What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't know how you upgraded, but upgrading from recovery mode worked well for me. You get into recovery mode by powering up with the reset button pressed, and should see the power light blinking slowly to indicate recovery mode. You can then use the router's "rescue" utility to flash it. Takes longer, but it's a good way to recover from a bad flash.

thanks, i'll try that.. i'll report back when i'm done

hello
ran across merlin experimental for rt-n16 and had to try..... fills the need. but when I enable traffic logging and use the mount point for the usb stic to /dev/sda1/data and set to create and nothing shows up on the stic. tried /mnt/tmp/asuswrt/log/ and nothing also.
was curious what I am doing wrong or not doing.
thanks

Where is that setting ?

GH

hello
ran across merlin experimental for rt-n16 and had to try..... fills the need. but when I enable traffic logging and use the mount point for the usb stic to /dev/sda1/data and set to create and nothing shows up on the stic. tried /mnt/tmp/asuswrt/log/ and nothing also.
thanks

/dev/sda1 is not a mount point, it's a device. You cannot write directly to a device, you need to use a mount point. This will usually be /mnt/sda1/xxx/ . Don't forget to create the xxx directory first, and don't forget the trailing slash at the end either.

/mnt/tmp/asuswrt/log doesn't exist.

I generated the log directory and nothing. do I have to name or create a file also?
when I do a df I have /dev/sda1 mounted /dev/mnt/asuswrt so I would use
/dev/mnt/asuswrt/log/ ?
i tried and still no luck.
thanks

/dev/sda1 is not a mount point, it's a device. You cannot write directly to a device, you need to use a mount point. This will usually be /mnt/sda1/xxx/ . Don't forget to create the xxx directory first, and don't forget the trailing slash at the end either.

/mnt/tmp/asuswrt/log doesn't exist.

hello
thanks
ok got it thanks it was the /tmp/mnt/asuswrt/ and the files were creatted.
to the other person that wanted to know th elocation it was in tools/other xxx

Hello. I have the latest 3.0.0.4.270 firmware for my RT-N66U. I am curious what the Merlin xxx.24 version is about. Can I simply re-install the original FW from Asus if I so happen to simply prefer it?

Hello. I have the latest 3.0.0.4.270 firmware for my RT-N66U. I am curious what the Merlin xxx.24 version is about. Can I simply re-install the original FW from Asus if I so happen to simply prefer it?

Yes you can go back to the official firmware.

For the changes: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9924 (first post of this thread).

GH
ps: please also see the first thread of this forum: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846 to have the big picture...

Last edited:
Don't know how you upgraded, but upgrading from recovery mode worked well for me. You get into recovery mode by powering up with the reset button pressed, and should see the power light blinking slowly to indicate recovery mode. You can then use the router's "rescue" utility to flash it. Takes longer, but it's a good way to recover from a bad flash.

well, first of all I initially upgraded the regular way through the admin section, like I always did in the past. Again something goes wrong :(
in recovery mode I browse for the file (unzipped) and then hit upgrade, it hangs there for like 3 minute or so (without a progress bar) and then goes to a error page that the server took to long (firefox) .. there are more options in the recovery mode, to clear the memory and to reboot.
should I clear before upgrading? maybe try to go back to .23b ?

well, first of all I initially upgraded the regular way through the admin section, like I always did in the past. Again something goes wrong :(
in recovery mode I browse for the file (unzipped) and then hit upgrade, it hangs there for like 3 minute or so (without a progress bar) and then goes to a error page that the server took to long (firefox) .. there are more options in the recovery mode, to clear the memory and to reboot.
should I clear before upgrading? maybe try to go back to .23b ?

When you are having issues in recovery mode, it's best to unplug every other network device from your router (including the modem) before attempting to do a Firmware recovery. I recommend also using the Firmware Recovery Tool from Asus's support CD - I've had better luck with this than with a browser. Another benefit of using that tool is you won't need to set your computer to a static IP within the router's network.

Strange Error

Hello Guys and Gals,

Strange error. I have successfully fixed, with the help of a PM to RMerlin.

I enabled SSH and then logged in using Putty.

I then went did the following to find the location for the Traffic logs.

cd /
ls
cd mnt
ls
cd Transcend
ls
cd Traffic
ls

Note my usb is a Transcend and I 'think' it was named as such. dont know its new.

