What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-N66R in AP mode observations:

1) slow link rate in 2.4Ghz band. 5 Mbps with default settings. Changing tx power from 800 to 100 - no change. However, changing channel bandwidth to 20MHz resulted in link rate increasing to 52 Mbps.

2) Stealth mode is not fully stealth. The LEDs for both wireless radios are lit. The other LEDs are off

AC66U-

I'll be honest, I haven't had trouble with any of the Merlin builds until 374.33 Beta 3. For now, I'm back to Beta 1.

For me, I was having constant "hangs" on the 2.4 ghz, and by watching Wifi Analyzer I was actually seeing both the 2.4 and 5 bands completely disappear about every 20 seconds for just a split second (this is something I haven't seen on previous builds).

I had factory reset prior to, and after the upgrade. Now that I'm back on Beta 1 everything is back to normal.

Same here. I had to go back to Beta1 last night when I thought the problem was over. The wifi icon incorrectly displayed the Channel 1 when, in fact, I was on Channel 6. The kicker was when my PS3 Media Server stalled a few times during Breaking Bad, that never happens. BREAKING BAD!!! :eek: :D

Last edited:
That's odd since the wireless driver used in the RT-AC66U build hasn't changed since July.

One thing you guys can try is to turn the router off for a few seconds, then turn it back on to ensure that the radios get fully reset. I've had a few situations where Wifi was giving me trouble after a FW upgrade, and all that was required to solve it was a power cycle.

Also check what channel is being used. Sometimes what seems to be a problem being resolved by a FW downgrade is actually the problem disappearing because after the flash + reboot, your router ended up using a different channel.

Also check what channel is being used. Sometimes what seems to be a problem being resolved by a FW downgrade is actually the problem disappearing because after the flash + reboot, your router ended up using a different channel.

Will do when I get a chance later today/evening. About "check what channel", well, inSSIDer wouldn't lie to me about what Channel I was really on, eh? Beta1 and inSSIDer were showing the exact same channels as I cycled through them. With Beta3, I couldn't get off Channel 6 despite what Beta3 was showing me yet inSSIDER continuously showed 6.

But I'm probably misinterpreting what you are saying... :eek:

*6*66 the number of the beast in my wifi neighbourhood... :D

Last edited:
Will do when I get a chance later today/evening. About "check what channel", well, inSSIDer wouldn't lie to me about what Channel I was really on, eh? Beta1 and inSSIDer were showing the exact same channels as I cycled through them. With Beta3, I couldn't get off Channel 6 despite what Beta3 was showing me yet inSSIDER continuously showed 6.

But I'm probably misinterpreting what you are saying... :eek:

*6*66 the number of the beast in my wifi neighbourhood... :D

InSSIDers is a good way to test, yes. It will also make it easy to monitor through a few minutes to ensure that the router does stay on that channel.

Another thing to try for RT-AC66U owners: try playing with the beamforming option on the 5 GHz professional page. I can't remember if the default is for it to be enabled or disabled.

I also assume that all the other advanced settings are on their default values? If not, try to change them back to the default values, just in case it could be that this feature wasn't working previously (which is why it had no impact on your wifi performance), and that since it's now properly working you are having it set to a less than optimal settings. In the case of B1 vs B3 that would surprise me as the driver wasn't changed, but just in case.

have you tried other speedtests to see if it is the speedtest from thinkbroadband thats flawed

Yes, I've tried other tests and also found that the stock firmware doesn't have this issue.

Yes, I've tried other tests and also found that the stock firmware doesn't have this issue.

Make sure you did flash the beta3b version - the beta3 version for the RT-N66U wasn't properly compiled.

Make sure you did flash the beta3b version - the beta3 version for the RT-N66U wasn't properly compiled.

Hi Merlin - did ASUS published not corrupted version of GPL?

Does AC56 need beta3b too (there is none on the mediafire)?

Hi Merlin - did ASUS published not corrupted version of GPL?

