What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.34 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reported rates in 802.11n Greenfield Mode

Dear Merlin,

I am running a RT-N66U in 802.11n greenfield mode, i.e., I have selected wireless mode "N Only".

In the Wireless Log I noticed that some bg rates appear as supported:
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]

Is this expected behavior? I would not expect to see those rates listed.

I'm running Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.34_2

Thanks!

Greg

"N" is not a series of speeds but rather the ability of the wireless devices to bond channels at a given speed.

you can have a device connect at bn which could be 11mbps per channel but since you have bonded 2 channels it is in essence 22mbps.

N supports up to 108mbps (bonded 54mbps).

I manage the cisco wireless environment at my work & I have seen bonded B on several occasions. Not optimal but when you still have to support the slower speeds you just have to deal with it.

Hope that helps.

In the Wireless Log I noticed that some bg rates appear as supported:
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]

Is this expected behavior? I would not expect to see those rates listed.

No clue, this is the straight output from the wl tool, which is closed source.

Workgroup

Hi
I would like to start with to ty again mate RMerlin for ur work.

Router: RT-AC66U
Formware: 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 Merlin

My problem is this i suspect that the router doesnt set WORKGROUP as i have done under LAN -> DHCP-server -> Domain name...

Had no problem before...used Merlin_build for more then a year.
I updated today to latest firmware but it didnt solve the problem.
I ran .33 before.

Im running Samsung Allshare on PC to share videos/music etc to other units in the household. It worked before...so im stuck now.

When i look into log in router:
Nov 20 12:11:50 nmbd[328]: Samba name server RT-AC66U is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.X.Y
Nov 20 12:12:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[389]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.X.Z 00:26:18:a9:54:f8
Nov 20 12:12:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[389]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.X.Z 00:26:18:a9:54:f8 Homie

But i changed the workgroup to something else. It shouldnt stand WORKGROUP. I suspect thats why the samsung TV cant find the pc anymore because of different workgroups...

What happened? Why cant the router accept this...it doesnt matter...its always WORKGROUP

Regards
Dive

PS in the systemlog i can ralso read the following....dont know if its related.
Nov 20 12:42:00 smbd[903]: [2013/11/20 12:42:00, 0] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1265)
Nov 20 12:42:00 smbd[903]: reply_sesssetup_and_X: Rejecting attempt at SPNEGO session setup when it was not negoitiated.
DS

Last edited:
Hi
I would like to start with to ty again mate RMerlin for ur work.

Router: RT-AC66U
Formware: 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 Merlin

My problem is this i suspect that the router doesnt set WORKGROUP as i have done under LAN -> DHCP-server -> Domain name...

A domain name isn't the same thing as a workgroup. A domain name is what is appended to a hostname (i.e. home.lan is a domain name, which will give a fully qualified name of mycomputer.home.lan, for example).

The workgroup is used for Windows File Sharing. It can be configured under USB Applications -> Servers Center -> Miscellaneous Settings.

The 6230 issues occurred with the router driver version 5.110, which I haven't used in a long time (back in the 354.xx days I believe?). I would go with 374.34, which uses the newer 6.xxx driver. If you have range issues, switch to 374.34-sdk5, that uses the older 5.100 driver.

Both drivers should work fine with the 6230 (this is what I have myself, tho I haven't used the wifi on my N66U in a long time). You will need to do a factory default reset however whenever switching to a FW that uses a different driver, and also delete and recreate the wifi profile on your computer.

Ah, thanks! I just installed 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 and see no problems anymore with my 6230 on 5GHz: no missed packets during a ping and reaction is generally around 1ms. So I think there were indeed some problems with .33 in combination with the 6230!

Running 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 on my AC56U coming from strictly using stock firmwares. Have two questions:
1) My 5ghz temp = 50C and CPU temp = 68C-70C. Are these normal temps I can expect? I'm not running the 2.4ghz radio currently.

2) Does Merlin's firmware have an option to use boot scripts?

Thanks in advance.

Running 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 on my AC56U coming from strictly using stock firmwares. Have two questions:
1) My 5ghz temp = 50C and CPU temp = 68C-70C. Are these normal temps I can expect? I'm not running the 2.4ghz radio currently.

2) Does Merlin's firmware have an option to use boot scripts?

Thanks in advance.

1) This is normal
2) Yes, see the included README as well as the Wiki.

A domain name isn't the same thing as a workgroup. A domain name is what is appended to a hostname (i.e. home.lan is a domain name, which will give a fully qualified name of mycomputer.home.lan, for example).

The workgroup is used for Windows File Sharing. It can be configured under USB Applications -> Servers Center -> Miscellaneous Settings.

Ty Merlin
I resetted the router and filled in workgroup where it should be standing and all worked fine. Dont really know what was the problem. But everything is up and running again so im happy and i learned a thing or two aswell :D

Last edited:
Thanks Merlin. I use Asus RT-AC66U with 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 firmware.

Last week. I didn't connect my iPhone and iPad. It can connect Wi-Fi, but DHCP fail. I tried restart my RT-AC66U again and again. But not work properly.

Yesterday, I type command.

mtd-erase -d nvram
nvram commit
reboot

My RT-AC66U will work correctly. I'm not sure, what happen ?

Thanks so much, Merlin.

Hi all, new to the Forum, new to RT-N66U and also new to Merlin firmware.

My setup is to use the router in AP mode to extend my wireless coverage via a Homeplug mains distribution.

No problems at all in flashing the Merlin firmware (3.0.0.4.374.34) to replace the latest Asus firmware (thank you Merlin for the clear text file with the firmware), but when I examine what my computer picks up via Inssider Home there are no 5 Ghz Channels shown.
Two channels on 2.4 GHz are picked up by Inssider.

Great feature of the Merlin is that hovering over the 'Wireless' button shows me the Router is transmitting two channels on the 5 Ghz band but I cannot receive them.

My question is whether this is down to my computer chip (I believe there have been some issues with some chips) or is there another possible explanation?

Secondly, assuming the chip is my problem, will blocking the 5 Hz output from my router pending its eventual resolution benefit the 2.4 GHz output?

My question is whether this is down to my computer chip (I believe there have been some issues with some chips) or is there another possible explanation?

Secondly, assuming the chip is my problem, will blocking the 5 Hz output from my router pending its eventual resolution benefit the 2.4 GHz output?

You need to ensure that the wireless interface in your computer is dual band capable. Not every interface is (in fact, the majority of laptops sold are still only single-band).

Disabling the 5 GHz band on the router should have no effect at all on 2.4 GHz performance.

You need to ensure that the wireless interface in your computer is dual band capable. Not every interface is (in fact, the majority of laptops sold are still only single-band).

Disabling the 5 GHz band on the router should have no effect at all on 2.4 GHz performance.

Many thanks for the reply (and of course the firmware).

Yes it is a laptop.

I have checked my internal wireless processor and in fact it is Atheros AR9285 which is only 2.4 GHz capable.

Solution is to buy a Dual Band USB Adapter I suppose then connect that way?

Many thanks for the reply (and of course the firmware).

Yes it is a laptop.

I have checked my internal wireless processor and in fact it is Atheros AR9285 which is only 2.4 GHz capable.

Solution is to buy a Dual Band USB Adapter I suppose then connect that way?
buy a half height mini pcie card to replace the one in it ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!