What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48706 (2022/05/03)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No shortening of passphrases needed here *smile*. My passphrase is only 11 characters long, not real paranoid with my wifi. So 48706 has always just worked for me, has been very solid. Haven't moved to the Beta, since the official release just works.

Good for you, I'm not so lucky.

I think it's incredibly crazy that the issue has still not been fixed with a new stable release... Seriously, it's been two months !!!

When my node updated itself and starting blinking blue two months ago, for a few hours, I was convinced it was a hardware failure... I imagine there are a lot of people out there that faced the same issue and I guess some didn't find out what was actually happening.

I really don't understand of such a significant issue could have made it on a stable release. I understand even less that two months after this buggy release is still the one that is proposed on ASUS website...

In the future, I'll definitely think twice before buying anything from them...

i think asus dont mind about people that like me use +32 characters passwords....because in some articles (asus support) i've been reading they sometimes talk about recommending passphrases between 16-23 or sometimes limit of 32 characters....if Asus would warning in my setup process that i have to change my WPA2 63 characters, maybe i wont be using xt8 right now....
Pleas asus correct this bug....my IOT devices are waiting

i think asus dont mind about people that like me use +32 characters passwords....because in some articles (asus support) i've been reading they sometimes talk about recommending passphrases between 16-23 or sometimes limit of 32 characters....if Asus would warning in my setup process that i have to change my WPA2 63 characters, maybe i wont be using xt8 right now....
Pleas asus correct this bug....my IOT devices are waiting

Use the beta firmware that addresses this issue....

Use the beta firmware that addresses this issue....
this is what im doing right now.....but how many time take to a developer to fix that bug and realease a stable version....is a non sense. If a beta version can do this what is stopping them to fix this very well known issue ??
32+ characters passwords in WPA/WPA2 security mode is not so rare, i think

FWIW, I have just bitten the bullet and upgraded my 4 x XT8 mesh network from trusty old 42095 to 48706. To my enormous surprise, the upgrade (via the app) was applied to all nodes quickly and successfully, AND everything seems to be working OK. 1 hour in and no Sky Q drops, which plagued previous versions for me.

Question: Is it essential I do a factory reset on all devices? That would mean rebuilding the entire mesh, which is a right pain the arse, to say the least. Whereas everything seems to be working ok as-is. What's the risk of NOT restoring factory defaults? Is there any?

FWIW, I have just bitten the bullet and upgraded my 4 x XT8 mesh network from trusty old 42095 to 48706. To my enormous surprise, the upgrade (via the app) was applied to all nodes quickly and successfully, AND everything seems to be working OK. 1 hour in and no Sky Q drops, which plagued previous versions for me.

Question: Is it essential I do a factory reset on all devices? That would mean rebuilding the entire mesh, which is a right pain the arse, to say the least. Whereas everything seems to be working ok as-is. What's the risk of NOT restoring factory defaults? Is there any?
I have never bothered with a single factory reset when upgrading, Mine seem to function fine without but I suppose it’s dependent on how yours has been configured,

If it works, just leave alone.

That's a pretty big jump in firmware versions. Usual practice after a firmware upgrade is to wait and see if you have problems. Personally, yes, I'd do a factory reset after this one, but that's easy for me.

In your situation, I'd wait and see if any problems crop up.

Same "jump" for me... from 42095 to 48706 (on six XT8s splitted into two aimesh systems): no reset and no problems at all!

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice.

On my side, the system has been up for 72 hours now and not a glitch, so very encouraging.

The only minor niggling down, is what might not be working that I have no visibility of. But honestly the pain of recreating the entire mesh (especially given how bloody difficult it was to add the various XT8 nodes!!!) makes that a risk I am willing to take. Seems an awful lot of effort just for a tiny bit of peace of mind, to fix problems which probably are not there!

So I have been running 9.0.1.4.386_46197_gfc5aa34_nodpi for months as it was the only version that resolved my Nest Guard and Nest Protect offline issues. I am very wary about upgrading as I don't want to go back to those not working. Can anyone verify Nest (guard / protect) functionality with this latest version?

MD

Been a long time since I posted. I had basically given up on ASUS since no firmware going back a year resolved the constant drops with two XT8s on a basic wireless backhaul setup. But I'm happy to report 48706 has resolved those problems and has been shockingly stable, even with my IoT devices (combined a total of 20 devices are wirelessly connected). I'm using a 10 character passphrase, so that issue did not impact me when I updated via the app. Also stability was achieved without having to perform a hard reset on the two XT8s. For now, I and the two students and one educator in my home are happy! I think our cat is happy too because he does not have to listen to us complain about the drops anymore! LOL

Last edited:
I upgraded from 42095 to 48706 without any resetting and works fine. I was quite nervous about upgrading because 42095 has been the ONE which actually worked without any issues but so far this 48706 seems to be good version also. No drops or any issues past these few days. Using AP Mode and Ethernet backhaul.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!