What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow, $120 each is a really good price for the rt-n66u...were these refurbished units? The current price at Office Depot is $171, that would be a really exceptional sale price.

I am on verizon lte now, cause i went back to my linksys and it is not getting an IP either. Maybe something is going on with charter, R Merlin does your final firmware released on 3/2 have the charter fix you speak of?

Everything was 30% off at office depot except , computers, laptops, tablets and printers btw the last 6 days. Ended on the 2nd i think...even projectors.

I decided it was time. The routers were 118 for each actually plus some tax. Ended up 124 with tax or something in NC. ((( New In Box)))

Wow, 30% off, that's great. Good for you! Enjoy your routers *smile*.

R Merlin does your final firmware released on 3/2 have the charter fix you speak of?

Yes, both 3.0.0.4.270.25 (March 2nd) and 3.0.0.4.270.25b (March 3rd) have the relaxed DHCP rate.

Thanks for letting me know that. I was busy setting up a laptop beside this one and migrating settings from ddwrt to merlin-wrt. I think i just about got everything. I do like how i can resolve dynamic dns addresses by default to inside your network/ and outside without any fancy command line stuff. It just works.

I guess other than familiarity, I dont have a reason to be on DDWRT at this time. Its just faster I guess, save apply reboot. the Asus code takes quite a bit longer to process updates, but how many times would i need to update.

I did run out of static DHCP addresses though. Too many devices.

What I am going to do is test Merlin WRT and DD-WRT for a couple days and back after I make backups of each config. I suppose time will tell. Thanks for the quick reply on the Charter relaxed DHCP stuff.

im on 25b now and things appear to be going smoothly so far.

I think I've figured this out. I disabled the DLNA server setting and also Force as Master Browser (under USB advanced setting). I haven't had a DNS crash in over 7 days.

Well, spoke too soon. Lost DNS after 11 days due to the "kernel: VFS: file-max limit 22703 reached" problem. I'm not sure what is creating that many files or why? Does anyone know whether this "file-max" can be increased so I have to reset the router less?

I have no USB devices connected to the router at all, so I'm not sure why VFS is reaching the file limit.

Well, spoke too soon. Lost DNS after 11 days due to the "kernel: VFS: file-max limit 22703 reached" problem. I'm not sure what is creating that many files or why? Does anyone know whether this "file-max" can be increased so I have to reset the router less?

I have no USB devices connected to the router at all, so I'm not sure why VFS is reaching the file limit.

The only way to figure out what is leaking handles is to plug a USB disk, setup Optware, and install the "lsof" package. That tool will let you see the list of open file handles - you'll see then which process is leaking handles.

Make sure the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router is Cat5e or Cat6, since the router has a gigabit port. Otherwise the connection between the router and the modem will be unstable.

Also, try leaving the modem turned off for 5-10 minutes, to fully reset the connection with the ISP, just to be safe.

Finally, make sure you update to 3.0.0.4.270.25b. That version has a fix specific to Charter, for the case where the router might get you blacklisted by Charter's DHCP servers if you send too many DHCP requests in a short period of time (this is mostly the case after powering up the modem, or after a power failure).

Are the cables that typically ship with these routers cat 6?

How can someone tell what kind of cables when looking at them? Do they say what they are?

Are the cables that typically ship with these routers cat 6?

How can someone tell what kind of cables when looking at them? Do they say what they are?

The grade is written along the length of the cable.

The cable that shipped with the RT-N66U is Cat5e.

The only way to figure out what is leaking handles is to plug a USB disk, setup Optware, and install the "lsof" package. That tool will let you see the list of open file handles - you'll see then which process is leaking handles.

That sounds pretty involved. I will try 25b this weekend instead and see what happens.

P.S. Thanx for all the work you do to give us the custom firmware! I really appreciate it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online