What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I checked for a firmware upgrade this morning, the response was the current version on the v.1 router (3.0.0.4.388_23012-g1166fba) was the most current. However, the most current firmware for my two v.1 nodes is version 3.0.0.4.388_23285-g5068da5. This is the first time the firmware version for the nodes will be different from the version for the router. As a neophyte, I really don't know if I should upgrade the nodes at this time or wait until the router and the nodes are ready for upgrade. Thoughts?

My current firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_23285-g5068da5 and I flash it last weekend.
I download it directly from the asus website:

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285
Version 3.0.0.4.388.23285
48.5 MB
2023/05/15

I order today one extra node, I place the one upstairs down and the RSSI is now 47dBm
The new one I will place upstairs on a different location where the one one what put down now.

Today it was one time orange connection, RADAR but it want also on green back.

I hope with a new extra asus zenWifi AX XT8 that my home connection will finaly stable.
I will keep you all in the loop when I received it an placed it.

My setup was solid for 15 days, but this morning the main router rebooted without a logical reason. I did not see any errors in the log and did not have any power issues at home.

I'am start since last night to using: Stable: 388.2_2_0-gnuton1Latest
I set my backhaul Control Channel 100 and Channel bandwidth 80 MHz
I had a couple of times that the backhaul was blicking blue and all connection was lost with main router.

hopefully this will fix all my problems and hopefully it will stay like this.

I'm test this firmware since 10 days.
I have 4 XT8 V1 i my house.
I note that the network is not very stable and indeed, I see changes on the mesh.
I have 2 ethernet routers and 2 mesh wifi routers and without explanation, a router changes master router even though it is much further away... I had the fairly old 48706 before and I wanted to integrate the latest updates of security.
I'm thinking of going back to 48706...

Since I used this Stable: 388.2_2_0-gnuton1 Latest and with backhaul settings like this Control Channel 100 and Channel bandwidth 80 MHz runs my mesh wifi perfect it stays on green no issues.
Everything is online for now: 2 days 14 hour(s) 2 minute(s) 36 seconds so hopefully it stays like this.

For me all.. devices on the mesh node, network is super slow. If I reboot the node it will work fine for a while and then get slow again. Anyone else seen same? I might do reset and setup it from scratch. "Worst" case use gnuton and try that. Real worst case is throw it in the trashcan ;)
On the main node or router it seems to work fine, no issue there what I have noticed. And I can also mention that the wireless link shows great and good phys speeds also(so it's wireless bakhaul)

Seems with gnutons I can't change any wifi setting, or the apply button does not work. Have tried to open web gui via different browsers. :(

and I went back to official version... and this morning my aimesh node is in recovery mode? what... how can they sell this bad product. I had problems on other asus routers but not this bad :(
It does not work even out of the box at all. The main router seems to works so far, but not the mesh node.

Seems with gnutons I can't change any wifi setting, or the apply button does not work. Have tried to open web gui via different browsers. :(
Huh. That is strange.
And what happens if you do a factory reset?
Swith off the main router, hold the WPS button under the router.
Power on the router but ( still hold the wps button in ) the lights will blink couple of time.
When the lights does not blink, power off, and boot up.

Do this also with the other nodes.
Install the main router, and add the other nodes.
It could be that you need one time a cable betweer the main and de nodes.

Well, did that on every step. When changing firmware between asus orginal to gnutons or vice versa. So no dice on that part.
Seem I have hw version 1.0...I wonder if gnutons version works on that? Because asus has two different firmware for hw 1.0 and hw 2.0

Well, did that on every step. When changing firmware between asus orginal to gnutons or vice versa. So no dice on that part.
Seem I have hw version 1.0...I wonder if gnutons version works on that? Because asus has two different firmware for hw 1.0 and hw 2.0
As far as I am aware gnutons only works on hw ver 1.0 (I may be wrong). That is the HW version I own using in the UK and all recent gnutons and official FW have been stable for my use case.

