What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As I said in my post before that, it actually gets (re)set each time the router starts, by rdnssd. So it won't stick across reboots.

Ah, okay, reinitialized for each reboot, tricky. I'm sorry, I missed that in your post.

So do you know when rdnssd runs? I'm wondering if there's an user script that runs after it initializes that variable that these commands could be put in? Or does it run after all the startup user scripts have run, and we have to run these commands manually after rebooting until Asus provides a permanent fix? I don't have the sources to look at myself, obviously *smile*.

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks Roger i tried to just copy and paste the whole command in the routers cmd page after i hit refresh the wheel spun for about 1/2 a second and nothing showed below to confirm it was accepted. Am i doing something wrong do i need to type the commands separately?

Okay, I'm not sure how the command window would work if you pasted in multiple lines, I haven't done that. I think that I would try putting them all on one line separated by ";"'s (semicolons). Or enter them a command at a time. And see if this series of commands solves your IPv6 problem. I'm off using my R7000 at the moment, testing an intermediate firmware release, not using the RT-N66U, so I can't test this. I'll get back to the RT-N66U at some point, though.

Note that you can execute this command to verify that the variable was set:

nvram get ipv6_ra_conf

The "nvram get" command displays the value of the variable, and you're looking for the value to be "mset" if your commands worked. Of course, this doesn't verify that IPv6 service was restarted...

Given the information from saintdev that the variable is reinitialized to the wrong value for every reboot, sounds like one would have to do this every time one rebooted the router. But I would also expect a fix to come from RMerlin and/or Asus next time around. Sorry about misleading you, as I said, I don't have the firmware sources to refer to, unfortunately. And I'm apparently reading challenged *smile*.

Just so people know...I have not had any issue with IPv6 on any version of the stock or Merlin firmware.

You can have issues if IPv6 is not setup correctly for your ISP or if your modem does not fully support IPv6.

RT-N66U and ISP is Comcast.

That's not true there is a v6 problem with this firmware that has been confirmed. Mine is set up correctly it works fine on every other firmware except the new 38_em. If your not having a issue give it a few days when your v6 lease expires your router will not ask for a new one unless you reboot. At least that seems to be what's going on. I have had v6 for well over a year and I know how to set it up.

Last edited:
That's not true there is a v6 problem with this firmware that has been confirmed. Mine is set up correctly it works fine on every other firmware except the new 38_em. If your not having a issue give it a few days when your v6 lease expires your router will not ask for a new one unless you reboot. At least that seems to be what's going on. I have had v6 for well over a year and I know how to set it up.

Just out of curiosity, what settings do you have to change on a asus router to get it to work for comcast ipv6 (in the past).

Just out of curiosity, what settings do you have to change on a asus router to get it to work for comcast ipv6 (in the past).

Comcast IPv6 uses DHCP-PD. You just select that, "Apply", reboot, and hope for the best *smile*. There really isn't anything special that you can do, just hope that IPv6 starts up when you do the "Apply" and reboot. The settings really haven't changed much, they have a little, but basically the same stuff is still there. It is very much plug and play, nothing tricky. The firmware either works or it doesn't.

When I connect my computer directly to the modem and restart the computer, IPv6 always comes up on the computer every time. When I connect to the router and do the same thing, it comes up depending on the router firmware version.

Last edited:
not sure if its been asked elsewhere, but the 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 build is missing in the AC66U folder for official downloads. Is it not the latest build for the AC66U?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

not sure if its been asked elsewhere, but the 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 build is missing in the AC66U folder for official downloads. Is it not the latest build for the AC66U?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Look again, it's definitely there.

Attachments

• ac66-downlink.jpg
    ac66-downlink.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 845
Wonder when Asus will fix it ? IPv6 Thank goodness Merlin fixed there parental controls other wise it will still be broke from .270 good job Merlin

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how I can unhide/show the default menu options in the GUI after setting the router to Media Bridge mode? once in that mode majority of the other settings are all hidden.

