What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

...It auto chose channel 6 which is the most crowded, so I changed it to 20Mhz Channel 11 and the signal is better. Not sure why it defaulted to Chn 6.

Yes! Another who got "stuck" on channel 6. I went back to Beta 1, no problems. :cool: If you ever find the *fix* for channel 6 lock, PLEASE report back here, I will do the same whenever I try Beta 3 again. Thanks for making feel not so alone on this cold, red planet! ;)

Last edited:
Merlin,
With regard to the N66U what's the difference between this new xxx.33b3 and the pixie dust test SDK 6 version? Any reason to upgrade or wait? Thanks.

Everything you see on the changelog between Beta1 and Beta3 is also different. Pixie Dust was Beta 1 FW code.

My problem is solved with this fix. It's scanning my library and I can access my files again from my AiCloud app. Great job Merlin, thx. Can't give any comments about the scanning, since that wasn't my problem to begin with.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

I haven't done a thorough analysis of the new code, but I suspect that the scandir() function might be where it gets stuck due to running out of memory on very large libraries.

I'll release 374.33 with this new thumbnail/album artwork cache code disabled.

Yes! Another who got "stuck" on channel 6. I went back to Beta 1, no problems. :cool: If you ever find the *fix* for channel 6 lock, PLEASE report back here, I will do the same whenever I try Beta 3 again. Thanks for making feel not so alone on this cold, red planet! ;)

I just selected 20Mhz and then Channel 11, and applied the changes without any problems.

Yes, but I want the Auto 20/40 Mode. :)

I have tried 20 mhz only and a different browser and no joy everytime i change the channel and hit apply it defaults back to auto channel 6. There is a bug in the firmware for sure.

I just selected 20Mhz and then Channel 11, and applied the changes without any problems.

You have used an alternate means to verify channel, right? The GUI was lying to my face as I scanned with inSSIDer. :eek: :D

Whats the point when a firmware is released one should expect it to function properly not have to try this and try that for a band aid fix. Maybe some of you enjoy constantly playing around with your routers i for one just like to set it and forget it but that dont seem to be possible with Asus. :(

Whats the point when a firmware is released one should expect it to function properly not have to try this and try that for a band aid fix. Maybe some of you enjoy constantly playing around with your routers i for one just like to set it and forget it but that dont seem to be possible with Asus. :(

The "beta" label on this release is a good reason to test different scenarios, especially as I've been unable to reproduce the issue on my end so far. That means trying different scenarios to figure out why the issue only happens to some people is the next best thing to do.

Of course, you can also stick to non-beta versions if indeed you'd rather not spend time experimenting. That is perfectly OK, I understand that for some people it's not very convenient to do a lot of experimentation on a router that has to service a whole network.

I have tried 20 mhz only and a different browser and no joy everytime i change the channel and hit apply it defaults back to auto channel 6. There is a bug in the firmware for sure.

That was with 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta3-sdk5 right? i had the same problem. The Wlan web page returned immediately without changing any value.
I downloaded the source archive and tried to make my own build but the src archive is also broken. Several files in kernel sub folders are missing. So i gave up and switched back to 33_beta1.

Thank you SN. That's 4 people I know of with same problem on Beta 3. I'm not feeling guilty of total incompetence anymore! Just slight. :D

Thank you SN. That's 4 people I know of with same problem on Beta 3. I'm not feeling guilty of total incompetence anymore! Just slight. :D

Slowly, slowly ;) I think we do refer to two different problems.
The one i observed is related to 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta3-sdk5 only.
With 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta3b i noticed a different problem: Setting 20/40Mhz mode is switching to auto channel. No real problem for me as i dont use that mode.

Hi Merlin,

I joined to the Asus router owners club four months ago, with a AC66U and using your firmware builds from 270.26b without any mystic issue. I'm happy with my AC66U, especially from 374_32 (it's easy because I have no any i device and I not use the 5Ghz and AiCloud).
Two weeks ago I offered a friend that I setting up and fine tuning his new AC56U. His key points the well working DLNA service and smooth, gapless DLNA streaming performance (fortunately he prefer to use wired connection). Under the setup process I faced some issue, I'm not sure that these issues are under your development/debugging focus, but maybe you can help.
First issue, when I connect a usb disk to AC56U with the following partition configurations the router reboot itself. ntfs+ext3 (USB2 enclosure) or fat32+ext3 (USB3 enclosure) partitions (both disk are 500GB, first big partition ntfs or fat32 and a small ~1.9GB second ext3 partition) When the router start to try access to disk I see that the accessing LED on the enclosure blinking 1 sec and after 1-2 sec the router restarting (if I don't remove the enclosure the router restarting under the boot process when initialized the usb port and start accessing the disk). Same effect with your 374.32, 374.33b1, 374.33b3 and stock 374.134, 374.158. With AC66U no any issue, I see both partition, on both disk in the web ui. Another reason (DLNA issue) I tried your 372_30_2 on AC56U and I was surprised that the router don't reboot with ntfs+fat32 disk and I see both partition in web ui. For temporally fix I delete the ext3 partition from fat32 disk (that I need to use with AC56U), I don't want to use with old 372_30_2 firmware.
The another issue, the traffic monitor show the wired traffic (in/out) under the internet traffic, added wired amount to internet amount (Outgoing packets to wired network to Outgoing Internet packets, Incoming packets from wired network to Incoming Internet packets) on Real-time, Last 24 hours, Daily, Monthly page. I see some small 1-3 pixel high spike on wired graph, but I could not pair with any event. Same affect with all firmware above. On AC66U with same router config no issue.

