What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In plus of the fact they (ASUS) finally got it right; that after importing this new Certificate (in Authorities) into Mozilla (Waterfox for me), there is no need anymore to add as Exception (in Servers):

Screenshot 2024-01-21 161752.png
Screenshot 2024-01-21 161959.png
Screenshot 2024-01-21 162237.png

I also like the new look of the Network Map - Status page stating each port designed speed:

New.png

Last edited:
Why do I need to when I've already sorted it?

Just posting my experience with the update process.
Posting a documented known "issue" just adds to thread clutter, and possibly causes confusion.

Upgraded my GT-AX6000 all god. vpn and wireguard working from WAN.
EDIT: ssd disk not mounting...... have to do'it manuellt.

Thanks for new software.

Last edited:
1000109896.jpg

160Mhz is performing well, first 18h.
VPN tested (Instant Guard), Cameras are operational remotelly.

Everything is performing perfect so far.
Thanks!

Dirty upgrade from 388.5 to 388.6 and so far so good. Logs look good, no latency, everything fired right up! In my experience, the latest builds seem to handle old configs better than they used to, but maybe just my perception.

Thanks @RMerlin as always, you rock sir!

Upgraded my backup router, AX58, from 388.5 --> 388.6, no issues so far. Dirty upgrade, no manual tweaks on anything.
Smooth upgrade, DDNS registered (using asuscomm.com).

Waiting for a few days before switching my main router.

I'm using an AX58U and after the upgrade DDNS stopped working. Unfortunately the solutions in this forum didn't work for me (turning DDNS Off-On and modifying the SSL Certificate mode on the WebUI.)

Result is always the same:
DDNS Registration ResultUnable to connect to the Internet

Code:
inadyn[25688]: In-a-dyn version 2.10.0 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
inadyn[25688]: Guessing DDNS plugin 'default@duckdns.org' from 'duckdns.org'
inadyn[25688]: Resolving hostname [redacted].duckdns.org => IP# [redacted]
inadyn[25688]: Get address for default@duckdns.org
inadyn[25688]: Checking for IP# change, connecting to wtfismyip.com([65.108.75.112]:443)
inadyn[25688]: Checking for IP# change, initiating HTTPS ...
inadyn[25688]: Certificate verification error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate:depth=2:/C=US/O=Google Trust Services LLC/CN=GTS Root R1
inadyn[25688]: OpenSSL error: 3069966896:error:1416F086:lib(20):func(367):reason(134):NA:0:
inadyn[25688]: Communication with checkip server wtfismyip.com failed, run again with 'inadyn -l debug' if problem persists
inadyn[25688]: Retrying with built-in 'default', api.ipify.org ...
inadyn[25688]: Checking for IP# change, connecting to api.ipify.org([64.185.227.156]:443)
inadyn[25688]: Checking for IP# change, initiating HTTPS ...
inadyn[25688]: Certificate verification error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain:depth=3:/C=GB/ST=Greater Manchester/L=Salford/O=Comodo CA Limited/CN=AAA Certificate Services
inadyn[25688]: OpenSSL error: 3069966896:error:1416F086:lib(20):func(367):reason(134):NA:0:
inadyn[25688]: Failed to get IP address for default@duckdns.org, giving up!
inadyn[25688]: Update forced for alias [redacted].duckdns.org, new IP# [redacted]
inadyn[25688]: Sending IP# update to DDNS server, connecting to www.duckdns.org([3.97.82.174]:443)
inadyn[25688]: Sending IP# update to DDNS server, initiating HTTPS ...
inadyn[25688]: Certificate verification error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate:depth=3:/C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=Starfield Technologies, Inc./CN=Starfield Services Root Certificate Authority - G2
inadyn[25688]: Will retry again, rc=33
inadyn[25688]: Error code 33: Failed connecting to DDNS server (HTTPS)

If using
Code:
ssl = false
in the inadyn.conf file it is working fine.

FYI @RMerlin

With using
Code:
ca-trust-file = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
in the inadyn.conf file DDNS works with SSL. It seems the new FW is trying to search for the certs at a different location (which is also mentioned here somewhere).

Any ideas where is that new path and how can I fix this issue? I'm not sure whether my workaround is fine or not in long term.

Thanks!

Thanks RMerlin for the release! First post here, but I have been following the project when I bought the RT-AX88U Pro when it came out.

I have an issue related to the note around SSL certificates. I'm not using DDNS, but I am only allowing HTTPS for the WebUI. New firmware seems to be working fine, but I can no longer connect to the WebUI due the server refusing to connect.

I'm assuming I have to factory reset to sort the SSL certificate on the router, but wondering if anyone knows of a workaround before I go that route?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a GT-AX11000 running 3004.388.4_0_rog. I accidentally flashed the ROG version last time, having previously used the standard Merlin versions. Can I do a dirty flash to 3004.388.6, non ROG firmware?

RT-AX88U don't work with the new asus merlin 3004.388.6 firmware.
Simply the router becomes completely locked and inaccessible with a new firmware. It is necessary to use a program and procedure to return to the previous asus merlin 3004.388.5 firmware.
(Tested on two routers RT-AX88U)

I have a GT-AX11000 running 3004.388.4_0_rog. I accidentally flashed the ROG version last time, having previously used the standard Merlin versions. Can I do a dirty flash to 3004.388.6, non ROG firmware?
Yes, I've done it multiple times.

Simply the router becomes completely locked and inaccessible with a new firmware. It is necessary to use a program and procedure to return to the previous firmware.
And yet my router is fine.
Try factory reset, update, factory reset.

Simply the router becomes completely locked and inaccessible with a new firmware. It is necessary to use a program and procedure to return to the previous asus merlin 3004.388.5 firmware.
I have remotely updated (2) RT-AX88U primary routers plus one (1) RT-AX88U AiMesh node (three different sites) with zero issues — everything working as expected.

And yet my router is fine.
Try factory reset, update, factory reset.
I did that, but it didn't solve it. Simply when the update is finished, the router asks to restart manually and after that it freezes completely.

Simply the router becomes completely locked

@fka reported issues with RT-AX88U on page 2. Resolved by factory reset and re-configuration.

Perhaps your solution too. What h/w version is your RT-AX88U router? Perhaps h/w version related.

Upgraded to 3004.388.6.

How do I import the cert_key.tar file that I've exported from the UI ?

I'm using Chrome.

Upgraded to 3004.388.6.

How do I import the cert_key.tar file that I've exported from the UI ?

I'm using Chrome.
If you are talking about or using the SSL cert generated by the DDNS, see the initial post of the thread, or the change log notes.

- NOTE: Asus reworked the way SSL certificates are handled in
24353. The automatic conversion code does not always
work properly, you might need to force your router
to re-generate its SSL certificates by toggling the
SSL mode on the DDNS page.

Edit: I see you edited your post.
HTTPS Connection and Certificate on ASUS Router
You will likely have to extract the newly exported cert_key.tar file and use the cert.crt within it to import into your Chrome browser.

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade RT-AX86U from 388.5 to 388.6. Not able to get SSL cert working. Have toggled the SSL mode without success.

Working fine here without any problem. HW 1.1