Does AC56 need beta3b too (there is none on the mediafire)?

beta3b only applies to the RT-N66U. While I had compiled that one from the correct SDK6 directory, I had forgotten to modify the build profile to specify that it was now using the SDK6 driver.

Other routers aren't affected as they had no change in SDK version.

A fixed GPL archive should be up now according to another post in this forum, but don't expect much changes between 720 and 726. As I mentioned previously, the main changes seemed to be related to the Quick Internet Setup pages. I will have to do another diff when I get back home to determine if it's worth merging in or not.

Gone back to this beta for connectivity reasons *smile*. Good ol' iPad. Hardly ever any problems with Android, the Samsung Galaxy S3 pretty much just works, but iOS, now that's another kettle of fish.

May set up an AP in my living room to add to the signal there, pretty easy to do, but didn't need it with previous SDK. Part of the problem is that at that range the signals from the rt-n66u drop pretty low...if they stayed at their peaks, that would be fine, but when 5GHz. drops, it drops out, although the average signal is not bad. The 2.4GHz. doesn't drop as low as the 5GHz., of course, but it does drop down quite a bit, then cycles back up. Seems much more variable than the previous SDK's, but that may just be because the average signals are lower so it's more noticeable when they do drop.

I updated my AC66U to the beta3 fw coming from the beta1 fw and I noticed that my asus AICloud (iOS) can no longer show the folders on the two attached USB drives. It can can connect to my router and show the drives that are connected, but when I click on a drive I get only a perpetual cog with a abort button.

My computer can access the files on my attached drives without any problems. It could be an iOS 7 issue, but I'm curious if anyone else had the same problem.

I have your same problem with AiCloud. I can access to the AiCloud interface but when I click on my attached USB drives I get an error. I get the error message from my pc and also from my android app.
With windows I can normally access to my files on attached drives.
With beta1 firmware all work fine.

AI clouds now broken for me, i did a factory reset after flashing then setup everything, I can login via the web or android app but then it throws a can't connect error when trying to click on either usb device, any ideas ?

Just to confirm, if I'm running the non-SDK6 version of 3.0.0.4.374.32 and I would upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.33 when it's released, I should do a factory reset / clear NVRAM before doing the upgrade due to the SDK5.1 driver?

When I did my upgrade to .32, I didn't see that the SDK6 version of it was in the experimental section of the download library for the FW, so I'm on the SDK5.1 version of .32.
Never did hear an answer about this question.

When I turn on parental control I get a link that says:

* Remind: Did not synchronize your system time with NTP server yet.

When I click the link it brings me to:

/Advanced_System_Content.asp?af=ntp_server0

Which has the NTP server flashing. I tried changing it to a different NTP address but they all do the same thing.

AC66u

Just to confirm, if I'm running the non-SDK6 version of 3.0.0.4.374.32 and I would upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.33 when it's released, I should do a factory reset / clear NVRAM before doing the upgrade due to the SDK5.1 driver?

When I did my upgrade to .32, I didn't see that the SDK6 version of it was in the experimental section of the download library for the FW, so I'm on the SDK5.1 version of .32.

Yes, if you're upgrading from firmware using SDK5.* to firmware using SDK6.*, you should do a factory reset/clear nvram after upgrading and manually re-enter your settings. I'd also suggest "forgetting" the networks on your clients, and re-connecting for best results *smile*.

When I turn on parental control I get a link that says:

* Remind: Did not synchronize your system time with NTP server yet.

When I click the link it brings me to:

/Advanced_System_Content.asp?af=ntp_server0

Which has the NTP server flashing. I tried changing it to a different NTP address but they all do the same thing.

AC66u

This is a new bug in Asus's 374 code. You can also notice it when you go to the WIreless Pro page and you diable or enable a wifi radio. The problem is that the router resets the svc_ready variable, but it never gets set again, so the webui thinks that NTP was never connected.

You can safely ignore that warning for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!