What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi

I just saw that ASUS released v. 3.0.0.4.372.1393 for the RT-N66U a few days ago, stating the changes as:
"Updated Broadcom driver and fixed Intel 4965 / 6300 5GHz 40MHz connection issue."
(http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/#support_Download_36)

Is this still not working properly, or did it just arrive after RMerlins release of his v.3.0.0.4.372.31, since for this release RMerlin states that for the RT-N66U the driver is downgraded to build 270 ? Or are there still stability problems with this latest driver update from ASUS/Broadcom ?

Thanks

still lots of problems hence merlin putting the older working drivers into this build.

Any fix they implemented should also be in my firmware, as I merged with their latest GPL source code (372_1393). Might be it's not properly fixed - I haven't tested it myself since the only kid in this house is me :p. Seeing the other issues IE has with Parental Control it's probably best to use a different browser for the time being until Asus takes a closer look at it.

Thanks for the quick answer. Well when it comes to browser issues it is just the visual ie does not show how one set the schedule. but the fact that the setup doesn't work is somthing else. i have done all my configuring in chrome so it should work. i hope someone could test this issue.

Hi

I just saw that ASUS released v. 3.0.0.4.372.1393 for the RT-N66U a few days ago, stating the changes as:
"Updated Broadcom driver and fixed Intel 4965 / 6300 5GHz 40MHz connection issue."
(http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/#support_Download_36)

Is this still not working properly, or did it just arrive after RMerlins release of his v.3.0.0.4.372.31, since for this release RMerlin states that for the RT-N66U the driver is downgraded to build 270 ? Or are there still stability problems with this latest driver update from ASUS/Broadcom ?

Thanks

See the user feedback in this thread. The fix doesn't work.

I don't know about that one. The manual talks about resetting via the GUI (page 41) and resetting by pressing the reset button for 5 seconds. Personally, I just hold the WPS button when powering on the router for 10 seconds.

I suppose when in doubt, read the manual.

The manual can be found in link below:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8

Or you could just read the manual. :)

Did I mention anything about reading the manual??

The manual doesn't say anything about clearing the NVRAM. It only talks about restoring original settings. If that's the same as clearing the NVRAM that this would be nice to know.

You know I teach pilots (and am one myself) how to fly Airbuses. I get asked the same questions over and over again. I'd be a jerk if I said, "huh huh go read the manual". No I'm happy to explain it 1000 times because there's nothing better to understanding that someone explaining it to you. It's a correlation of learning that you just don't get from reading a manual. But yet instead of answering the question people will take the time writing paragraphs about how you should read the manual and look it up. Well I did! I see NOTHING in the manual that even speaks of NVRAM. That's why I ask. I don't know about you guys but I was taught the only dumb question was the one you didn't ask. I'm finished with my rant. Thanks for the help! :mad:

I've search Google, searched this thread, searched this forum and there are multiple ways mentioned to clear the NVRAM. So I'd like to hear from the developer on how to do it so that it minimizes the chance of bricking my device using the great Merlin firmwares. What's so hard and wrong with that?

By the way if you asked me a question I'd be happy to answer it 100 times. Just the difference in me and you.

Last edited:
holding the wps button while turning the router on is the best and none bricking way to reset.

it clears the nvram but in none tech asus call it restore default settings.

I guess it is the same as you telling someone to pull back on the yoke to adjust the elevators to help gain altitude.

Or if you were still allowed to have kids in the cockpit you would say.

you pull that back to go up. :D

From the official FAQ at https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ:

Q: How do I wipe my settings? Reset button does not work.
A: If the firmware fails to boot, then the reset button won't work. Turn the router off, press the WPS button. While keeping it pressed turn the router back on. Wait a few seconds, then release the WPS button. Settings will be back to factory defaults.

DUAL WAN scripts fire twice..

RMerlin,

When using DUAL WAN (372.31_0dwrpyn), all of the scripts such as wan-start etc. fire twice.

Although having the scripts execute twice isn't a big deal (I now have each script check to see if another copy is already running), is it possible to be able to identify which WAN (*DSL or 3G modem) has triggered the script?

i.e. for ./wan-start could you trigger it with the interface as an argument?

e.g. wan-start [ppp0 | ppp1 | eth0 etc. ]

Subsequently, within the wan-start script I could then detect if the event was for DSL, and assuming I am using 3G I could then simply issue 'ifconfig 3G-modem-interface DOWN' to potentially switch back from 3G failover mode without having to reboot.

Regards,

The manual doesn't say anything about clearing the NVRAM. It only talks about restoring original settings. If that's the same as clearing the NVRAM that this would be nice to know.

then google is your friend to ;)

Merlin 2012:
Otherwise, there are many ways to clear nvram:
Turn the router on with the WPS button pressed
Use the option to revert to factory defaults on the webui
(ADVANCED USERS ONLY) do an mtd-erase -d nvram
Boot to recovery mode, and use the webui at 192.168.1.1 to clear out nvram
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7858

RMerlin,

When using DUAL WAN (372.31_0dwrpyn), all of the scripts such as wan-start etc. fire twice.

Although having the scripts execute twice isn't a big deal (I now have each script check to see if another copy is already running), is it possible to be able to identify which WAN (*DSL or 3G modem) has triggered the script?

i.e. for ./wan-start could you trigger it with the interface as an argument?

