What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Using this firmware with a pair of XT8 with AiMesh, I've notice issues with WiFi-calling on iPhone (keeps dropping calls) as well as WebEx and Zoom meeting keeps dropping due to poor connection quality. This is despite being 8 feet from the router with a 500 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up connection. No issues streaming Netflix in 4K HDR. Now if I install the Merlin firmware on my RT-AC68U and use it as the main router with the XT8 as nodes, all these issues go away. Poor WiFi calling was also present on the XT8 with the public non beta firmwares. Not sure how the XT8 function differently as nodes vs main router. All nodes are connected with Ethernet backhaul

Not sure when but finally Asus update Blue Cave Firmware that is Version 384 Beta :)

@ASUSWRT_2020 Possible to check the VoIP issue i highlight on this post? I tested the VoIP on Acrh17 router and everything is working fine. It only happen on Blue Cave router. I did write to Asus Support but they insist no bug/issue.

BC.PNG

You seem pretty good at slating people's opinions. 2 posts in a few hours both doing nothing more than that! Why don't you try and follow your own moral codes and be more constructive!
My apologies for any offense—it truly wasn’t my intention and this honestly hasn’t been my best week. For what it’s worth, although I haven’t contributed for several weeks due to a death in my family, I have previously posted nothing but contributions that were my best attempt at responding in kind to other users’ troubleshooting obstacles.

Bottom line, I’m simply grateful to have the resources available on this forum—I have learned a great deal about networking and router GUI customization from a number of folks who have offered their time and wisdom without any expectation of reciprocation or remuneration. And after innumerable abysmal experiences with other router manufactures, to have a voice in potential features in upcoming beta releases is a rare perk.

As for the Apple vs Android comment, I wasn’t the only member on here who requested relief from those politics on here. Regarding the quip about awaiting the next beta, I’ll own that I might have read into it an impact that did not reflect the author’s intent. I simply thought it sounded condescending and impatient—and since this isn’t the first time someone has protested me playing the ethical gold standard in the room I will own that I was misled and offer my humble amends.

Hope that resolves any unwanted rancor. I’m just an Apple enthusiast who enjoys having control over things. Maybe I should switch to Android…

Using this firmware with a pair of XT8 with AiMesh, I've notice issues with WiFi-calling on iPhone (keeps dropping calls) as well as WebEx and Zoom meeting keeps dropping due to poor connection quality. This is despite being 8 feet from the router with a 500 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up connection. No issues streaming Netflix in 4K HDR. Now if I install the Merlin firmware on my RT-AC68U and use it as the main router with the XT8 as nodes, all these issues go away. Poor WiFi calling was also present on the XT8 with the public non beta firmwares. Not sure how the XT8 function differently as nodes vs main router. All nodes are connected with Ethernet backhaul
I have two XT8s acting as wireless nodes to a GT-AX11000, with a wireless backhaul, and I haven’t had the same issue. I’m a little unsure of whether your setup, using the RT-AC68U in front of the two XT8s, might be the best option in terms of proper handshaking—you’ve got a dual band AC router trying to manage traffic for two AX tri-bands. I’d have to see how you’ve got your wireless professional settings situated before I could say more, but it seems like you might be wasting a lot of benefits of your XT8s with your main router’s limitations…

I also have issues with Ax88u (with latest merlin) as main router and the XT8s as nodes with ethernet backhaul. Sometimes i have connection lags. I have tried multiple betas and 2.4GHz professional configurations and all have this problem. I have a lot of tasmota devices also. I also have problems with my ESP chips, because it cannot adquire IP addresses.
It never gets the DHCPACK(br0).
dnsmasq-dhcp[2154]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) ec:fa:bc:4c:78:e2
dnsmasq-dhcp[2154]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.21 ec:fa:bc:4c:78:e2

I have two XT8s acting as wireless nodes to a GT-AX11000, with a wireless backhaul, and I haven’t had the same issue. I’m a little unsure of whether your setup, using the RT-AC68U in front of the two XT8s, might be the best option in terms of proper handshaking—you’ve got a dual band AC router trying to manage traffic for two AX tri-bands. I’d have to see how you’ve got your wireless professional settings situated before I could say more, but it seems like you might be wasting a lot of benefits of your XT8s with your main router’s limitations…
I understand the limitations of having a lesser router in front of the XT8, but I suspect AI Mesh voodoo takes care of it. I get full speed on my iPhone 11 Pro when I'm near the XT8s. I have not changed the default XT8 professional settings after a factory reset. Just noticed it's lack of reliability for simple things like Zoom/Webex to the point where they interfere with my work when the XT8 is set as the main router, despite trying all the firmwares. I have a feeling its an XT8 specific issue. I was surprised that having a different router as the main router allowed the XT8 to function perfectly as nodes without any issues on Zoom/Webex. It's good to hear that the GT-AX11000 seems to functions without issues as I was thinking of it as an upgrade. Too bad there's not way the take advantage of the 2.5 Gbps Ethernet with the XT8s and a switch.

