What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sweet. I should look at this thread more often. Thanks
Saw that the readme is a bit out-dated. But im sure you figure it out.

For the record, I've spent more time that I would like to admit trying to compile kernel modules for other AX-models but kernel modules build fails due to something missing in the firmware build, altough the firmware build was carried out without issues. Probably some missing symlink.

Not sure how useful these are for people using firmware wg, but for those few running wgm or prefer to script it themselves they should work fine.

A quick look at the latest version, so far so good.
I hope it continues.
1709636936452.png

Having connection problems with wireless with the latest release. WiFi works after (re)boot but disconnects after a couple of minutes and devices can't connect again. Tried power cycling, rebooting, etc. but problem persists so I had to downgrade to previous release.
I wasn't aware that this is a Diversion related bug when I wrote the above comment.

After the Diversion fix is released, I updated Diversion first and then did a dirty upgrade to 3004.388.6_2 and everything works as expected.

Thanks Merlin!

Last edited:
Initial testing on a pair of RT-AX56U running 3004.388.6_2 in a AIMesh pair. First thing - the wi-fi connectivity between router and mesh node has gone from 'Great' to 'OK'. Equally, measuring the RSSI of the SSID's - they've all fallen slightly - by about -5-10dbm so best one is now -56dBm, from about -48dBm. The noise has stayed constant but this gap means the Signal to Noise ration is now a bit poorer. My go-to for jitter and latency is the GeForce NOW network test and latency via wi-fi is now 20ms, which is about the same as before but games like Rocket League (good for getting a feel of the connectivity) are noticeably worse than stock firmware with slight stuttering. Trying out cloudflare's speed testing gives the same result as stock firmware though with a slight increase in Jitter (for those that don't know, Jitter is the variability of latency over time) and a low jitter gives a smoother streaming experience. So - for now - I'll keep it on but borderline for me to switch back to stock at this point. In case anyone asks, I have bound the test desktop where I am running these tests to the AIMesh node, so it won't jump between the mesh node and the router.
As compared to what?

The latest firmware is still working well at the moment.

However, I still have a problem with AiProtection.

When a site is blocked, it doesn't appear in the counter, which remains at 0. If I authorize the site, everything's fine. However, if I remove it from the list, it still works...
1709727471607.png

So there are inconsistencies. It would be nice if these problems could be corrected.

It would be nice if these problems could be corrected.

AiProtection is Trend Micro service, closed source in Asuswrt. Asus upstream has to deal with it.

AiProtection is Trend Micro service, closed source in Asuswrt. Asus upstream has to deal with it.
Thank you for this information. Can any of you pass this problem on to Asus ?
You may have more direct contacts.

Can any of you pass this problem on to Asus ?

This issue was reported before on older Asuswrt firmware versions and it's coming and going. I believe many users reported it many times to Asus already. Stock Asuswrt has a Feedback form. Reporting to Asus something not working on 3rd party modified firmware is useless. It has to be stock Asuswrt issue.

You may have more direct contacts.

No, I don't.

The latest firmware is still working well at the moment.

However, I still have a problem with AiProtection.

When a site is blocked, it doesn't appear in the counter, which remains at 0. If I authorize the site, everything's fine. However, if I remove it from the list, it still works...
View attachment 56984

So there are inconsistencies. It would be nice if these problems could be corrected.

Try this:
Post in thread 'Does AiProtection really work?' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/does-aiprotection-really-work.72764/post-691228

Working fine here:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_112558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_112558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57
So there are inconsistencies.

See this thread from 2022:

There is also a fix suggestion on Page 2, but I don't know if it works in 388 firmware.

@Tech9
Thanks for the additional information. Can we still expect a fix soon or should we keep our fingers crossed ?
I'll look into the SSH solution to fix it.

@Kingp1n
which link do you click for the test ?

1709745977609.png

Can we still expect a fix soon or should we keep our fingers crossed ?

Good luck with the fix. As you see the issue was present in 2022 and the eventual workaround was even older. It's 2024 now.

which link do you click for the test ?

You have to disable Safe Search on your Web Browser otherwise AiProtection will detect nothing. The access will be blocked before it sees it.

Good luck with the fix. As you see the issue was present in 2022 and the eventual workaround was even older. It's 2024 now.

You have to disable Safe Search on your Web Browser otherwise AiProtection will detect nothing. The access will be blocked before it sees it.
Indeed, it's surprising that the problem hasn't been solved in a stable and definitive way.
How to disable secure search in Firefox for testing purposes ?

it's surprising that the problem hasn't been solved

There is a long list of unsolved issues in Asuswrt. This one is cosmetic, AiProtection is working on background.

How to disable secure search in Firefox for testing purposes?

Someone else will help you with that, I don't use Firefox. The fox caught fire and run away a long time ago. Never came back. 🤭

There is a long list of unsolved issues in Asuswrt. This one is cosmetic, AiProtection is working on background.

Someone else will help you with that, I don't use Firefox. The fox caught fire and run away a long time ago. Never came back. 🤭
🤣
After testing the site, here's what it shows me in Firefox. The counter is still at 0... I haven't deactivated secure search on Firefox.

1709747613182.png

1709747600466.png

1709747640085.png

You perhaps need to open separate thread for your AiProtection questions. Unrelated to Asuswrt-Merlin.

You may try to delete the known wifi connection in the S23FE , switch to "pure" WPA3 and establish a new connection with the s23.

I´ve got a s23 ultra and many other clients which are working flawlessly with "pure" WPA3 at 5GHz net and 3004.388.6_2
Is there anyway to run WPA3 but support older WPA2 devices like smart clocks / tablets on a seperate router? Thinking of doing that and running my older devices off my old RT-AC68U in a WPA2 only mode for older devices.

You perhaps need to open separate thread for your WPA2/WPA3 questions. Unrelated to Asuswrt-Merlin.

The more unrelated to 388.6_x questions the faster the thread will be locked. Folks who actually want to report success/issues with 388.6_x won't be able to.