Probably not a bad idea. I'd probably specify which WAN unit is calling it instead (i.e. wan0 or wan1), as it will be more flexible and clearer than the WAN interface being used. Once you know the WAN unit, it means you will be able to easily query nvram to retrieve any other info you might want from that specific WAN unit (i.e. interface, IP, protocol, etc...)

I'm always a fan of publicizing 'crazy stuff' that I see.

FWIW on 2 occasions I have gone from the latest ASUS stock to Merlin 372.31 on my AC66U and my 2.4Ghz has been terrible. I struggled with it for a while (the drivers appear to be the same etc) however after a factory reset and re-entering the config, everything seems to be fine.

I'd put it down to some environmental stuff, but the fact that its happened twice probably warrants a mention.

I can't put my finger on it, but I also suspect the DHCP logging is causing some performance hits (especially after a reboot and all the clients start clamoring for addresses again)

Last edited:
OPENVPN (Tap driver) is still not working

Merlin

my openvpn configuration worked in versions up to 26b. It did not work in 30 (as we discussed) and now does not work in 31. Any ideas. I could not downgrade to 26b without running recovery.

Merlin

my openvpn configuration worked in versions up to 26b. It did not work in 30 (as we discussed) and now does not work in 31. Any ideas. I could not downgrade to 26b without running recovery.

I will need more details about your specific configuration, because both TUN and TAP servers are working fine for me.

Open VPN is not working on 31

I will need more details about your specific configuration, because both TUN and TAP servers are working fine for me.

Merlin I tried resaving the keys by selecting applied. The keys would not save. The RTAC66U just said "processing" for over 5 minutes before I rebooted.

I restored 28 and OPENPVN is back working

Here is my config:
Basic Settings
Select server instance
Service state ON

Start with WAN Yes
Interface Type tap
Protocol tcp
Port 443

Firewall automatic
Authorization Mode tls
Extra HMAC authorization disabled
(tls-auth)
Allocate from DHCP Yes
Advanced Settings
Poll Interval 1
(in minutes, 0 to disable)
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic No
Respond to DNS No
Encryption cipher default
Compression adaptive
TLS Renegotiation Time -1
(in seconds, -1 for default)
Manage Client-Specific Options Yes
Allow Client <-> Client Yes
Allow only specified clients No
Allowed Clients
Common Name Subnet Netmask Push Add / Delete

No data in table.
Custom configuration
duplicate-cn
management 192.yyy.xxx.1 (I inserted the real numbers for the ip address of the router

For someone with an RT-N66U who doesn't use AI Cloud or Open VPN and is still on 3.0.0.4.270.26, what is the value for moving to 3.0.0.372.31? Is there a compelling feature or fix that makes the trouble of re-entering DHCP reservations and MAC filtering worthwhile?

Merlin I tried resaving the keys by selecting applied. The keys would not save. The RTAC66U just said "processing" for over 5 minutes before I rebooted.

I restored 28 and OPENPVN is back working

Here is my config:
Basic Settings
Select server instance
Service state ON

Start with WAN Yes
Interface Type tap
Protocol tcp
Port 443

Firewall automatic
Authorization Mode tls
Extra HMAC authorization disabled
(tls-auth)
Allocate from DHCP Yes
Advanced Settings
Poll Interval 1
(in minutes, 0 to disable)
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic No
Respond to DNS No
Encryption cipher default
Compression adaptive
TLS Renegotiation Time -1
(in seconds, -1 for default)
Manage Client-Specific Options Yes
Allow Client <-> Client Yes
Allow only specified clients No
Allowed Clients
Common Name Subnet Netmask Push Add / Delete

No data in table.
Custom configuration
duplicate-cn
management 192.yyy.xxx.1 (I inserted the real numbers for the ip address of the router

You can't use port 443 - that's used by AiCloud. Your OpenVPN server is conflicting with AiCloud.

For someone with an RT-N66U who doesn't use AI Cloud or Open VPN and is still on 3.0.0.4.270.26, what is the value for moving to 3.0.0.372.31? Is there a compelling feature or fix that makes the trouble of re-entering DHCP reservations and MAC filtering worthwhile?
If your issue is reentering DHCP reservations and MAC filters, you might be able to speed this up by saving the output of this command:

nvram show|egrep ^\(dhcp_static\|macfilter\)

and using nvram set after upgrading to put the values back.

For those having trouble setting the channel on their RT-N66U, I just tested various channels, with channel width set to 20, 20/40, 40 only, and every time the router properly switched to the channel I specified (confirmed using Wifi Analyzer on my N7). Those having issues, please try a different browser to see if it works any better. I tested using Google Chrome.

Also try reverting back to factory defaults if you were using 354 before - there might be some nvram settings left from 354's driver that could be causing issues. Make a backup of your settings first so if it doesn't fix your problem, you can go back to your previous configuration. If it does resolve your issue however, then you will have to reconfigure your router.

Sorry about that, but this is the price to pay for the Frankenbuild that is required to have the latest FW code working with the older wireless driver.

I just uploaded 3.0.0.4.372.31_2 for the RT-AC56U. There was an issue on this router only where Samba wasn't properly starting.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!