Thanks in advance
p.s.: sorry for poor English
p.s.2: I clear nvram before and after all firmware change and after reset factory default on admin page and just after then setting up the router manually (never load back config that saved different firmware version)

Randomly checked my stock AC56U for an update...and the router said there was...

ASUS RT-AC56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.158

Asus doesn;t seem to have update their website with a change log...anyone know anything?

I upgraded to this new version and just small inf. the wireless driver seems to same than in 374.134 (same date/time and version number):
admin@RT-AC56U:/tmp/home/root# wl ver
6.37 RC14.34
wl0: Aug 27 2013 11:16:07 version 6.37.14.34 (r415984)
admin@RT-AC56U:/tmp/home/root#

Jumbo frames in Switch control need only for wireless... and have size only 4000. you don't need enable it for wire. I have high ping issue with Jumbo frames in switch control on the all firmwares but the rest does not bother.:rolleyes:

Jumbo wifi frames?

I'm pretty sure custom MTU size (ie larger, "jumbo frames") affects traffic through the switch side only.

I have experimented in my network on an RT-N66U (running sequential multi GB file transfers) from windows PCs & Macs through my Synology and measured no repeatable statistically significant improvement between MTU of 1500, 4000, and even higher. All cabling is gigabit and a lot of the transfers were directly through another gigabit DLink switch that my N66 connects to, of all places where increased performance might be measurable I was hoping to see some through that switch.

I think with CPUs on workstations, servers, and NASes getting so much stronger that the jumbo frame has smaller window of improvement capability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo_frame#Obsolescence

Tim did a nice article a few years ago where he too got negligible improvement on a Synology, but modest improvements on a couple other NAS devices. He also gives a great background on how it works and conditions that make sense to use it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...1-need-to-know-jumbo-frames-in-small-networks

Also with consumer NASes being both pretty good in the CPU department, and also tasked with many different duties of file transfer & streaming duties, potentially not all of them suited to a large frame size - it could be counterproductive in some tasks you call on your NAS for.

Either way, I had no improvement in my unscientific yet pretty controlled study.

You have used an alternate means to verify channel, right? The GUI was lying to my face as I scanned with inSSIDer. :eek: :D

That's a great point to verify with something that can connect to the AP to confirm 802.11g or n, channel, and channel width.

Though I haven't used InSSider in a long time, of the various wifi scanning tools I use I know some of them (and some router firmwares, like even DD-WRT might do this on my bridges I think) display 40mhz channel extension in a weird way or that might not jive with Asus's "upper/lower" wide channel selection labels. Ie if your primary channel is 6, you force 40mhz channels and select "upper" you'll also get channel 10, some devices might call that SSID as channel 8 since that's the center. Just something to be aware of, but good advice @pulp to check what the client device/s see, not just the router UI setting.

I just realized this week that I have no devices on 2.4ghz that actually do 40mhz channels, they are all connecting to my 5ghz SSID if they are new enough to support N.

1.jpg

Hi guys

I got this thing causing me a headache!

I got an Imac, Synology NAS 712+ and the RT-AC66U with 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3.

My question is about jumbo frames.

I can enable jumbo frames and put them on 9000 on the IMAC and Synology NAS, but when I enable Jumbo Frames under Switch control everything is stalling.

What am I doing wrong?

The problem is the same on a PC, so it shouldn't be an issue with the NAS or computer.

Hope you can help me out!

Best reg.

Anders

Some NICS don't dont play well with each other when jumbo frames are enabled...and even if they are set to the same vaule...some arnt really that accurate and my need to me tweaked up or down

You can test jumbo frames support by using ping. http://www.interworks.com/blogs/tlester/2010/12/29/test-jumbo-frames-how-tell-if-9000-mtu-working

Tell John Madden to put down the digitizer pen and pick up a keyboard to shed some light on what the question is. ;)

I'm going to take a stab at what I think you're asking...are you saying it hasn't synced NTP yet? Have you put in an NTP server and rebooted it? If so does the log have a mention of trying to touch the NTP server?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!