Last edited:
I returned my xt8... they where nice looking. But for me at least that was the only good thing about them. I got ET12 instead, for a bit cheaper than original price. They just worked without any issues. No slow wifi, no dropping aimesh node or anything...so far(1 day of testing). This is how I would expect it to work. I know this is not a firmware discussion but, latest firmware on XT8 did not work, and same with gnutons. Tried a few more times with both...same result. Maybe it had some hardware fault 🤔

Since I using the latest gnutons 388.2_2_0-gnuton1 and with backhaul settings like this Control Channel 100 and Channel bandwidth 80 MHz.

I have no issue anymore, more than a week stable network and also the mesh wifi works perfect.

This is how is should be, I don't no why it did not work in the passed with the same settings.
1000 point goes to @GNUton gnutons 388.2_2_0-gnuton1.

I reverted back to 48706, because I had severe backhaul stability issues when DFS channels switched to radar active. Firmware 48706 is able to switch from 160MHz to 80MHz in case DFS channels switch to radar active, this does not work in 23285. Seems like all firmware releases after 48706 fail to switch from 160 to 80Mhz in case of radar active DFS channels.

Hi all, firstly thanks for the experts here. I'm IT apps guy and these network things are still alien to me. I'm those expecting XT8 with great reviews should at least plug n play n WORKS without much hassle. But alas since I got it, it felt like every few months I need to study exam for my least fav subject.

Asus support site really cmi.

After reading some posts in this site, finally get a hang of the threads and I've posted here because I've just upgrade this firmware version under thread title.

So being the network noob, I'm just leveraging on the app and everytime I hear my family complain on wifi, I'll check the app and will be thrilled to see new firmware available. 2 months ago my mesh node started blinking blue, so I updated firmware, no use, then I just off the node and ask them to come living room.

Yesterday, I on it for checking, saw another new firmware! So happy! Installed it. Not blinking blue anymore but today my daughter says it is YELLOW. Omg I thought she color-blind, then I checked it's for "weak node". First time I see this.

I'm going to follow some of the advice here. Reset Factory (wish it could reset ASUS's factory!!), do the 5G-2 thingy, the 40band thingy, etc.

My RSSI is -35 dbm. Is low or high good? Is it the distance between nodes issue? Mine is only 15m apart.

Hi all, firstly thanks for the experts here. I'm IT apps guy and these network things are still alien to me. I'm those expecting XT8 with great reviews should at least plug n play n WORKS without much hassle. But alas since I got it, it felt like every few months I need to study exam for my least fav subject.

Asus support site really cmi.

After reading some posts in this site, finally get a hang of the threads and I've posted here because I've just upgrade this firmware version under thread title.

So being the network noob, I'm just leveraging on the app and everytime I hear my family complain on wifi, I'll check the app and will be thrilled to see new firmware available. 2 months ago my mesh node started blinking blue, so I updated firmware, no use, then I just off the node and ask them to come living room.

Yesterday, I on it for checking, saw another new firmware! So happy! Installed it. Not blinking blue anymore but today my daughter says it is YELLOW. Omg I thought she color-blind, then I checked it's for "weak node". First time I see this.

I'm going to follow some of the advice here. Reset Factory (wish it could reset ASUS's factory!!), do the 5G-2 thingy, the 40band thingy, etc.

My RSSI is -35 dbm. Is low or high good? Is it the distance between nodes issue? Mine is only 15m apart.
Ok I did Factory Reset from app. This round, instead of default, I opted to split 2.4, 5-1 and 5-2.

Then select backhaul to "5-2 first".

Then all my devices joined 5-1 only. I also take this opportunity to rename the devices. Android devices are ok default can display good names base on device. Apple can only show MAC address or "Apple Inc".

So far all ok. The mesh node still showing RSSI -35 dBm but the led is now white and the app show "Great" instead of the earlier "Weak".

Will monitor and do the other tweaks if face with blue blinking again.

Last edited:
so my router suddenly decided to stop after being problem free for more than a month. i reverted to a older firmware which connects only few devices. any help?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!