What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.34 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since you are going from SDK6 to SDK5 you need to clear your NVRAM reboot then reconfigure from scratch.

Thanks for your help, i tried 30/30/30 also ran "mtd-erase -d nvram", which said successful and I'm actually getting worse speeds now.

I have no idea what to do, should i use non SDK5? I want the best of both worlds lol.

Edit: Tried 34_2 and wired speed was fine @ 80-100mbps, wireless signal was completely shirt, cleared NVRAM went back to 34_2 SDK5 wired is bad 15-20mbps and wireless is great. RMerlin, do you have any advice?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, i tried 30/30/30 also ran "mtd-erase -d nvram", which said successful and I'm actually getting worse speeds now.

I have no idea what to do, should i use non SDK5? I want the best of both worlds lol.

Edit: Tried 34_2 and wired speed was fine @ 80-100mbps, wireless signal was completely shirt, cleared NVRAM went back to 34_2 SDK5 wired is bad 15-20mbps and wireless is great. RMerlin, do you have any advice?

Are you clearing the NVRAM before or after the firmare update? Might be better if you cleared the NVRAM "after" the firmware update. Then powercycle, then reconfigure the router manually from scratch.

Merlin,

Thanks for doing this.

After playing around with the save config settings, I discovered that the URL is pointing to http://192.168.1.1/Settings_<router model>.CFG and you get the reset page (which is a 404). Changing the page to http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG works. I actually have an "R" model so was being directed to a bad page. I'm sure there's a few ways to fix that.

Merlin,

Thanks for doing this.

After playing around with the save config settings, I discovered that the URL is pointing to http://192.168.1.1/Settings_<router model>.CFG and you get the reset page (which is a 404). Changing the page to http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG works. I actually have an "R" model so was being directed to a bad page. I'm sure there's a few ways to fix that.

Asus actually changed the way they push the config file in recent version. Current development version here no longer uses a symlink, the final filename is directly pushed by the web server to the web browser.

Are you clearing the NVRAM before or after the firmare update? Might be better if you cleared the NVRAM "after" the firmware update. Then powercycle, then reconfigure the router manually from scratch.

Tried before, and after. After obviously clears everything and forces you to start from scratch, since I'm hard wired in i don't really need to set anything up and my speeds are still terrible. Wireless is faster than wired.

SDK5 has solved my wireless issues, but introduced a degrade of wired speed.

Jlake suggested to turn off/on the router after clearing the NVRAM, did you do that?

I did, however I'll give it another go.

- mtd-erase -d nvram
- Let it reboot.
- Unplug for 1 minute then plug it back in.

I'll do that exactly and let you know what happens.

looking for help or advice. Any ideas?

I was running .260 version of the firmware then upgraded to .374____ from Asus, and now .374.34_2 Merlin. Router is RT-N16. After the upgrade I lost the ability to connect to my Synology NAS DS-212J. The Synology Assistant tool finds the NAS and when I try to connect I get to the warning screen telling me the SSL certificate is not valid. I click the 'go ahead anyway' button and that's when it get stuck. Can't access through the web interface and can't map the drives. The NAS uses DHCP. I either assign a static IP address from the router or a DHCP assigned and still the same problem. Router is at 192.168.5.1, NAS is either .5.5 static (like before) or DHCP.

Synology had me direct connect from PC to NAS and it worked fine. But if I try to connec t through the router no luck. I've tried different browsers and flushed cookies and caches, rebooted all of the equipment in question. No luck.

Last thing I tried was disabling SSL & https on the NAS. I no longer get the warning screen, but still timeout on the access to the webman interface.

This seems to be one of those problems so trivial that it should just work. I'm stumped. Any advice?

PS - By the way Merlin, Great Job!! Clearly an improvement over the ASUS firmware. I also like your priorities.

looking for help or advice. Any ideas?

Jlake suggested to turn off/on the router after clearing the NVRAM, did you do that?

I tried what Jlake suggested once the nvram was successfully erased i power cycled the router and I'm still only get 35mbps/2.3mbps (the up speed is normal).

Sorry for the newbness, I'm new to ASUS router products, i appreciate both your help and I have searched and searched and can't seem to find any related topics.

Hi RMerlin. I have just updated my internet connection to Gigabit (1000Mbps). I am still using the Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.34 but i am not able to get more than 130Mbps using my RT-AC66U. Without it i can get arround 700Mbps.

