What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 6 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Same router as yours. When I do install Version 3.0.0.4.276, it works perfect.

So there's something wrong with the new firmware I guess?

It's working well on close distance, but when I go upstairs, the Wi-Fi signal is not as strong as it was before.

I did a factory reset before and after the upgrade.

See the numerous posts made about this. The new wireless driver has a shorter range, you must use the SDK5 build if you want to restore the old range, at the expense of some features such as XBox Optimisation mode and PPPoE HW acceleration.

Hi!

I'm using a RT-N66U and have tried several fw:s and can't get IPTV to work anymore ...

The following config worked with an old merlin-build, I think it was 3.0.0.4.354.29 (not at home for the moment):
Internet empty empty
lan3 845 4
lan4 855 5

I have tried the following fw:s without success (no connection on wan):
3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3
3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 6

I have done a reset via the reset button and factory default via config page

If I disable IPTV WAN is working fine, if I enable I get no connection via WAN

Have anyone got i to work?

I have tried the following fw:s without success (no connection on wan):
3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 3
3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 6

If this is also broken in Asus's release, then it will have to be fixed by them, as I have no way of testing VLAN/IPTV functionality unfortunately.

What exactly is the last Merlin release that had the longest wireless range for RT-AC66U?

What exactly is the last Merlin release that had the longest wireless range for RT-AC66U?
This one! See Thread Title.

But you have to use the SDK5 version!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

There has been no change in wireless range on the RT-AC66U. The change was strictly with the RT-N66U.

If this is also broken in Asus's release, then it will have to be fixed by them, as I have no way of testing VLAN/IPTV functionality unfortunately.

Is there anything I can do to debug it? I have some linux skills but have not been "inside" the RT-N66U that much ...

See the numerous posts made about this. The new wireless driver has a shorter range, you must use the SDK5 build if you want to restore the old range, at the expense of some features such as XBox Optimisation mode and PPPoE HW acceleration.

Thank you. I'll try this version.

Will Asus bring out a new version soon? And is there an (another) option to increase the wireless signal? (2.4GHz is running at 200 mW)

Will Asus bring out a new version soon? And is there an (another) option to increase the wireless signal? (2.4GHz is running at 200 mW)

Asus have been notified about it, but no idea if they will be able to improve things, or when that would happen.

Is there anything I can do to debug it? I have some linux skills but have not been "inside" the RT-N66U that much ...

I've never worked with VLANs, so no idea really.

You shouldn't bother running your router's wireless signal more than 100 mW. Most wireless adapters only transmit at 100 mW so even if the adapter can receive the signal from the router the router will not be able to receive the adapter's signal.
If you want to connect an external antenna to the router with a coax cable, then you will want to up the power to account for the loss over the cable.

Hi Guys,

Really pleased with this release RMerlin! Thank you for the hard work and the time you put in to this!

The only thing I have problems with is the range with the SDK6 version. I'm running beta 6 now. When I decide to install beta 6 with SDK5 to improve the wireless range, do I have to clear the nvram for that?

When I decide to install beta 6 with SDK5 to improve the wireless range, do I have to clear the nvram for that?

Yes, due to the changes between both drivers.

I am unsure if the following subject was covered elsewhere. I read through all 6 pages of this Merlin .33 beta 6 firmware thread and didn't find my answer. I was benchmarking my Asus RT-AC56U with Asus firmwares .37 and .134, and then Merlin's .33 beta 6 with USB 2.0 and 3.0 with respective rated HDDs using CrystalDiskMark3. Asus firmware .37 gave me the fastest USB HDD sequential write for USB 3.0 port. Updating to Asus firmware .134 and Merlin's .33 beta 6 resulted poor USB HDD write performance for USB 3.0 port. Write performance was better with Asus .37 firmware. I noticed that Merlin's stable .33 firmware has an indication "A few issues introduced by Asus with the 374 FW were fixed, such as the poor Samba performance on the N16/N66/AC66". However, AC56U wasn't included. The Samba write performance lost ~10 MBps to/from USB 3.0 hard drive (37 MBps vs 27 MBps). It is noted that USB 2.0 write performance isn't affected.

So my question is: Is there a fix to restore RT-AC56U's Samba performance?

I am unsure if the following subject was covered elsewhere. I read through all 6 pages of this Merlin .33 beta 6 firmware thread and didn't find my answer. I was benchmarking my Asus RT-AC56U with Asus firmwares .37 and .134, and then Merlin's .33 beta 6 with USB 2.0 and 3.0 with respective rated HDDs using CrystalDiskMark3. Asus firmware .37 gave me the fastest USB HDD sequential write for USB 3.0 port. Updating to Asus firmware .134 and Merlin's .33 beta 6 resulted poor USB HDD write performance for USB 3.0 port. Write performance was better with Asus .37 firmware. I noticed that Merlin's stable .33 firmware has an indication "A few issues introduced by Asus with the 374 FW were fixed, such as the poor Samba performance on the N16/N66/AC66". However, AC56U wasn't included. The Samba write performance lost ~10 MBps to/from USB 3.0 hard drive (37 MBps vs 27 MBps). It is noted that USB 2.0 write performance isn't affected.

So my question is: Is there a fix to restore RT-AC56U's Samba performance?

The Samba performance itself should be unchanged on the RT-AC56U, the issue was only with the Samba version used by the MIPS based routers.

Asus is still working in tweaking general stability of the RT-AC56U and RT-AC66U's USB 3.0 port, so it's possible that some fixes can result in lower throughput. Stability being more important than performance, I have no problem with this personally.

The Samba performance itself should be unchanged on the RT-AC56U, the issue was only with the Samba version used by the MIPS based routers.

Asus is still working in tweaking general stability of the RT-AC56U and RT-AC66U's USB 3.0 port, so it's possible that some fixes can result in lower throughput. Stability being more important than performance, I have no problem with this personally.

Unfortunately, I have witnessed that leaving the stock firmware .37 to higher available firmwares at the moment reduced the write speeds for USB 3.0, while increasing read speeds. I concur that stability is important. Well, I guess I'll just have to bug Asus why and if the write speed would increase again. Otherwise, it's a shame that I bought this router to take advantage of the USB 3.0 but the throughput is pathetic after a 10 MBps hit.

Otherwise, it's a shame that I bought this router to take advantage of the USB 3.0 but the throughput is pathetic after a 10 MBps hit.

Not sure what you were expecting out of a router with a 800 MHz CPU, but the RT-AC56U is still amongst the fastest routers when it comes to USB performance. For anything faster, the only real solution is an actual NAS, which will have a CPU that's about twice faster than this. A router's CPU is simply not powerful enough to move data from USB to a network at high speed, it will never get anywhere close to NAS performance.

Not sure what you were expecting out of a router with a 800 MHz CPU, but the RT-AC56U is still amongst the fastest routers when it comes to USB performance. For anything faster, the only real solution is an actual NAS, which will have a CPU that's about twice faster than this. A router's CPU is simply not powerful enough to move data from USB to a network at high speed, it will never get anywhere close to NAS performance.

I knew that I would probably see about 30 MBps write speed according to review(s) found on SmallNetBuilder's. But I'm dissappointed in the write drop speed from the firmware update. I'm not expecting to see 90 MBps, but to drop about 10 MBps is what I'm dissapointed with.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!