What's new

Asus ZenWifi AC Slave Router Speed Cap?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Halltron

New Around Here
Hey Everyone,

First time poster here and total noob when it comes to networking...

I just "upgraded my Comcast Xfinity xFi modem/router and 3 xfinity pods to:

Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 cable modem
Asus ZenWiFi AC3000 - x4

My goal was to get and faster and more reliable WiFi signal throughout my 8000 sq. ft. house as well as try to give Comcast as little $$$ as possible, lol.

I spent about 4 hours last night setting everything up (again, total noob when it comes to networking). For the most part everything is going pretty well. I have full wifi coverage to every point in my house. I have my main PC hardwired directly to the main router and am getting roughly 800-900mbps dl steadily. I pay for the gigabit dl from Comcast so that's pretty good. I also hardwired every slave router to get the best speeds possible to them.

My issue is when I run a speed test off each slave router (weather sitting right next to it through wireless or through a hardwired device via a LAN port on the back of the slave router) I only get about 80-100mbps dl. While watching the speed test it almost looks like there is a block or cap on it. I was really hoping to get close to that 1 gigabit dl speed at each slave router point wired and strong wifi speeds as well.

As I have said, I'm a total noob to this so I'm wondering if there to a cap option im missing or am I doing something wrong?

I am using brand new cat 5e cables throughout. The main router does go to a switch but every cable, patch panel, and switch are capable of gigabit dl. I am not expecting 1 gig dl bc I am aware of lose of speed through distance and the signal being split. But I feel 80-100 mbps is way low. Not to mention I'd get better speeds from those stupid Xfinity Pods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hey Everyone,

First time poster here and total noob when it comes to networking...

I just "upgraded my Comcast Xfinity xFi modem/router and 3 xfinity pods to:

Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 cable modem
Asus ZenWiFi AC3000 - x4

My goal was to get and faster and more reliable WiFi signal throughout my 8000 sq. ft. house as well as try to give Comcast as little $$$ as possible, lol.

I spent about 4 hours last night setting everything up (again, total noob when it comes to networking). For the most part everything is going pretty well. I have full wifi coverage to every point in my house. I have my main PC hardwired directly to the main router and am getting roughly 800-900mbps dl steadily. I pay for the gigabit dl from Comcast so that's pretty good. I also hardwired every slave router to get the best speeds possible to them.

My issue is when I run a speed test off each slave router (weather sitting right next to it through wireless or through a hardwired device via a LAN port on the back of the slave router) I only get about 80-100mbps dl. While watching the speed test it almost looks like there is a block or cap on it. I was really hoping to get close to that 1 gigabit dl speed at each slave router point wired and strong wifi speeds as well.

As I have said, I'm a total noob to this so I'm wondering if there to a cap option im missing or am I doing something wrong?

I am using brand new cat 5e cables throughout. The main router does go to a switch but every cable, patch panel, and switch are capable of gigabit dl. I am not expecting 1 gig dl bc I am aware of lose of speed through distance and the signal being split. But I feel 80-100 mbps is way low. Not to mention I'd get better speeds from those stupid Xfinity Pods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

What do you get with your PC wired in place of a Zen node, downstream from the switch?

OE

What do you get with your PC wired in place of a Zen node, downstream from the switch?
OE
This was the problem. I used all new cat 5e cables except the 1 cat6 cable that came with the Asus routers. I used it from the router to the wall jack that goes down to my switch panel and that ended up being the issue. I swapped it out and everything seem to be much better. Still not the 1 gig DL I pay for but its in the 500-700 range with I'm fine living with. Thanks for bring that thought to my head!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!