What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.260.21 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sid you double check that you downloaded the N66U version and not the AC66U version ?
Do you have the pc attached by wire when you do the upgrade ?
Try to poer the unit off and on before you make the update of the f/w.
If you do not succeed with the upgrade you can put the unit in rescue mode
and use the mini-web gui to restore the new f/w to the router. If you have problems about setting the unit in rescue mode : press the reset button till the power led blinks slowly. You will have to assign a statip ip-address to the pc for example 192.168.1.2 with mask 255.255.255.0 if the router has a ip-address of 192.168.1.1.

My wife gave me a RT N66U last week which I have been testing as an AP prior to making it my my primary router.

Was able to upload and upgrade the router to the latest ASUS version 3.0.0.4.260.

I then wanted to load the Asuswrt Merlin version 3.0.0.4.260.21.

Everytime I try I get an error message "Incorrect Version or corrupt image file." and the upgrade fails. Have downloaded the software three times from Merlins Tower and tried installing from both my PC and a USB drive connected to the router.

No problems after the failure and the router continues to work fine. In between attempts I have rebooted the router to clear memory but still a no go.

Suggestions?

Make sure you unzip it first - you want to upload the .trx file, not the .zip file.

Also make sure you are on the Upgrade Firmware page, not on the Settings page where you can upload a backup of your settings.

Finally, make sure you do get the RT-N66U version of the firmware.

Still getting the same error message. I am on the upgrade page and I have extracted the trx file.

Hi,
Have you reset the router B4 updating?

Still getting the same error message. I am on the upgrade page and I have extracted the trx file.

Just as a shot in the dark, this is the md5sum that I have from the firmware that I used when upgrading...works for me:

36ECB3CF848309A96826DEBEFDF2226D RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_260.21.trx

Hi,
Have you reset the router B4 updating?

Yes I reset router and rebooted between each attempt to upload file and upgrade software. Didn't make any difference. I had downloaded file three times from Merlin's site and tried installing from two networked computers and USB drive plugged directly into router. I always got the message when I had uploaded 97% - 100% of file that it was corrupted or wrong version.

Finally went to MediaFire this morning and downloaded the folder with all zipped versions. Had no difficulties installing upgrade. Now running Ver. 22

I don't know if it was just luck or there is a glitch in the file from Merlin's site, but everything is working fine now.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Good evening RMerlin,

PS provides the following excerpt:

946 admin 2388 S nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
947 admin 2336 S nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
948 admin 3224 S N smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf

... and the syslog that:

Jan 1 01:00:20 Samba Server: daemon is started
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: [2011/01/01 01:01:37, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(392)
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: Samba name server RT-N66U is now a local master browser for workgroup XYZ on subnet 192.168.1.19
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: [2011/01/01 01:01:37, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name XYZ<1b> for the workgroup XYZ.
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

The last entries / lines

nmbd/... fail(351) ... Unable to sync browse lists...

are repeated constantly.

Can I ignore that?

FYI, in case if you are having the same issue: It looks like I was able to fix the "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name xxxx<1b>" issue on my router by forcing Samba to be the Master Browser through the UI. Look for the option under "USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk"

thread_necro_zps92d0acb7.gif

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!