I understand the limitations of having a lesser router in front of the XT8, but I suspect AI Mesh voodoo takes care of it. I get full speed on my iPhone 11 Pro when I'm near the XT8s. I have not changed the default XT8 professional settings after a factory reset. Just noticed it's lack of reliability for simple things like Zoom/Webex to the point where they interfere with my work when the XT8 is set as the main router, despite trying all the firmwares. I have a feeling its an XT8 specific issue. I was surprised that having a different router as the main router allowed the XT8 to function perfectly as nodes without any issues on Zoom/Webex. It's good to hear that the GT-AX11000 seems to functions without issues as I was thinking of it as an upgrade. Too bad there's not way the take advantage of the 2.5 Gbps Ethernet with the XT8s and a switch.
The ZenWiFi is just awful at VoIP. They are fast but they are unreliable when VoIP applications are involved. It has only gotten worst with newer firmwares even on a Gigabit connection. I notice that it is only happening on the mesh node and not on the master unit. The mesh node is getting pretty good connectivity at around 400Mbps but the reliability is absurd.

The ZenWiFi is just awful at VoIP. They are fast but they are unreliable when VoIP applications are involved. It has only gotten worst with newer firmwares even on a Gigabit connection. I notice that it is only happening on the mesh node and not on the master unit. The mesh node is getting pretty good connectivity at around 400Mbps but the reliability is absurd.
I agree with you. I'm on googlefi and there is a delay or it's just bad whenever i'm on my wifi.

I noticed that on my AiMesh 2.0 node router, the operation mode is in repeater although im in ethernet backhaul mode.

I noticed that on my AiMesh 2.0 node router, the operation mode is in repeater although im in ethernet backhaul mode.
How can you access the node? I think you need to resetup. Supposedly, you cannot access the node's Web UI.

That's normal. The mode (whatever it means for AiMesh) doesn't change just because you are using wired backhaul. They don't want you inspecting nodes and asking such questions. :)

OE

@ASUSWRT_2020 Any idea when will Asus support WPA3-only mode in AiMesh? Right now with 2 RT-AX88U, it force-changes "WPA3-Personal" security of the whole network to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" while adding a Node. This makes WPA3 useless or redundant if WPA2 is being forced on us.

@ASUSWRT_2020 Any idea when will Asus support WPA3-only mode in AiMesh? Right now with 2 RT-AX88U, it force-changes "WPA3-Personal" security of the whole network to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" while adding a Node. This makes WPA3 useless or redundant if WPA2 is being forced on us.
I agree with @sanke1 pretty silly having an older security protocols enabled with the new security protocols, having them both enabled brings all the ricks of the older protocol, I understand for compatibility reasons the older protocol might need to stay enabled. However for users who know all their devices support WPA-3 makes sense to have an option for WPA-3 only mode.

Can anybody give me an idea on why I have seen a couple on reboots on one of my xt8's this morning.
Firmware Version:9.0.0.4.386_41994
Using Wired backhaul to RT-AX92U Aimesh router.

Mar 12 09:10:21 BHC: Disconnected from CAP.
Mar 12 09:15:22 BHC: Disconnected from CAP.
Mar 12 09:20:22 BHC: Disconnected from CAP.
Mar 12 09:25:22 BHC: Disconnected from CAP.
Mar 12 09:25:23 ahs: [self_healing]pattern_index-[4].
Mar 12 09:25:23 ahs: [self_healing]re_pattern-[BHC: Disconnected from CAP\.].
Mar 12 09:25:23 ahs: [self_healing]take action-[reboot].
Mar 12 09:25:28 %s: %s: Rebooting...

Last edited:
still no fix for the speedtest bug on GTAX11000 does not go above 650mb (have a 1000/420 conection) AX88U early versions have same problem and when using version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 - released on 2021/03/03 fixes it.

cheers

Does AIMesh tell you which clients are connected to which node I have just bought another AC68U to set up as a node.

Yes, There is an aimesh page in the web ui which you can see what nodes are part of the mesh network as well as
what clients are connected to which node.

1615762992065.png

I also have horrible WiFi calling performance on zenwifi XT8 - no matter which node, half the time it will start a wifi call then drop or I can't hear the other person... I've completely disabled it at this point.

Sidenote - any idea if the RT-AX89X will ever make it in here?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!