory leak but under certain conditions, not sure what the others are. Recommended firmware right now is 097 which is what I'm using now and it's pretty nice.

I don't use the 5ghz channel at all so I can't really say if going back to my version will really help. Sorry but I can't check either as I don't have any 5ghz devices.

Good luck.

You would have to check for specific bugs, but there are a couple of bad bugs in 099 and 100 versions of shibby's firmware. I think one's a nasty memory leak but under certain conditions, not sure what the others are. Recommended firmware right now is 097 which is what I'm using now and it's pretty nice.

I don't use the 5ghz channel at all so I can't really say if going back to my version will really help. Sorry but I can't check either as I don't have any 5ghz devices.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I've downgraded from v100 to tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-097-AIO-64K.trx and now my WAN is way much better! Back to 11.3MB/s. But the WiFi is still bad (on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). I have a "10$ router" with one antenna that has much stronger signal than Asus RT-N66U... and that's so bad (considering i've paid like 250$ for the Asus)!
I've tried upping the Transmit Power from 42mW to 80mW (i'm afraid to push it further as my router tends to get so hot you can hardly touch it) but no miracle happened. Is there anything else i could try to fix this?

I am using tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-100-AIO-64K.trx on my Asus RT-N66U as an access point with DHCP disabled.
However, from what I can see the Scheduler is not working in access point mode since the time was disabled.
Can anyone know how to fix it ? As last time I used DD-Wrt, the router still auto reboot itself when I set the timing to every 2 days in an access point mode.

Block all ports except for 22.

Has anyone able to block all ports going to and from a pc except for a single port, in this case port 22?

I have a linux server running ssh and want to allow only port 22 going to and from it (wan to lan and lan to wan).

I tried playing around with firewall iptables and it did not work. Also tried access restriction and it did not work.

I have a Asus N66U with shibby tomato firmware and for the life if me i can't figure out how to setup my NAS the way I want. Maybe its not possible? I have a 2TB usb hard drive connected. It has personal backup folders and a folder with media that i would like to stream to various computers around the house. Now is there a way to make a user name and password that has read/write access to the whole drive and a user/pass with read only access to just the "movies" folder so my important stuff doesnt accidentally get deleted or accessed by the kiddies?

I have a Asus N66U with shibby tomato firmware and for the life if me i can't figure out how to setup my NAS the way I want. Maybe its not possible? I have a 2TB usb hard drive connected. It has personal backup folders and a folder with media that i would like to stream to various computers around the house. Now is there a way to make a user name and password that has read/write access to the whole drive and a user/pass with read only access to just the "movies" folder so my important stuff doesnt accidentally get deleted or accessed by the kiddies?

I'm assuming that you connected the 2TB usb hard drive to your NAS, that should be done from NAS WebUI screen, not in the router. I had a Synology 1512+ connected to the Asus N66U (shibby), a 2TB usb hard drive connected to the NAS via eSATA cable, and had done exactly the same privilege settings from Synology NAS WebUI screen.

William

Last edited:
I got it setup thanks... I was over looking something simple. Now has anyone figured out how to speed up the wireless and wan speeds? It's laughably slow compared to asuswrt-merlin.

Last edited:
is it the same hardware in the RT-AC66U as in the RT-N66U?
So you can install the tomato on the RT-AC66U too?

No Tomato support for the RT-AC66U yet I'm afraid.

The decreased radio output power began I believe when the wireless driver got update in Shibby's builds and brought the version in line with the lastest one used by Asus.

A lot of people have stated the low coverage problem but I'm not sure if it's being looked into.

Last edited:
http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-101-EN/Asus RT-N66u 64k/

New build 101 released today, changelog below...OpenVPN server working 100%!;)

[RELEASE] 101

- IPv6 suppord fixed (sit.ko module depends)

- Transmission fixed (libiconv depends issue)

- RAID 0/1 support. Modules and mdadm tool available in extras. Mega-VPN and AIO have RAID modules and tool build-in

- radvd update to 1.9.1 + libdaemon

- Memory leak fixed (when IPv6 is enabled)

- L2TP WAN connection fixed

- VLAN mapping for Belkin routers

- miniDLNA update to 1.0.25

- AsusRed and LinksysRed themes bu @Nitro 2nd edition

- Linksys E2500 Power LED fixed

- Images for Belkin routers (K26)

Hi guys,

2 questions for you:
- what is the purpose of using vlan wifi connection in a small environment (10 devices connected, some of them on 2,4ghz others in 5ghz)? Is it worth it?
- are there any other antennas that can help improving signal quality all over the flat?

