What's new

asus xt8 constant disconnects with latest few firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markm75

Occasional Visitor
I have two asus xt8's, ever since the latest two updates (now at 3.0.0.4.386_45934), i experience constant disconnects over time on various devices and 2.4 doesnt reach as far as it used to.

I have tried tri band mode and 5ghz smart connect (still not sure which mode is better either).

Pretty sure i've tried different channels instead of auto as well.

When i first got this maybe 1 year ago it was rock solid.
Now frequently wifi will try to connect on android and say either ip address couldnt be allocated or similar.. or connected no internet.
Sometimes toggling the wifi on the android device will cure things, at least for a while.

Has anyone else ran into this? I'd like to say going back to some previous firmware may fix it, but i'm not sure how to do that? (edit, i just forced the 42095 and its on there now, i dont see older firmware on the website however?)
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Yes, I had to revert to 42095 from 45934. The Tablo that we use a lot has been a continuing problem with newer firmware, everything else has been fine.

Anyways, just go to "Administration" -> "Firmware Upgrade". You'll see "Manual Firmware Update" almost at the bottom of the settings on that page. Use that one, you can put the firmware somewhere on a wired desktop or laptop and point the "Manual Firmware Update" at it. Update the node(s) first, then the router last. After reverting, I always factory reset all the nodes, resetting the nodes first, then the router last. Then use the smartphone Asus Router app to get the mesh going. When things are running there, I switch to the web admin interface for the detailed settings. Don't use a saved configuration file unless it was made on the 42095 firmware version, just restore your settings manually.

For me, I don't want a router with such an old release facing the internet; i.e. version 42095 on the ZenWiFi AX. So I've put in an RT-AX86U as my "main" router, wired-only. Radios are turned off on the 86U, of course. The easiest thing for me is to use the Asus Router app to change the mode of the ZenWiFi AX to Access Point (AP) mode. And the 86U is updated to the latest release. So I have an up-to-date router facing the internet, and the ZenWiFi AX provides a great wireless backhaul mesh that works perfectly for me. Really liking this configuration.

Yes, I had to revert to 42095 from 45934. The Tablo that we use a lot has been a continuing problem with newer firmware, everything else has been fine.

Anyways, just go to "Administration" -> "Firmware Upgrade". You'll see "Manual Firmware Update" almost at the bottom of the settings on that page. Use that one, you can put the firmware somewhere on a wired desktop or laptop and point the "Manual Firmware Update" at it. Update the node(s) first, then the router last. After reverting, I always factory reset all the nodes, resetting the nodes first, then the router last. Then use the smartphone Asus Router app to get the mesh going. When things are running there, I switch to the web admin interface for the detailed settings. Don't use a saved configuration file unless it was made on the 42095 firmware version, just restore your settings manually.

For me, I don't want a router with such an old release facing the internet; i.e. version 42095 on the ZenWiFi AX. So I've put in an RT-AX86U as my "main" router, wired-only. Radios are turned off on the 86U, of course. The easiest thing for me is to use the Asus Router app to change the mode of the ZenWiFi AX to Access Point (AP) mode. And the 86U is updated to the latest release. So I have an up-to-date router facing the internet, and the ZenWiFi AX provides a great wireless backhaul mesh that works perfectly for me. Really liking this configuration.
Thanks thats what i did..
Though i didnt do a factory reset.. can you just restore current backup if you do a reset?

Not sure if not doing the reset is why, but even with 42095 my 2.4ghz range is not nearly as long as it was before. I'm thinking the firmware that worked better was before this one, but how do you find even older firmware (the website only goes to 42095 )?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!