What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.34 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is Mediafire having problems? Your download link is gone.

What a good suggestion.

I am surprised how cheaply these can be bought. In the UK got one on order, delivered for less than £7 sterling.

I would be careful. Cheap could mean fake or knock off card.

Also, it depends on the brand of laptop....some brands won't let you change the wifi card. Lenovo/ibm/and some HP are the main brands that have a bios whitelist and will give an error saying un- authorized card detected and will refuse to boot.

Im really missing a Merlin version for ac56 that includes the loop back fix

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I would be careful. Cheap could mean fake or knock off card.

Also, it depends on the brand of laptop....some brands won't let you change the wifi card. Lenovo/ibm/and some HP are the main brands that have a bios whitelist and will give an error saying un- authorized card detected and will refuse to boot.

Thanks for the warning.

My Laptop is a Fujitsu which hopefully will not reject the mini card.

Bought from Amazon UK claiming to be direct from Intel with good customer comments.

Maybe it will be OK?

Last edited:
Would someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong when I attempt to use Network Tools > Network Analysis.

None of the drop down menu options seem to want to connect.
I get a 'bad address' result consistently.

Firmware is working fine otherwise.

Thanks for the warning.

My Laptop is a Fujitsu which hopefully will not reject the mini card.

Bought from Amazon UK claiming to be direct from Intel with good customer comments.

Maybe it will be OK?

I checked Amazon UK...all the dual band cards i saw were by 3rd party sellers...never seen Intel as a direct seller...on US or UK site.

Last edited:
picture does match the description of a full size not half height card so you really need to check the size of the one in your laptop.

picture does match the description of a full size not half height card so you really need to check the size of the one in your laptop.

Good point.

I will do exactly that.
Seems that the people who commented on their purchase were satisfied, all of whom had laptops but I suppose I should have checked prior to purchase.

Hopefully my laptop matches my purchase for size as well as capability. I must admit to feeling a little out of my depth regarding technology.

Luckily any mistakes I am currently making are not exactly going to break the Bank so I am grateful for all constructive criticism concerning my needs.

Media Bridge Mode, no more wireless network =(

After 3.0.0.4.374.32 the Media Bridge Mode was no more wireless connectivity. I know the concept of media bridge was no wireless connection, but was working on previous release I connect RT-AC66U with 2.4Ghz to AP1 and use RT-AC66U 5GHz to share HD videos, any chance to work again on new releases? :confused:

Last edited:
After 3.0.0.4.374.32 the Media Bridge Mode was no more wireless connectivity. I know the concept of media bridge was no wireless connection, but was working on previous release I connect RT-AC66U with 2.4Ghz to AP1 and use RT-AC66U 5GHz to share HD videos, any chance to work again on new releases? :confused:

I don't touch the media bridge code as I don't fully understand it, and parts of it are in the closed source driver. From what I can see, Asus is starting to phase out the Media Bridge, steering users toward Repeater Mode instead.

A few months ago they told me that a new SDK version might improve Media Bridge reliability, but I don't know if it's still in the plan, or if they are fully phasing it out in favour of Repeater mode.

Would someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong when I attempt to use Network Tools > Network Analysis.

None of the drop down menu options seem to want to connect.
I get a 'bad address' result consistently.

Firmware is working fine otherwise.

I can't reproduce the issue here, using Google Chrome. Try clearing your browser cache or with a different browser.

You are correct of course, I saw Intel and assumed......

Here is the card I ordered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005254YTG/?tag=smallncom-21

The card was actually ordered here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KVH0CG/?tag=smallncom-21

but it shows incorrect picture of it.

Your expert evaluation would be appreciated.

Hopefully..its just the pic that is wrong...otherwise..you're getting a power cord.

Also..that is an OLD card. That only support 5ghz at 54g speeds.

Anyway....yea...that is the longer card...old laptops use those....most newer models use half height cards....u would need to open up your laptop rear panel and see what size it uses(if it is even accessible)

I would say get a newer one...but again...they are the smaller size cards,....http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00864Q45W/?tag=smallncom-21

Last edited:
Hopefully..its just the pic that is wrong...otherwise..you're getting a power cord.

Also..that is an OLD card. That only support 5ghz at 54g speeds.

Anyway....yea...that is the longer card...old laptops use those....most newer models use half height cards....u would need to open up your laptop rear panel and see what size it uses(if it is even accessible)

I would say get a newer one...but again...they are the smaller size cards,....http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00864Q45W/?tag=smallncom-21

Thanks again for reply, my computer knowledge leaves a lot to be desired I'm sorry to say as the following question will prove:

Not sure if my Fujitsu with W7 Ultimate is 32 or 64 bit, will it matter for the card you recommend assuming it is the smaller half height version?

Update: It is in fact 64 bit. Also re reading the product description I notice an apostrophe after the '64 bit' rather than before it so it now reads as to support both 32 and 64 bit W7 OS.

I will check the cards size today (by opening the laptop) but don't want to potentially order the wrong one again.
Further edit. Definitely half height (as you suspected).

Order time, thanks for guiding my errant choices.

Last edited:
I can't reproduce the issue here, using Google Chrome. Try clearing your browser cache or with a different browser.

Thanks for reply.

Tried with chrome (I normally use Firefox).

Same problem. All options under both dropdown choices give 'Bad Address' when 'Diagnose' button pressed.
Am I using it correctly?

I appear to only have the problem using 'Network Analysis' tab.
'Netstat' seems to be working normally.

Edit,
I should add that I am using the router in its AP mode and connection to my modem/ router is made via Homeplug circuit, don't know if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.

Tried with chrome (I normally use Firefox).

Same problem. All options under both dropdown choices give 'Bad Address' when 'Diagnose' button pressed.
Am I using it correctly?

I appear to only have the problem using 'Network Analysis' tab.
'Netstat' seems to be working normally.

Edit,
I should add that I am using the router in its AP mode and connection to my modem/ router is made via Homeplug circuit, don't know if it makes a difference.

That might be why. I bet the router is trying to use the local dnsmasq instance to resolve the test hostname, and is failing because dnsmasq isn't used while in AP mode.

You can confirm this theory by replacing the test address with an IP, for example 8.8.8.8.

That might be why. I bet the router is trying to use the local dnsmasq instance to resolve the test hostname, and is failing because dnsmasq isn't used while in AP mode.

You can confirm this theory by replacing the test address with an IP, for example 8.8.8.8.

Thanks for reply.

Result as follows:

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

This custom fw does not work with the RT-N56U router?

What's my best option to get a good WiFi Media Center and BitTorrent support to download directly to the attached USB hard drive using SmartFeeds?

Thanks!

This custom fw does not work with the RT-N56U router?

What's my best option to get a good WiFi Media Center and BitTorrent support to download directly to the attached USB hard drive using SmartFeeds?

Thanks!

Only "custom" firmware available for the N56U is Padavan firmware. There are a few builds based on what features you want to have....

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!