What's new

Release Asus ZenWiFi XT8 - New Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45898

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks a lot for answering! :)
I understand that, generally speaking, automatic update is definitely not wanted.

It was just unclear in the XT8 user guide how the node should be update.
I simply assumed the normal behavior, when clicking the update button from the router GUI, will be an automated update for ALL devices (router + all the node(s) connected to the same Air Mesh).

It is just surprising that there is an "update" button for the router (meaning, automated d/l + installation process), but that the node requires a manual update (meaning a manual d/l from the ASUS website + a manual installation).
It is definitely not really user friendly for "none-computer aware" people.

Again, thanks for your answer. Now, I got the confirmation that nothing is wrong with me setup. :p
I was on firmware 43181 on the router including all the nodes and used the UI to update all 4 XT8's automatically. However, I do also update each manually just in case. I am not sure why the automatic update is not working for you.... The only time it did not update for me was when the router was on firmware 43181 and the nodes on a different beta firmware.

В руководстве пользователя XT8 было просто неясно, как следует обновлять узел.
Я просто предположил, что нормальное поведение при нажатии кнопки обновления в графическом интерфейсе маршрутизатора будет автоматическим обновлением для ВСЕХ устройств (маршрутизатор + все узлы, подключенные к одной и той же Air Mesh).
In fact, one click on the "Update" button installs the new firmware on both the main router XT and the connected nodes XT. This is how my XT and node XT were updated from version 45181 to version 45879 and from version 45879 to version 45898, with one touch... The interface of the router allows you to update the main router and nodes separately, or you can do everything at once, with a separate "Update" button.

Last edited:
Thanks folks,

So, something is wrong in my setup. :(
3 questions for both of you (if you don't mind):
1- In which mode is setup your XT8? Wireless router, Range extender (Repeater) or Access point mode?
2- How is setup the IP of yours XT8? DHCP or static IP?
3- Which kind of backhaul? Wired or Wireless?

Seb

Thanks folks,

So, something is wrong in my setup. :(
3 questions for both of you (if you don't mind):
1- In which mode is setup your XT8? Wireless router, Range extender (Repeater) or Access point mode?
2- How is setup the IP of yours XT8? DHCP or static IP?
3- Which kind of backhaul? Wired or Wireless?

Seb
There is a topic for setting up XT8 here. Probably it would be right to ask these questions there.
Or open a new topic ...

Nodes need to be updated individually. No automatic (or semi-automatic) updates are wanted or needed.
Could you clarify this statement? I updated my main access point and all the other nodes look to get the update when I clicked the nodes under ai mesh

Last night the SO ipad didnt seem to want to load up netflix. Moved it over to another wireless network and it seemed to load. So might be rolling back the firmware if it happens again

There is a topic for setting up XT8 here. Probably it would be right to ask these questions there.
[...]
Or open a new topic ...

Thanks for helping.
I already did opened a post. Unfortunately, I got no answer.

The only thing I can suggest is downgrade all units to 42095 then, manually factory reset them all using pin in the bottom of the units. Set up your mesh and then try updating using UI.

My setup is DHCP with wireless backhaul to 3 nodes.

Not sure at all why you are not able to update, worth sending feedback to ASUS from UI if above does not work.

Thanks. I will try this.
If it doesn't work, I will open a ticket to ASUS support. However, most of the time, big companies hotlines are useless...

@gz2021, I am not familiar with the XT8, and that may be the default behavior (all main/nodes get updated automatically).

What I am stating is that I would not allow such behavior on any of the networks I manage. Manual updates (i.e. full control over my network) are what I want. Always.

Thanks. I will try this.
If it doesn't work, I will open a ticket to ASUS support. However, most of the time, big companies hotlines are useless...
I have a thread in another site where the forum owner UKSentinel has helped me with contacting ASUS and fixing an issue with Microsoft Teams. Try opening a thread there and sometimes he is able to help nudge ASUS:

ZenwiFi "firmware update" that updates both my nodes with one button push has worked well for me. I always use it whenever I can, unless I'm reverting to previous firmware...in which case I update the node first, then the router. The single button update takes less time and, for me, less button pushing is less risky. Of course, I *always* check after a single button update, before proceeding that both routers have been updated, and to the same release. And also, if I don't use single button update, I check after each update that I've been updated/reverted to the expected firmware version.

