What's new

Release Asus ZenWiFi XT8 - New Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45898

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How does AiMesh work now, if the 2.4 MHz band is completely disabled on the router and node? I don't need it at all - 2.4 MHz. On the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43181 I had problems with this...

So, after upgrade and NVRAM reset on all 3 (2 XT8, 1 XD4) and reconfiguration:

- WAN detection not working
mmmhhh... even with asus rt-ax88u and 45898 firmware the wan connection is working ok, but the led (and the gui) says it's disconnected (red led on XT8)

Did a factory reset and the main wired node is showing red still, but so far everything is operational. Will watch it for a day or so to decide if I want to revert back or not

Is there a way to remotely factory reset the wireless nodes? I know there is a button on the back, I was just wondering if there was a way to factory a wireless node remotely

Last edited:
Is this firmware finally better than 42095 so I can finally update and get all the new security updates?

I bought a pair of XT8, and this was the firmware that it updated to. My topology is one unit in the center of the house and one in the basement/study. The node in the basement also has a synology NAS connected to it. The connection status between the “main” until and the node is listed as “Great” in the GUI.

Everything seems to be working well. I have both traditional clients and many IOT devices (Next door bell, nest protects, as well as some off brand water detectors that connect to wifi through its own hub, some Arlo cameras that are connected to a hub, that is hard wired to ethernet).

So far (24 hours), everything seems good. All band active and doing their thing. Speedy connections on 2.4 and 5. I’m debating whether to hardwire the backhaul, given that my connection is rated as “Great” in the GUI. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The only issue I’ve had, and I’ve had it with many ASUS routers, is that sonos does not play well connecting via wifi. As a result, I have a boost connected via ethernet, and that removes all the frustration. When I attempted to add the sonos onto wifi, so I could remove the boost, it would only see the devices that were capable of 5G, not the ones that required 2.4. I only played with it for 20 minutes before going back to the boost.

If you're able to connect via wired backhaul, do so. Even if the wireless connection was listed as 'Excellent', wired (even 1GbE connections) are still superior for lowest latency and small file transfers (i.e. smaller than 50MB or so).

Thanks. Good to know.

Does anyone know why ASUS seems to have ongoing issues with Sonos. It seems odd that its been an ongoing problem for years, that sometimes gets fixed in firmware and then breaks again.

It seems to me Sonos is the one with the recurring issues?

Ha! Well, that is one way to look at it...although it is only Asus routers that are drawing the complaints, to the extent that they leave off their list of recommended routers, while all the other majors are included.

Last edited:
And as I view Asus routers as the most secure option of all consumer routers available, that states a lot about Sonos philosophy.

Did you try a factory reset to defaults after flashing? I'd be apt to try the flash again, do a factory reset, and manually re-configure my ZenWiFi if I experienced this. Also do a power-cycle a while after manually reconfiguring.

I did not do a factory reset before posting. Over the weekend, I did a hard reset to factory and manually reconfigured it. It has been stable so far.

Is this firmware finally better than 42095 so I can finally update and get all the new security updates?
I've been on 42095 for sometime but decided to try the latest FW over the weekend. I did the recommended update procedure (ie installed, factory reset, made just a couple of minor changes to the default settings) and everything reconnected just fine. That was over 24 hours ago and still no problems at all :)

How does AiMesh work now, if the 2.4 MHz band is completely disabled on the router and node? I don't need it at all - 2.4 MHz. On the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43181 I had problems with this...

It has been my experience that the 2.4 GHz band is required. When I turned it off, the parent device cannot find the other node and its Connection Quality is listed as Disconnected. It was not immediate so there might be some polling involved. Management and status traffic may be going through that band - just my guess though. I tried turning it off with 43181 and 45898 and got the same result.

Did a factory reset and the main wired node is showing red still, but so far everything is operational. Will watch it for a day or so to decide if I want to revert back or not

Is there a way to remotely factory reset the wireless nodes? I know there is a button on the back, I was just wondering if there was a way to factory a wireless node remotely
Removing and re-adding it should revert it to factory settings.

It has been my experience that the 2.4 GHz band is required. When I turned it off, the parent device cannot find the other node and its Connection Quality is listed as Disconnected. It was not immediate so there might be some polling involved. Management and status traffic may be going through that band - just my guess though. I tried turning it off with 43181 and 45898 and got the same result.
Yes, - if backhaul is organized by Wi-Fi (or Wi-Fi/Ethernet), then perhaps the 2.4 MHz range is needed. But if the backhaul works only over the wire Ethernet, then why is the 2.4 MHz band necessary? It seems illogical to me...

If you're able to connect via wired backhaul, do so. Even if the wireless connection was listed as 'Excellent', wired (even 1GbE connections) are still superior for lowest latency and small file transfers (i.e. smaller than 50MB or so).
According your recommendation, I guess your are using the wired backhaul.
I got a question: when clicking the firmware update button, does all your node(s) are automatically updated?

In my case, I always need to update manually the node. :(

I opened a thread about my issues here (if you want more details): XT8 - Node not automatically updating

Nodes need to be updated individually. No automatic (or semi-automatic) updates are wanted or needed.

Nodes need to be updated individually. No automatic (or semi-automatic) updates are wanted or needed.
Thanks a lot for answering! :)
I understand that, generally speaking, automatic update is definitely not wanted.

It was just unclear in the XT8 user guide how the node should be update.
I simply assumed the normal behavior, when clicking the update button from the router GUI, will be an automated update for ALL devices (router + all the node(s) connected to the same Air Mesh).

It is just surprising that there is an "update" button for the router (meaning, automated d/l + installation process), but that the node requires a manual update (meaning a manual d/l from the ASUS website + a manual installation).
It is definitely not really user friendly for "none-computer aware" people.

Again, thanks for your answer. Now, I got the confirmation that nothing is wrong with me setup. :p

I suggest you get in the habit of manual updates even for the main router. Have it (safely) on your computer (including the previous firmware you've installed). Verify the MD5 hashes. Research the changelogs and see that the changes you'll see after updating are expected and wanted.

The 'convenience' of the (Auto) update button is grossly overrated, IMO. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!