What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone had issues getting more that 20MHz on channels above 100 on 388.6?
See my experiences:

Reactions: aru
I have a different issue with Guest network than some have since 388.5 in another thread. Because for me internet works always.

On Guest 1 all is fine, intranet disabled (device with different IP), can not ping or see anything on local network..
But on Guest 2 (device with router IP) its weird, if intranet enabled, I can ping and all; but if intranet disabled, sure there is no ping, yet I can access my LAN devices (file sharing works too) and even scan local network and all is shown??
A known bug or...?

Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models. This release focuses on merging new GPL code from Asus.

Exceptionally, this release also includes the RT-AX56U. While this device still remains "end of life", Asus provided GPL code for it, so I decided to release a firmware for that model as well.

Code:
3004.388.6 (20-Jan-2024)
  - NOTE: Since Asus provided GPL code for the RT-AX56U, this model
          will exceptionally be included with this release, despite
          still being considered being end-of-life.

- NOTE: Asus reworked the way SSL certificates are handled in
          24353.  The automatic conversion code does not always
          work properly, you might need to force your router
          to re-generate its SSL certificates by toggling the
          SSL mode on the DDNS page.

- NEW: Added ethtool to the firmware.
  - UPDATED: Merged GPL 388_24353.
  - UPDATED: nano to 7.2.
  - UPDATED: ncurses to 6.3.
  - UPDATED: OUI database used by networkmap and the webui.
  - FIXED: CVE-2023-48795 in dropbear.
  - FIXED: e-Learning category not always properly identified
           on the Classification/Stats page.
  - FIXED: Incorrectly report 2.4 GHz as being disabled when
           disabling 6 GHz on the GT-AXE16000.
  - FIXED: UPNP leases without a description would not appear
           on the Forwarded Ports page.

Please keep discussions on this specific release. This thread will eventually be locked once release feedback has died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Updated to this version from 3004.388.5 and was unable to connect to wifi. Tried to connect via ethernet and got no ip address. Set my own ip address in the correct subnet and logged in. Saw DHCP was not running. Attempted to restart DHCP. Saw the following logs:

custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
dnsmasq[1652]: illegal repeated keyword at line 47 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
dnsmasq[1652]: FAILED to start up

tried to comment out line 47 but that didn't work. Undid comment and downgraded back to 3004.388.5.
DHCP started and connectivity was restored.

Not sure what the issue is here, ive never had a problem upgrading before with merlin. Possible bug in dnsmasq?

I have a few "smart devices", like power strips, Alexa and so on. Haven't bothered to make them be on their own, separate "subnet". AX88U, että what would be the easiest way? Guest-network? Which I don't otherwise use?

Is there already info on this here somewhere?

Is there already info on this here somewhere?
Note that this discussion on Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 firmware is for discussions on specific issues, bugs, etc. with this specific firmware. If you are not having a specific issue with the Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6, you may want to start a new discussion outside of this one.

Use the forum search if you haven't already. There are various discussions on IoT devices and using Guest Network on either stock Asus firmware or the Asus Merlin firmware or using other methods to isolate IoT devices from the main LAN. There is also the option to use the Asus Guest Network Pro feature on the few routers that support the Asus 3.0.0.6.x firmware. One can also use the add-on YazFi script in conjunction with Guest Network on Asus-Merlin to isolate IoT devices.

Can somebody please help with regards to a custom SSL not working. I have tried various posts here, but nothing seems to fix the issue, or I just don't understand what I need to do to make my SSL work again.

1707389488582.png

1707389577743.png

Updated to this version from 3004.388.5 and was unable to connect to wifi. Tried to connect via ethernet and got no ip address. Set my own ip address in the correct subnet and logged in. Saw DHCP was not running. Attempted to restart DHCP. Saw the following logs:

custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
dnsmasq[1652]: illegal repeated keyword at line 47 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
dnsmasq[1652]: FAILED to start up

tried to comment out line 47 but that didn't work. Undid comment and downgraded back to 3004.388.5.
DHCP started and connectivity was restored.

Not sure what the issue is here, ive never had a problem upgrading before with merlin. Possible bug in dnsmasq?
The item in line 47 is now probably present by default in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, but was previously added by your customization in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add. Remove that entry from your /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add so it only appears in one of the files and retry. There was discussion in the 388.6 beta thread IIRC on a similar issue.

Anyone else faced wifi performance drops since this last update?

I've updated my AX86U a few days ago and I can't get full speeds over wifi anymore.
While previously I was able to do a Speedtest and easily get 1gbps down and 400 up, now I get 500 ish and 354 Mbps (only over wifi though).

I assume wireless drivers were updated in this update, so just wondering if anyone seen similar behaviors.

My next step will probably reset + downgrade to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I don't know what can be the cause.

Your next step shouldn't be reset plus downgrade.

@damse Same channel/width comparison? Namely NOT on Auto...

Anyone else faced wifi performance drops since this last update?

I've updated my AX86U a few days ago and I can't get full speeds over wifi anymore.
While previously I was able to do a Speedtest and easily get 1gbps down and 400 up, now I get 500 ish and 354 Mbps (only over wifi though).

I assume wireless drivers were updated in this update, so just wondering if anyone seen similar behaviors.

My next step will probably reset + downgrade to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I don't know what can be the cause.

Problem must be on your end. Check your settings. No ones knows what you do with your setup, so if you don't list anything we all think it's basic in nature. Reset.

Check with your ISP and have them send a signal to the modem. Are you using QoS? WiFi speeds will vary throughout the day!

Your next step shouldn't be reset plus downgrade.

Yeah, I should have been more explicit. I mean go to the process of resetting and if that doesn't work, downgrading as well.
@damse Same channel/width comparison? Namely NOT on Auto...

Yep, tried multiple variations... Auto, multiple channels, multiple channel bandwidths.
And aways testing with two devices, my Macbook and iPhone 15 pro (in which I had got the 1Gbps/400Mbps before).
Problem must be on your end. Check your settings. No ones knows what you do with your setup, so if you don't list anything we all think it's basic in nature. Reset.

Strange that it just started doing this in the last couple of days. Before I didn't notice anything.

Tried doing a hard reset on the router and just enter wan port + vlan and result was the same.
I'll test more tomorrow and downgrade to previous version if it doesn't get better.

Check with your ISP and have them send a signal to the modem. Are you using QoS? WiFi speeds will vary throughout the day!

No issues with my ISP network access. ONT delivers full speed and wired speeds on my AX86U are the contracted bandwidth as well.
Just as soon as I test with wifi, speeds drop from 1000/400 to 200-500/350.

As I mentioned above, no other settings changed other than WAN port and vlan.

At this point, if downgrading doesn't fix this, I'm assuming there's something faulty with the router unfortunately :(