1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured QNAP’s TS-332X Includes 10 GbE SFP+, Three M.2 SSD Slots

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by Julio Urquidi, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Julio Urquidi

Julio Urquidi News Editor

qnap-ts332x.jpg
    Powered by QNAP’s QTS operating system and AnnapurnaLabs Alpine AL-324 quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A57 processor, the 3-bay TS-332X tower NAS is available in two models configured with either 2GB or 4GB DDR4 RAM (expandable to 16 GB). Along with two GbE ports, the TS-332X comes with a 10 GbE SFP+ network port, targeting faster application throughput.

Storage-wise, TS-332X supports up to three hot-swappable 2.5/3.5-inch SATA 6 Gbps HDDs/SSDs, but also adds three M.2 SSD slots, making TS-332X a likely candidate for RAID 5 storage auto-tiering when used with QNAP’s Qtier application. VJBOD is also supported, allowing the TS-332X to iSCSI mount to other QNAP NAS products to create a larger storage pool.

Other TS-332X interfaces include three USB 3.0 ports, and one 3.5 line-out audio jack.

The QNAP TS-332X is available now. Here's the pricing according to QNAP.

TS-332X-4G-US - $419
    TS-332X-2G-US - $379

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  2. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

So a consumer NAS with SFP+ again huh? How many consumers use SFP+ at home?
    I mean sure, you could spend $250 on a converter...

3. Threska49

Threska49 Regular Contributor

I've seen consumer switches (POE and regular) with it. Handy when one has a lot of cameras, and a number of switches to link to the NAS.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

QNAP has had a good run with Annapurna Labs* - this is the first public mention of the 64-bit AL-324, but if it's anything like their A15 based chips, it's going to be a strong performer.

* Annapurna Labs - it's really hard to talk to them in depth, they're incredibly closed lipped as a business, and one has to be kind of a "made guy" to get anything out of them that's useful, Marvell is tough, but Annapurna takes it to a whole new level...​

I've really taken to the A57-based Comms Processors - I've got first hand experience with the competitor (Marvell Armada 8040), and if the AL-324 is anything similar, it's a good thing.

Looking to the future of 802.11ax and nBase-T, it's only a matter of time before we see chips like this trickle down, as they have not only the pure CPU horsepower to drive the performance, they also have the bandwidth across the internal and external buses to carry it thru.

Wonder what QCA and Broadcom have in hand to respond to chips like these...

5. TheLostSwede

A57 is already old hat, these days we should expect to see A72/A73 in new devices at the very least.

QCA has obviously been using their Krait cores to date, but I expect them to swap to Kryo for next generation stuff. That is if they're still interested, as some of their recent hardware has seemingly moved backwards to MIPS and Cortex-A7 based SoCs.

Broadcom already has some A57 based solutions, such as the BCM5871x which is a quad core based SoC which apparently has native support for 2x 10Gbps and 2x 2.5Gbps - https://www.broadcom.com/products/embedded-and-networking-processors/communications/bcm58712
    Not expecting that to turn up in any affordable hardware though, even though they say it's for NAS and Routers, mostly due to the 8 PCIe lanes, which makes it a big and expensive chip. I'm surprised that Broadcom has a product brief for the chip though, that's a new one to me.

6. sfx2000

A57 is still very valid - look at Armada... it's not just the cores, it's the rest of the SoC, and I'm thinking that the Alpine is similar, but Annapurna Labs puts even more into it.

QCA's Kyro, like Krait, is optimized for Smartphones - the real 64-bit Qualcomm ARMv8 core that one would be interested in is Falkor and the Amberwing fabric- it's a real beast, similar to the ex-Broadcom/ex-Cavium/now Marvell Thunder X2 - and there, Thunder X2 has scaled a bit better than Centriq...

7. sfx2000

ThunderX2 - from another site - but this is not smartphone numbers...

https://www.servethehome.com/cavium-thunderx2-review-benchmarks-real-arm-server-option/

8. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Agreed SFP+ is not common for consumers. But it is less expensive to build in than copper.
    An SFP+ cable costs less than $20.

9. tiger_liem

tiger_liem Occasional Visitor

Please review newly release qnap ts-251b. Thank you

10. TheLostSwede

Less than $20 for 1-2m, sure, but it becomes terribly expensive at longer runs. I guess QNAP does at least offer a couple of switches with both SFP+ and 10GBase-T, but the cheapest model is over $480...

11. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

To me, one SFP+ port on a router is clearly intended to connect a nearby device, either uplinking to a switch or maybe a NAS.

sfx2000 likes this.
  12. Threska49

Threska49 Regular Contributor

Quite a bit of time because the router and NAS market are price sensitive (gaming routers notwithstanding). Margins are going to be lower as well.
    nas

13. EngChi

EngChi Regular Contributor

Almost every consumer that wants 10Gbe would be using SFP+ at home... it is simply much cheaper - here is for example what I did
    switch - Brocade ICX 6450-48 , 4xSFP+ and 48 1GBe - $89 on e-bay.
    cards - Connect X3 - $25 each
    cables - Huawei SFP-10G-AOC1M , $27 each.

so for ~$90 I got full enterprise switch with 4 SFP+ ports and 48 gig ports with every feature possible. new firmware (as recent as two week ago), license , and this is flying.
    if you insist on new - mikrotik has a new model that includes 2 SPF+ ports and a bunch of gig ports, full support and everything for $130
    for ~$50 you get a card and cable.

show me please anything similar to this in the 10BaseT land..
    so , yes - anyone who is doing 10Gb at home right now and counts dollars, would go SFP+ so NAS is much more valuable with it vs RJ45 port as there are no switches to plug that into...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018