What's new

Asus ZenWifi 6 (AX) Router Security Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frankhere

Regular Contributor
Folks, being new to ASUS ( Coming from Netgear ) can someone address this question for me?

When I initially setup the system I gave a unique name and password to access the router itself ( for mgmt).

Yet when I am setting up the parameters for AiProtection ( from Trend Micro) it suggest "Default router Login and user name pass word change" = NO - the first line below.

How am I to view this?
a. a factory password and user name is still part of the router , hiding somewhere and I don't see it?
b. OR this AiProtection app does not 'see' that I have set a unique user name and password for the routers managment.

Any guidance is welcomed -

AND , note the other NO's on the list...
Disable WPS ( then I will assume one will need a password to log on to the network)
UPnP service - I plead guilty and not sure how I would use this today or at a later date
Web Access from WAN - if disabled , will I not be able to VPN into the network ( with DDNS)

thanks for your kind help.

upload_2020-2-9_9-41-57.png

It should have picked up the password/name change, maybe a reboot will fix that.

Web access from Wan must be off unless you want to be hacked.

WPS turn off.

UPNP is okay , it's on the LAN side . If you turn it off and find a problem with networking you can always turn it on again.

It should have picked up the password/name change, maybe a reboot will fix that.

Web access from Wan must be off unless you want to be hacked.

WPS turn off.

UPNP is okay , it's on the LAN side . If you turn it off and find a problem with networking you can always turn it on again.
That is great advice....

If I do fill in line one ( default User name and password) I will just add the exact same / PW as I have have already set , that should not case an issue I suspect?

thank you again!! ( really appreciated)

If I do fill in line one ( default User name and password) I will just add the exact same / PW as I have have already set , that should not case an issue I suspect?

Yes that should do the trick, in the Administration page just re-enter your username and password and save , that should cure the problem.

Yes that should do the trick, in the Administration page just re-enter your username and password and save , that should cure the problem.
Just a note ( as this is not an issue), I did pursue my approach called out in post # 3 above and it did not 'stick'. Logging out then back in, the cell I entered for password remained empty.
Not an issue, but thought to let you know. Tried several times and just called it a day.

thanks!

WPS turn off.

Early on AiMesh needed WPS to be enabled, I don't know if that's still the case.
So, if you want to use AiMesh you may need to turn it on when your adding routers to the Mesh, I'm pretty sure it can be turned off once that's been done.

Related question: I just turned my wireless encryption from WPA2-Personal to WPA2/WPA3-Personal (authentication method) and now aiprotection is having a stroke reporting high risk item?

I didn't want to start a new string for this (simple) question.
I see where I can restore a previous config on my existing ZenWifi 6 Router. Yet I fail to see where I can go back to the previous firmware rev.
A> Is that possible?
B> I see where I can save my config to restore, yet I do not see a place to save the existing firmware rev ( I am use to doing this on Netgear)
C> If I cannot do a 'last rev' firmware install does that infer I have to go all the way back to the factory install / default ?

I do not have any issues, I just like to know how to work the Rounter in case I do not this option.

Any thoughts on this is welcomed learning on my side.

thanks

Last edited:
The router doesn't keep copies of previous firmware versions so you can't "roll back" a version. If you want to use a different firmware version (either older or newer) you simply flash it using the "Firmware Upgrade" tab. You can't save an image of the currently installed firmware. You can download different (current/older) versions from Asus' website.

Doing a Factory default Restore doesn't effect the firmware version it merely resets the user settings to their default values (for the currently installed firmware).

Last edited:
The router doesn't keep copies of previous firmware versions so you can't "roll back" a version. If you want to use a different firmware version (either older or newer) you simply flash it using the "Firmware Upgrade" tab. You can't save an image of the currently installed firmware. You can download different (current/older) versions from Asus' website.

Doing a Factory default Restore doesn't effect the firmware version it merely resets the user settings to their default values (for the currently installed firmware).
thanks...

yes, a few things you offered I understood e.g. router keeping a copy of past firmware on board is not done. ( I would have made copies of the firmware to my hard drive, off-router location).
Also, I was under the impression firmware 'upgrade' was non selectable . That is, you would upgrade to the next/newest firmware from Asus and going backwards would not be a selectable thing,
unless you could point the router to a location-specific firmware revision ( other than the existing or next level release). SO, I will have to figure this one out to see how it is executed.

thank you for taking the time to answer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!