What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3 is now available for download. The main highlights over Beta 1:

• Based on Asus's 374.720 GPL code
  • RT-N66U now officially using the SDK6 wireless driver. Users report shorter range on the 2.4 GHz band, but that version resolves the vast majority of compatibility issues with some wireless clients, in addition to bringing back HW acceleration for PPPoE and XBox compatibility option (neither existed in the old 5.100 SDK).
  • For the few corner cases still left, an experimental build based on SDK 5.100 (same as FW 270) is still available (for the time being) in the Experimental folder
  • YandexDNS support moved to the main build, which means no more experimental build to compile for three routers - that's saves me a good bit of work.
  • Couple of minor fixed over Beta 1

What mostly needs tested:

• The RT-AC56U AiCloud is currently a mixture of 119 GPL, 134 binary and 720 backend code. There mgiht be a few quirks caused by this, not much I can do until Asus releases newer binary blobs for the closed-source bits of AiCloud specific to the ARM platform.
  • The official switch to SDK6 should be less quirky than my hacked together pixie dust build (which turned out better than I expected). I know about the reports of shorter range (please do test an actual file transfer however, as the signal strength doesn't mean everything - what matters is the stability at which packets can be transferred, which will determine the actual throughput). I'm mostly interested at this point in reports of inability to connect.
  • So far the initial feedback for the new Parental Control code has been positive. I'd like to get more feedback on this matter. Please specify if you previously had any problem that was resolved by these recent betas.

Please specify which router you are talking about when reporting anything.

For those wondering about 374_726: I was able to salvage most of the content of that corrupted GPL, and I didn't see anything worth waiting for, so I'm going ahead with the 720-based build for the time being. In any case Asus has been notified, so I would expect a fixed GPL 726 to appear on their website in the coming week.

Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3 is now available for download. The main highlights over Beta 1:

• Based on Asus's 374.720 GPL code

• For people who have already flashed the official Asus 3.0.0.4.374.720 firmware, there is no need to do the clear NVRAM, reset the modem etc. all over again after installing your version?

For people who have already flashed the official Asus 3.0.0.4.374.720 firmware, there is no need to do the clear NVRAM, reset the modem etc. all over again after installing your version?

That's correct. On the RT-N66U, you will most likely need to clear NVRAM if upgrading from one of these:

- An older Asuswrt-Merlin other than the SDK6 experimental build
- An Asus FW older than 374.720

Note that if you previously upgraded to 720 or SDK6 without clearing nvram, then you will be left with the same potential issues. I recommend trying it out, and do an NVRAM clear only if you do experience wireless issues.

For all other router models, you won't need to clear nvram unless coming from a much older version.

Just noticed an odd behavior in the GUI with this build, when you login to the router and the GUI pops up the cursor starts blinking on the WPA key in the system status window as if it were about to be edited.

Howdy folks,

For some reason I can not change the "control channel" and "channel bandwidth" for both 2.4/5GHz. They are stuck in "auto" and "20MHz" respectively for both bands.
Things I've done but wasn't successful to change my luck.:p
a. Cleared NVRAM
b. Reboot
c. Cleared browser cache
c. Power off/on
d. Installed the firmware again, still same problem

RT-N66U
IE10 W8

Note: The options mentioned above works in firmware 4.720(stock)

Last edited:
Just noticed an odd behavior in the GUI with this build, when you login to the router and the GUI pops up the cursor starts blinking on the WPA key in the system status window as if it were about to be edited.

This was introduced by Asus with 720. They changed some of the webui code related to encryption method selection, and that new code will also put the focus on the key field when an encryption method gets selected (as is the case when the page is first loaded).

If I change this, it will most likely create a different problem elsewhere where that same code gets used.

+1 rt-ac66u. Maybe a forgotten setFocus() in code :)

This is caused by limit_auth_method() function from general.js, which then calls authentication_method_change(), which in turns eventually calls one of the new function that handles the key field. Those new functions also set the focus on that field after setting it up.

For some reason I can not change the "control channel" and "channel bandwidth" for both 2.4/5GHz. They are stuck in "auto" and "20MHz" respectively for both bands.
Things I've done but wasn't successful to change my luck.:p
a. Cleared NVRAM
b. Reboot
c. Cleared browser cache
c. Power off/on

RT-N66U
IE10 W8

Note: The options mentioned above works in firmware 4.720(stock)

The odd thing is that page is the exact same page as in the original firmware - I haven't done any modification to that page, and this is actually the first time I can reproduce it.

The odd thing is that page is the exact same page as in the original firmware - I haven't done any modification to that page, and this is actually the first time I can reproduce it.

Think I found why - while I compiled the RT-N66U from within the SDK6 directory, I forgot to modify the RT-N66U profile to specify it was now using the SDK6 wireless driver. So the build is currently a mixture of SDK5 and SDK6.

I'll recompile it, and reupload it in about half an hour. Will notify the thread once it's reuplaoded.

I am getting the same issue on the stock firmware as well FYI... I can set the channel under 40mhz but when its at 20/40 or 20 only it sets the channel to auto.

RT-N66u with Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_720

Beta3b of the RT-N66U FW is now on Mediafire, properly recompiled for SDK6.

I am getting the same issue on the stock firmware as well FYI... I can set the channel under 40mhz but when its at 20/40 or 20 only it sets the channel to auto.

RT-N66u with Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_720

Download beta3b and retry. I was able to switch between different channels here with channel width set to 20 MHz. I haven't tried the original FW however.

Beta3b of the RT-N66U FW is now on Mediafire, properly recompiled for SDK6.

It works now, thanks.:cool:

Did you compile this build with mips32r2? Reason I ask is your previous built has an entry in the log identifying so but the log of 33b beta 3 doesn't.

Last edited:
Thanks for your hard work Merlin. Looking forward to the 276 build.

I have a couple of questions if you have time.

Do I need to reset my AC66R to upgrade from your 372.31 build to the 374.33 Beta 3 build?

If so, is pressing the reset button for 5 seconds the recommended procedure?

Thanks again.

It works now, thanks.:cool:

Did you compile this build with mips32r2? Reason I ask is your previous built has an entry in the log identifying so but the log of 33b beta 3 doesn't.

All MIPS-based builds are optimized for mips32r2 from now on. It wasn't specified in the beta 3 changelog because the change to the build environment was applied in beta 1 - all the Beta 1 changes carry over to Beta 3.

It wasn't specified in the beta 3 changelog because the change to the build environment was applied in beta 1 - all the Beta 1 changes carry over to Beta 3.

I'm actually talking about the router's system log. The previous beta firmware has an entry about mips32r2 but now this is the only log showing.

"kernel: Time: MIPS clocksource has been installed"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!