What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus puts a copy of syslog there so it can survive reboots. And since the flash used in those routers can handle up to 100,000 program/erase cycles, it's not an issue.
Dear Rmerlin, you contradict yourselves, here, your quote from a manual.

"I do not recommend doing frequent writes to this area, as it will
prematuraly wear out the flash storage. This is a good place to
put files that are written once like scripts or kernel modules, or
that rarely get written to (like once a day). Storing files that
constantly get written to (like logfiles) is NOT recommended - use a USB disk for that.

At me errors of flash memory in the log, after section/jffs use went.
The log is written every minute, thus it will kill a flash?
100000 cycles / 100000 minutes or ~ 70 days will suffice flash memory, at every minute record of the log in / to jffs

JEWBSV,

He is not contradicting himself, you are understanding the information incorrectly.

The 100,000 cycles the flash has is for each cell. The logs do not write to every cell - just a small portion of them each day. And as mentioned, they are only written very sporadically (for backup). Not continuously.

I´m very new in this router things, but the very first thing I´ve learned is: only buy a router that is capable of merlin´s firmware :)
Thank you for your great work!
First of all I have to describe my setup:

AC56U
4 Port USB 3.0 hub on the USB 3.0 port of the Asus Router
3 HDD with together 6TB and plenty of media files
1 HDD with 250GB on the USB 2.0 port of the Asus Router

My problem: it takes very long time, when one HDD is un- and repluged for the media server to scan all the media again.
Ok, I tried to understand what I found here to the fastscan fork in minidlna (https://code.google.com/p/minidlna-fastscan/), but after all I have to say that I´m probably to stupid and/or under-qualified for that task...as I read, I would need special everythings to to that task, which I do not have...I think...^^ :confused:

SO, is there maybe a way for you to put this fork into your firmware in the future? :eek:

Note that USB hubs are not fully supported by 374.38, it will only be in 374.39.

Dear Rmerlin, you contradict yourselves, here, your quote from a manual.

The README was written over a year ago. The verification for the number of write cycles supported by the flash was done 48 hours ago.

Things change over time as new information comes.

At me errors of flash memory in the log, after section/jffs use went.
The log is written every minute, thus it will kill a flash?
100000 cycles / 100000 minutes or ~ 70 days will suffice flash memory, at every minute record of the log in / to jffs

JFFS2 does write leveling. So if you write 1 MB per day, it will take 32 days to write over all the flash. 32 days * 100,000 cycles = plenty.

Note that this is also the reason why jffs logging isn't enabled on the routers with less JFFS2 space.

Twice now I have found my RT-N66U with 38_2 to develop very low LAN/WAN performance among all devices (WiFi & Eth) within a few hours period. A reboot fixes everything but I haven't been able to pin-point any possible cause. Does anyone has this problem?

FYI I don't have servers enabled but I do have Wireless MAC filtering and DHCP manual assignment on.

I posted this in the wrong thread so i am reposting it here.

Still keep losing ipv6 address and I have to reboot the router to get it to reassign another one. I have decided to just disable v6 for now in anticipation that the next Merlin release will fix this most annoying issue. Merlin any idea when you will have another firmware release and will you be able to implement a fix for this issue ? Thanks Jim !!

RT-N66U (3.0.0.4_374_38_2em)

Note that USB hubs are not fully supported by 374.38, it will only be in 374.39.

Yes, I know, but I gave it a try and it works quite good.
I think it also depends on the hub, maybe.

But there is no difference in the need of time for scanning. I tried also the 3TB HDD without the hub - same scanning time than with hub.

Still keep losing ipv6 address and I have to reboot the router to get it to reassign another one. I have decided to just disable v6 for now in anticipation that the next Merlin release will fix this most annoying issue. Merlin any idea when you will have another firmware release and will you be able to implement a fix for this issue ? Thanks Jim !!

Jim, did you see this post?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101808&postcount=608

There were a bunch of posts about missing IPv6 stuff for Comcast that I saw yesterday, don't know if you saw them?

Jim, did you see this post?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101808&postcount=608

There were a bunch of posts about missing IPv6 stuff for Comcast that I saw yesterday, don't know if you saw them?

I did not see that post. Is the issue that the router loses it v6 lease and fails to ask for another one ? Also is adding that script a fix ? I dont have as much experience with routers as some of you i really dont know how to add script never had to do that before if that is indeed the fix.

I'm not sure what all it will fix. It remedies at least some IPv6 problems.

Given that it has an "nvram commit" for the nvram variable that's being set, which makes it work over reboots, I'd say that you could run those commands and might never need to run them again if you don't change your firmware and they get put into the next RMerlin firmware version. Since it's about the IPv6 service seeing the value of a variable that you've commited to nvram, then, like I say, I'd try running the commands (you should be able to do it from the command line in the web interface *smile*), and see if that solves your IPv6 problem. If not, then you can just disable IPv6 again.

Just keep track of the commands in case you put different firmware on your router, and then come back to this firmware version. Then you can re-run them.

Does anyone else have false results with the traffic manager in the GLOBAL-> Last 24 hours, Daily and Monthly?

Under the Internet tab it's telling me I have downloaded 350 gig in the last 8 hours.

Where is under the PER DEVICE-> Daily, it adds up to 22 gig which is the correct reading.

Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.38_1
68u

Was there any solution to this, it shows download of 262GB in the last 24h
But the actual is closer to 1GB...

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 462

The fix will have to come from Asus. I have no way of debugging or testing native IPv6 issues.

Most likely we won't see a fix from Asus for a few weeks, since it's currently the Chinese New Year celebrations in Taiwan.

Was there any solution to this, it shows download of 262GB in the last 24h
But the actual is closer to 1GB...

No, and so far I have been unable to reproduce this issue, so most likely a fix will have to come from Asus.

Thanks Roger i tried to just copy and paste the whole command in the routers cmd page after i hit refresh the wheel spun for about 1/2 a second and nothing showed below to confirm it was accepted. Am i doing something wrong do i need to type the commands separately?

I can send you my saved current settings if you want, just let it run for a day.

That won't help. Most likely this is environment specific. It might depend on the wan type, for example.

Is there anything in your log when this happens?

Last edited:
I just uploaded 3.0.0.4.374_38_2-em from 3.0.0.4.327_31 sdk5 with reset to defaults and new SSID names. I didn't have time to evaluate the change in performance. However, it looks like I have gained about 10-15 db in 2.4 band and about 5-8 db in 5.0 band. This is from a room about 25 ft and 2 walls from the router. Wireless signal seems much more stable on both bands and performance seems very good (just casual observation).

rt-n66r

1/31 - ETA wireless still solid performance and stable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what all it will fix. It remedies at least some IPv6 problems.

Given that it has an "nvram commit" for the nvram variable that's being set, which makes it work over reboots

As I said in my post before that, it actually gets (re)set each time the router starts, by rdnssd. So it won't stick across reboots.

Just so people know...I have not had any issue with IPv6 on any version of the stock or Merlin firmware.

You can have issues if IPv6 is not setup correctly for your ISP or if your modem does not fully support IPv6.

RT-N66U and ISP is Comcast.