What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strange.
My 86u after dirty upgrade to 9.0.0.4.386.41994

Code:
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block           Status
CPU Wait                   ENABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down   ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet  DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode     ENABLED (status:Deactivated)
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root#

OK, fixed now:

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status Deactivated)

I had to reset the RC2-11 firmware to enable CPU wait. Temp is around 82C now. Will check again later. I previously swapped my two nodes around and they yield the same temps so I'm not concerned about individual router build... they are either both ok or both not ok, heatsink-wise.

The dirty upgrade bites again! :)

OE

Update on 2021/1/29

This version changed the DNSmasq version to 2.84 to fix CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686 aka DNSpooq

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TW9JXxWpM-qmgGv2BixibkACVki-9g1Q?usp=sharing
The share link includes the following models

ZenWiFi XT8, XD4, CT8, CD6
GT series: GT-AX11000, GT-AC5300, GT-AC2900
RT series: RT-AX88U, RT-AX92U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U, RT-AX55
RT series: RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U

Hello, any feedback from GTAX11000 users ?

cheers

aublumberg,

You can download "Asus Firmware Restoration" from AppStore, it is quite old, but, still working (I am on macOS Catalina). Hope the thread below is useful for you:

Another option is to use a TFTP client to upload the firmware image to your router while it's in recovery mode. It's how I generally recover failed firmware images here (including the recently broken RT-AX88U firmware issue).

2x RT-AX92's in wireless back haul mesh running 9.0.0.4.386.41994 and working great. Everything working as expected / intended. Snappier GUI so far only noticable change.

only used it for a couple of hours but feels like the most solid version yet on my pair of XT8 :)

EDIT: When I go to QOS --> internet speedtest, inside WEBUI router restarts itself. Tried to reset the router and start over but same thing.... other than that, no problems so far.

Last edited:
Yes, we do.

Hi, I'm following this thread for long, but registered to ask some questions:
1. DSL-AC68U already has some kind of 386 firmware with AI Mesh 2.0 page (only partially working) - is it officially planned to be included in AI Mesh 2.0?
2. In previous versions Guest Network was implemented based on interfaces / ebtables and therefore it was not possible to pass it to nodes, but thanks to that it shared IP pool. Now it seems that the guest networks are based on IP tables and separate IP pools. Without interfaces restrictions is there a chance to link selected ethernet ports to the particular guest network? Or maybe just all ports if a single port cannot be linked? Or as a last resort, would it be possible to just turn off all ethernet ports in case a mesh node is located in a public place?
BTW there is an option to push the guest network to the nodes in DSL-AC68U, but it does not work currently and with the latest official firmware for RT-AC68U (my node) causes the node stops responding - I had to turn it off.
3. QOS: With Apps Analysis turned on I can see the different services under a specific device, but how I can detect their relation to the groups in QOS configuration (Games, Media Streaming, etc). I'd like to know if the specific protocol is considers as Games or Streaming by QOS mechanism.
Thx!

I can tell my connection stability improved a lot with this firmware i dont know what changed but everything seems much more stable and jitter is way lower. I think they hit nail on the head with this security fix. Im curious how many hidden vulnerabilities are there that affect performance like this one.

I flashed the latest 386.41994 on AX58U and all i can say is wow. It really seems to work very well. There is more going on here then just the DNSmasq fix. The new and different network map icons are a nice add on, looks great. This one may be a keeper for now.

I've just upgraded ZenWiFi AX Mini XD4 to the latest 386.41994 - I see no degradation.

Though I can never login to the router by its name set in the config LAN -> LAN IP -> HostName - let's put the name "TEST" here.

> ping test
Pinging TEST.local [192.168.50.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.50.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

When I open "test/" in a browser on the LAN, it opens http://test/Main_Login.asp and does not accept my credential - no error message - just refreshes the login page.

Though I can login by the URL http://router.asus.com/ or http://192.168.50.1/

Am I alone here with this issue?

Thanks!

I've just upgraded ZenWiFi AX Mini XD4 to the latest 386.41994 - I see no degradation.

Though I can never login to the router by its name set in the config LAN -> LAN IP -> HostName - let's put the name "TEST" here.

> ping test
Pinging TEST.local [192.168.50.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.50.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

When I open "test/" in a browser on the LAN, it opens http://test/Main_Login.asp and does not accept my credential - no error message - just refreshes the login page.

Though I can login by the URL http://router.asus.com/ or http://192.168.50.1/

Am I alone here with this issue?

Thanks!

I can browse to my RT-AC86U's default Host Name, RT-AC86U-5F60, using URL http://RT-AC86U-5F60/ and login.

But I never do that. I use the IP address.

OE

@krasoft works here on the RT-AX86U I have.

Can you give us a fake Host Name but using a mask that indicates how you've set it up?

For example: XXXnnxxXnnXsX would indicate

'X' = capital letters
'n'= numbers
'x' = lower case letters
's' = space

etc.

OK, fixed now:

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status Deactivated)

I had to reset the RC2-11 firmware to enable CPU wait. Temp is around 82C now. Will check again later. I previously swapped my two nodes around and they yield the same temps so I'm not concerned about individual router build... they are either both ok or both not ok, heatsink-wise.

The dirty upgrade bites again! :)

OE

@OE - also had to hard reset my RT-AC86U to get CPU Wait set to ENABLED. Dirty flashed my 68U's, so all my AiMesh nodes are on 386_41994 at this point. Will be dirty flashing my main router, GT-AC5300 as well since I hard reset it when I updated to 386_41973.

pwr show (RT-AC86U)

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status: Deactivated)

Last edited:
Dirty flash of my GT-AC5300 to 386_41994 made the web UI login glitch reoccur (which happened with the beta firmware release as well). The issue occurs after dirty flashing then restart. When logging into the web UI, GameDashboard.asp is blank/hangs in any browser, clearing browser cache does not resolve anything. Unplugging the WAN cable, powering off then on, and logging in, then plugging the WAN cable back in allows the web interface to load, and things are fine afterward.

A hard reset gets rid of the web UI glitch (at least for some indeterminate amount of time), but the issue will probably reoccur again at some point. It's just easier to unplug the WAN cable whenever doing a restart.

I've loaded this latest 386_41994 firmware on a couple of RT-AX56Us, performed a factory reset and configured them as APs. I have noticed that the default setting for Target Wake Time has been changed to Disabled.

It could be the placebo effect, but they do indeed feel snappier from a client perspective when connected through them.

Dirty flash of my GT-AC5300 to 386_41994 made the web UI login glitch reoccur (which happened with the beta firmware release as well). The issue occurs after dirty flashing then restart. When logging into the web UI, GameDashboard.asp is blank/hangs in any browser, clearing browser cache does not resolve anything. Unplugging the WAN cable, powering off then on, and logging in, then plugging the WAN cable back in allows the web interface to load, and things are fine afterward.

A hard reset gets rid of the web UI glitch (at least for some indeterminate amount of time), but the issue will probably reoccur again at some point. It's just easier to unplug the WAN cable whenever doing a restart.

Is this an improvement to the official 386 release? I have same router and contemplating if I should upgrade to the new beta. What do you think? Better speed or signal?

CC

Is this an improvement to the official 386 release? I have same router and contemplating if I should upgrade to the new beta. What do you think? Better speed or signal?

CC
Tough to say...so far seems as stable as the official 386 release and internal/external network speeds are more or less the same. All of my settings from the official 386 release carried over into the newest beta just fine. Although I'm guessing here, I think the UI hang-up is caused by my somewhat lengthy manual DHCP assignment list. That's the only factor I saw trigger the issue back in the RC2-10 beta firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!