Ok, but now my next question. when in the menu with the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.270.24), All is good, I see the menu on the left, the tabs on top and the firmware version and the like on top. nothing strange here. I can click on the tools button on the menu, sysinfo tab is fine, WakeOnLAN is fine, Run Cmd is fine too, but the Other Settings tabs seems to 'lose' the bordering info, all tabs are gone, the left menu is gone (appears to be just a black border). The apply button also does not work. It is the strangest thing.

Anyone able to assist? Alternatively, if you can tell me where to find the config file to modify to allow the saving of the traffic logs to my usb flash drive.

Thank you
C

When you are having issues in recovery mode, it's best to unplug every other network device from your router (including the modem) before attempting to do a Firmware recovery. I recommend also using the Firmware Recovery Tool from Asus's support CD - I've had better luck with this than with a browser. Another benefit of using that tool is you won't need to set your computer to a static IP within the router's network.

YEAH! worked, at 1st it stopped @ 40%, saying the connection with my router failed.. disabled anti-virus and firewall and then it finished.. router-menu is now working flawlessly !

THANKS MERLIN! :)

Think I found a bug

So I was messing around with the client list. (Not sure if this was posted) Administration-System-Client list. I added one client, but was then unable to clear the list. So I now have to have a client in the client list.

Is this normal operation?

... Alternatively, if you can tell me where to find the config file to modify to allow the saving of the traffic logs to my usb flash drive.
Thank you
C

Menu: Tools
Tab: Other settings
Parameter: Traffic history location

GH

Alternatively, if you can tell me where to find the config file to modify to allow the saving of the traffic logs to my usb flash drive.
Thank you
C

Menu: Tools
Tab: Other settings
Parameter: Traffic history location
GH

I just saw that my answer does't make sense taking into account the first part of your post...

After enabling ssh, did you change anything using Putty ?

GH

I just saw that my answer does't make sense taking into account the first part of your post...

After enabling ssh, did you change anything using Putty ?

GH

Thank you.

I did not actually. I'm a windows guy that has very little experience with Linux, and have been playing with it for some time, so... I make sure that I am VERY careful not to even open vi as that has a tendancy of hurting... I know :q!, but rather stay away from it... I am going to attempt a firmware reinstall and see where I end up...

:)

C

AH!!! I can attach files... :) screenshots coming up.

Please forgive the settings already in the window, I cant change it, which is my problem ultimately...

These are using opera, all I cropped from the images are the tabs at the top, so these are full windows... I tried also on an Ubuntu box with Firefox. same issue with Opera, Firefox and IE, although IE actually lops off more at the top and wont allow scrolling...

If you need any more infor, I can get it, just a little help with location of info if it is using putty on the router. :)

Attachments

• Normal Router shot.jpg
    Normal Router shot.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Faulty Router shot.jpg
    Faulty Router shot.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Strange WIFI Crash

Hello Merlin, when using my macbook pro retina, I have noticed a strage wireless problem, sometime the wifi seems to stop acessing the internet, but I can acess the router webpage on ac66u, but wireless only come back to normal funcionality after a reboot, the first time ocured at 3 days of power on, the second time it was 1 day and a few hours.

Has anyone had noticed or have the same ocurrence?

Thanks, sorry the bad english.

Thank you.
...These are using opera, all I cropped from the images are the tabs at the top, so these are full windows... I tried also on an Ubuntu box with Firefox. same issue with Opera, Firefox and IE, although IE actually lops off more at the top and wont allow scrolling...
If you need any more infor, I can get it, just a little help with location of info if it is using putty on the router. :)

Let's try to correct the display problem. After we will see for the logging...

Please look at that thread. Don't look at the problem itself, more at the instructions given by Marlin in order to find the errors messages that prevent the page to display correctly:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=60694

Please come back here when you have the error messages from the browser.

GH

I've had good luck with the rescue utility for the rt-n66u downloaded from Asus. I assume that's the same utility that's on the CD, except the one downloaded from Asus could be a later version. Although since the one on the CD works, the version apparently doesn't matter...but I tend to lose CD's pretty quickly and rely on downloads *smile*.

Merlin,

Let me just add my thanks and congratulations on a beautiful piece of work. Finally (with trepidation) took the plunge and updated to this firmware (from .178) on my N66U. I took screen shots of my critical settings first. The firmware flash went flawlessly, and my settings are now re-entered. FWIW, I'm in an almost 100% Apple environment.

When I first got this router, I was impressed with the interface that came stock from ASUS. While it was good, this is amazing...elegant, well thought out, useful, and intuitive.

Much thanks sir, and if there's somewhere to donate to recognize your effort and hard work, please point me there.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!