Kind of belts and suspenders here...every update I've done has worked well. Not all the firmware is good, but the updates themselves have been *smile*.

I installed the update as an upgrade from 42095 and it began suffering random disconnects after a day or so. Performed a manual update with a full hard reset. Mostly stable since then, but went a bit wonky after a power cut (seems to like the router going live before the nodes). Devices that connect to 2.4ghz definitely struggling a little bit, will try some of the tweaks to Wi-Fi settings to see if that helps.

I’m not downgrading yet - the signal strength on the back haul seems in line with 42095, which is the main thing!

Installed it, no issues. Also issues I had with MacBook Pros not able to hold a connection with 43181 is gone. Everything is stable 22 devices (router: 15 wireless: 2.4 - 4, 5 - 11, 2 Ethernet: 2; node: 7 wireless: 2.4 - 2, 5 - 5, 2 Ethernet: 0)

I have a thread in another site where the forum owner UKSentinel has helped me with contacting ASUS and fixing an issue with Microsoft Teams. Try opening a thread there and sometimes he is able to help nudge ASUS:

ZenwiFi "firmware update" that updates both my nodes with one button push has worked well for me. I always use it whenever I can, unless I'm reverting to previous firmware...in which case I update the node first, then the router. The single button update takes less time and, for me, less button pushing is less risky. Of course, I *always* check after a single button update, before proceeding that both routers have been updated, and to the same release. And also, if I don't use single button update, I check after each update that I've been updated/reverted to the expected firmware version.

Kind of belts and suspenders here...every update I've done has worked well. Not all the firmware is good, but the updates themselves have been *smile*.
Thanks guys for your feedback. Now that I'm sure something is not correct, I will do some test over the WE.

I went back to 42095. It seems to be more “stable” than the latest release for my environment.

Why? Are you following anyone with your identical Wi-Fi environment and client devices?

Download the firmware you're currently on. Verify the downloaded file hashes. Make a backup config file of your current settings. Put all of this in a safe place for future use.

Download the current firmware, verify the file hashes. Flash the router with this latest firmware. Perform a full reset to factory defaults. Do not use any saved backup config files to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Do not 'blindly' turn on features, options, or use old scripts because they worked 'once upon a time'. Add your customizations slowly and methodically. Keep good notes. Don't be in a rush.

Now, you're really testing the new firmware and can see how it fits in your unique wireless network.

Why? Are you following anyone with your identical Wi-Fi environment and client devices?

Download the firmware you're currently on. Verify the downloaded file hashes. Make a backup config file of your current settings. Put all of this in a safe place for future use.

Download the current firmware, verify the file hashes. Flash the router with this latest firmware. Perform a full reset to factory defaults. Do not use any saved backup config files to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Do not 'blindly' turn on features, options, or use old scripts because they worked 'once upon a time'. Add your customizations slowly and methodically. Keep good notes. Don't be in a rush.

Now, you're really testing the new firmware and can see how it fits in your unique wireless network.
I agree. For me 45898 is as stable as 42095 with the added latest security patches. I have helped ASUS with fixing some issues with 43181 which for me are resolved in 45898. If I have any issues with latest firmware I always factory reset using pin without restoring old settings. Sometimes that is painful and long winded, but always a good idea to eliminate this being the issue.

Yes, doing a complete reset is “ painful “ if you have lots of customizations but it is worth it to make sure no old baggage is causing issues. In my current setup, using the 2 XT8 as AP/AiMesh, it makes resetting pretty painless as I seldom change the default wifi settings. All routing and other network duties are handled by my reliable RT-AC86U running Merlin. I have lots of IoT devices and they work more friendly with the 42095 firmware. I have no clue why, but I have tried the new firmware twice without much luck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!