Does anyone know how I can unhide/show the default menu options in the GUI after setting the router to Media Bridge mode? once in that mode majority of the other settings are all hidden.

The only way is to temporarily revert back to Router mode. Asus probably did this to keep things simple, as otherwise it would make the whole webui code a huge mess if they had to specifically display/hide every single option individually based on the operational mode. So for those pages where most options might not apply, they just hide the whole page.

Not all those settings will be applied when you go back into Media Bridge mode, but some of them do.

RT-N66U cannot be overclocked.

Hello RMerlin & Team...

I have an interesting question for everyone:

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to purchase a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router or the ASUS RT-AC68U Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router.

Since I already have a pretty decent Router/Firewall (SonicWALL TZ 210), I was going to disable the WiFi Radio and invest in a kick-butt AC Access Point.

I was very close into buying the following:

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/business-...e-access-point

Then, after getting some suggestions and advice in a different post, I decided to just get a killer Router and turn that into a Access Point-only device.

I may as well, especially because I will always have the option to use it as a Router.

That said, I know that DD-WRT is available as an alternate Firmware for the Netgear and Merlin is available for the Asus.

Since I'm only going to be using the device as an Access Point-only device and since I'm leaning towards Asus...are there any significant gains that the Merlin custom firmware offers the Asus over the standard firmware, when it comes to using this as an Access Point-only device?

For example, is there any significant boost to Power or WiFi throughput?

Thank you all so much for your help in advance!!!!!!

:cool:

Since I'm only going to be using the device as an Access Point-only device and since I'm leaning towards Asus...are there any significant gains that the Merlin custom firmware offers the Asus over the standard firmware, when it comes to using this as an Access Point-only device?

For example, is there any significant boost to Power or WiFi throughput?

Thank you all so much for your help in advance!!!!!!

Wifi performance on the RT-AC68U would be identical when comparing Asuswrt with Asuswrt-Merlin. I suspect you might get lower performance with DD-WRT since it doesn't use a driver that was specifically optimized by the manufacturer, but I haven't seen any benchmark confirming or denying this theory.

Feature-wise, my firmware will have a few benefits over the stock FW: more detailed info about connected clients, the ability to customize the router environment a bit more through custom scripts, etc... Personally I see no reason not to switch to my FW in an AP situation, since you won't lose anything over the stock firmware.

Wifi performance on the RT-AC68U would be identical when comparing Asuswrt with Asuswrt-Merlin. ......

I disagree. Asuswrt-Merlin has much better wifi performance. To say the least, wifi is more stable, no performance degradation and my mac pro now connects over 5Ghz band which was never successful using stock firmware. This is just me reporting what I've gained from Asuswrt-Merlin. Coding might be identical but something must be done right with your firmware RMERLIN.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 4

I disagree. Asuswrt-Merlin has much better wifi performance. To say the least, wifi is more stable, no performance degradation and my mac pro now connects over 5Ghz band which was never successful using stock firmware. This is just me reporting what I've gained from Asuswrt-Merlin.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 4

It's actually depend on the scenario. For the RT-AC68U, I use the same driver as Asus's 374.542, that's why I would expect performance to be identical. You might however benefit from being able to control 802.11a+h support, something that Macs seem to appreciate.

And for the RT-N66U, performance would definitely be better with my firmware thanks to the special driver provided by Asus.

This is great info guys!!! Is there the ability to create multiple SSIDs or VLANs? Will AP-only mode pass-through the IP scheme issued from my Router?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Really does not matter now that .39 is out but I have been running 38_2em for some time without any IPv6 issues.

From what I read people that changed username from admin or used custom IPv6 dns servers where mostly the ones having issues.

Like I said before, I have not had an issue with any of the firmwares and IPv6.

Now time to upgrade to 39em. :)

Attachments

• em.jpg
    em.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 787