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-101-EN/Asus RT-N66u 64k/

New build 101 released today, changelog below...OpenVPN server working 100%!;)

[RELEASE] 101

- IPv6 suppord fixed (sit.ko module depends)

- Transmission fixed (libiconv depends issue)

- RAID 0/1 support. Modules and mdadm tool available in extras. Mega-VPN and AIO have RAID modules and tool build-in

- radvd update to 1.9.1 + libdaemon

- Memory leak fixed (when IPv6 is enabled)

- L2TP WAN connection fixed

- VLAN mapping for Belkin routers

- miniDLNA update to 1.0.25

- AsusRed and LinksysRed themes bu @Nitro 2nd edition

- Linksys E2500 Power LED fixed

- Images for Belkin routers (K26)

Does the OpvenVPN have support for certificate and user/password? I know it supports certificate but wanted to know if you can also add user/password login as well.

interface names

Is it possible to rename interface names to reflect what they are?

Like:
Vlan2 to WAN1
br0 to LAN
eth2 to WLAN5G
eth1 to WLAN2,4G

Is it possible to rename interface names to reflect what they are?

Like:
Vlan2 to WAN1
br0 to LAN
eth2 to WLAN5G
eth1 to WLAN2,4G

No. The whole firmware will expect these to be specific names, so you will most likely end up breaking all sort of things by changing these.

Nevermind what I wrote before. The problem was due to a faulty network card on my other laptop.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

just wanted to report my experience with the RT-N66U + Tomato Shibby. I'm on a 100/10 German Cable and came from a default DIR-600 which the company provides with the contract. I had connection drops all day especially in IRC and other programs. We got a total of 7 devices in the house that are using LAN/WLAN (PC, NB, NB, Tab, Tab, Smartphone, Smartphone). Also torrent/usenet/ipv6 tunnel/vpn/proxy. My guess is that the DLink just couldn't handle the mass of connections properly. So after 6 months of trying different solutions I finally ordered the RT-N66U after a lot of research on the net.

Immediately after unboxing I installed the Tomato Shibby 101 as described in this guide: http://www.shadowandy.net/2012/03/asus-rt-n66u-tomatousb-firmware-flashing-guide.htm

Important note: Read the comments! One describes how to reset NVRAM (Hold WPS for 30 seconds during power on, release, wait for reboot) without the web-ui after flashing. Very important to know or you won't get access to it!

After successful flashing I configure the device within 15 minutes, everything went very smooth, connected the device to WAN and voila... we are live :)

Couple more tests later with every device pounding the intra/internet to its limits indicate: Maximum Up/Download rates, No more connection drops, Fast and reliable connections overall

Now I read that the Asus Adapter aren't of the best quality and tend to fail very quick so I will keep a close eye on that one but for now all I can say about this device is that it is really superb.

Umm, what's actually the smartest or least risky way to flash? That guide says that user should be playing with reset-button while the utility program is working, and that doesn't sound too smart.

I had stock FW with 32kB NVRAM, and I did this without any problems:

1. Hard reset (wps-button)
2. Recovery mode on
3. Flashed Tomato (v 101) in with Asus utility prog and waited untill router went on again.

FW seems good and I'll make a little donation for it:)

edit. Instructions from dd-wrt.com:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Upload_Firmware_via_Recovery_Utility

Last edited:
My personal recommendation to flash Tomato on top of the original firmware:

1) Reboot in recovery mode (keep reset pressed while turning the router on)
2) Flash Tomato using the recovery tool
3) After it's completed, turn the router off. Press WPS, turn it back on while still pressing WPS. After 4-5 secs the power LED should flash - release the WPS button.