Can you please tell me how to fix this? Do i need to downgrade or try another firmware version?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have QoS or URL Filter enabled? Those features turn off hardware acceleration. Make sure that it is working properly at the Tools tab.

Can't Copy/Paste Router Password

Hello,

First, to RMerlin: Please accept my thanks for your excellent work.

I'm sorry to post such a dumb question, but since I updated my RT-N66U firmware to your latest (3.0.0.4_374.34_2), I cannot change the router password using Copy/Paste. It only works for the user Name.

The update was from ASUS F/W 3.0.0.4.276. I had reset the device to factory defaults and re-entered all the settings manually.

Any solution other than typing in the password?

TIA

Should i have "Enable DoS Protection" checked? I guess you can never be safe however could that be causing my wired slow down? i would assume that also should cause my wireless to be slow, in this case it isn't; I'm out of ideas.

Other than the wired issues, 34_2sdk5 is awesome, thanks Merlin :D

Should i have "Enable DoS Protection" checked? I guess you can never be safe however could that be causing my wired slow down? i would assume that also should cause my wireless to be slow, in this case it isn't; I'm out of ideas.

DoS protection will throttle the rate at which your router will answer to certain ICMP packets. Personally I find it of limited usefulness, because a typical modern DDoS will take you down no matter what DoS protection you have in place. If someone points 10 Gbits of traffic at your 7 Mbits DSL, there is little you can do about it.

Hello,

First, to RMerlin: Please accept my thanks for your excellent work.

I'm sorry to post such a dumb question, but since I updated my RT-N66U firmware to your latest (3.0.0.4_374.34_2), I cannot change the router password using Copy/Paste. It only works for the user Name.

The update was from ASUS F/W 3.0.0.4.276. I had reset the device to factory defaults and re-entered all the settings manually.

Any solution other than typing in the password?

TIA

Some web browsers will reject the Ctrl key as it incorrectly interprets it as a character. A common workaround is to use Shift-Ins instead, or to switch to a web browser that's not as quirky.

DoS protection will throttle the rate at which your router will answer to certain ICMP packets. Personally I find it of limited usefulness, because a typical modern DDoS will take you down no matter what DoS protection you have in place. If someone points 10 Gbits of traffic at your 7 Mbits DSL, there is little you can do about it.

Fair point, I will try disabling it!

Will you continue SDK5 development for future firmwares for the N66U?

Cheers.

disabling DoS protection didn't help, if anything it made it even slower 15mbps/2.3mbps.

Is there some sort of cap on the wan port or something?

Will you continue SDK5 development for future firmwares for the N66U?

Hard to tell for sure, it always depends on whether the old driver continues to work with newer GPL release by Asus.

Centrino Advanced-N 6230 troubles

Hi, I'm now running 374.33 Merlin on my N66U together with my dell XPS 17 with Intel Centrino-N 6230. I'm posting this in the .34 thread because I want to know if there are others with problems with this router-firmware-adapter combination?

I see I have some packets drops on 2.4GHz, but huge packet drops on 5GHz and pings times of > 80 ms.

Just to check, I connected a TP-Link TL-WN722N with my laptop to the N66U running the 374.33 Merlin and it worked flawlessly.

I would like to check out different firmware but do not know where to begin? Try .34 instead of .33, an older one, the vanilly asus one?

Hi, I'm now running 374.33 Merlin on my N66U together with my dell XPS 17 with Intel Centrino-N 6230. I'm posting this in the .34 thread because I want to know if there are others with problems with this router-firmware-adapter combination?

I see I have some packets drops on 2.4GHz, but huge packet drops on 5GHz and pings times of > 80 ms.

Just to check, I connected a TP-Link TL-WN722N with my laptop to the N66U running the 374.33 Merlin and it worked flawlessly.

I would like to check out different firmware but do not know where to begin? Try .34 instead of .33, an older one, the vanilly asus one?

The 6230 issues occurred with the router driver version 5.110, which I haven't used in a long time (back in the 354.xx days I believe?). I would go with 374.34, which uses the newer 6.xxx driver. If you have range issues, switch to 374.34-sdk5, that uses the older 5.100 driver.

Both drivers should work fine with the 6230 (this is what I have myself, tho I haven't used the wifi on my N66U in a long time). You will need to do a factory default reset however whenever switching to a FW that uses a different driver, and also delete and recreate the wifi profile on your computer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!