What's new

Asustor Announces Consumer NAS Line With 10 GbE and New Marvell Processor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
asustor-as400xt.jpg
Asustor’s new desktop NAS line consists of the 2-bay AS4002T and the 4-bay AS4004T.

Targeting consumers, these new NASes debut two firsts from Asustor; integrated 10 GbE in a consumer NAS and first in-market to use Marvell’s Armada Cortex-A72 64-bit dual-core processor.

Additional hardware specs include 2 GB DDR4-2400 RAM, two GbE ports, and USB 3.1 ports. All three Ethernet ports can be aggregated to provide 3 Gbps total bandwidth for those who don't have 10 Gbps devices.

Designed to be tool-less, the AS4002T and AS4004T are hot-swappable NAS, using caddies to facilitate drive swaps when needed. The chassis’ internal honeycomb structure adds an additional layer of security by protecting data from physical impact.

Handling disk drives up to 12 TB in capacity, both NAS support JBOD, single drives, and RAID levels 0 and 1, while the 4-bay AS4004T adds RAID 5, 6 and 10 to it list of redundant drive configurations.

Available on Amazon, Asustor’s AS4002T and AS4004T are priced at $259.99 and $359.99, respectively.

SWIITCHHHEESSS... We need switches!! All these 10gbit copper nics and connected devices at consumer level prices are great but we still don't have anything more than a 2 port switch.

1. Assuming We put SSD into it, could we actually get 1Gb/s out of it from the 10Gbps. I asked because generally NAS are slow, and I am not sure the Cortex-A72 64-bit is good enough. It shouldn't be a problem, but better test then assume.

( Edit, wow this thing is on 16nm !!!! Normally they cheap out and all these low end NAS has SoC / CPU fabbed in 28nm. And the performance page show it does over 1GB/s !!! )

2. For this price it is actually pretty value for money, I am assuming the A72 to be much more powerful then all previous Marvell NAS Controller, may be even more so then the FreeScale one used in Synology. 2GB DRAM, USB 3.1 and 10Gbps Port.

3. Does it support NBase-T? Aka 5Gbps / 2.5Gbps Ethernet.

( Edit: Nothing shown in the Spec page )

4. Anyone comment on Asustor software?

Unfortunately it only support EXT4, I want something more robust like Btrfs or better yet ZFS.

Even with hard drives, you'll exceed 1 Gbps when using the 10Gbps port. We'll see how much more when we test it.

The 10G port is copper and 10Gbps only.

Even with hard drives, you'll exceed 1 Gbps when using the 10Gbps port. We'll see how much more when we test it.

The 10G port is copper and 10Gbps only.

Should perform as well or better than the Annapurna Labs based units from various vendors - the Armada there is a real beast..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!