What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is nothing to fix, it's working as intended. If you don't want to block it, then disable the option that blocks it.
I think you're right that it is working as intended, but I do think that, due to the way Apple handle it on their devices, there could be ways to fine-tune it, i.e. when you click yes block doh an extra option to also include iCloud PR. Or don't block for devices connected to the router via VPN.

The VPN is the big issue for me. After 388.7 whenever I connected to the router via VPN, iOS thought my cellular network was blocking iCloud PR and prompting me to disable PR entirely for cellular, which I don't want to do. I thought I would have to disable iCloud PR entirely or allow DoH entirely, but luckily @dave14305 's script saved me on that one to basically keep PR enabled.

Again, this is completely Apple's fault for the stupid way they implement it, but there could be ways to fine-tune it on Asuswrt-Merlin's end for a better experience for certain situations where Apple users generally want to block automatic DoH for home LAN devices, but keep iCloud PR on mobile devices (and be able to connect back to LAN VPN occasionally).

Of course, in an ideal world this would be up to Apple to fix, and there should be an on-device option to automatically disable iCloud PR when certain VPN connections are initiated and re-enabled when disconnected. But not like they have the money to devote to that....

Last edited:
After several days of observation, I can unfortunately determine the following: The 5GHz WiFi on my node AX88U fails after about 48 hours. Then I have to deactivate it and activate it again and it then starts again for a certain time. Fixed channel on 48. Led for 5GHz remains on. It runs stable on the main router.

I have now switched the node to Asuswrt and am checking to see if it´s the same with the Asus firmware.

After several days of observation, I can unfortunately determine the following: The 5GHz WiFi on my node AX88U fails after about 48 hours. Then I have to deactivate it and activate it again and it then starts again for a certain time. Fixed channel on 48. Led for 5GHz remains on. It runs stable on the main router.

I have now switched the node to Asuswrt and am checking to see if it´s the same with the Asus firmware.
my router has a uptime of 6 days and never had that issue
1716535802592.png

@robinjoo1

As I mentioned: the ax88u is working as a NODE.

I always believed it was better to use stock AsusWRT on nodes. Is that not true anymore?

I always believed it was better to use stock AsusWRT on nodes. Is that not true anymore?
There are some rules here that are repeated again and again.
So far I have always had Merlin running on main and node without any errors.
I'll see the behavior now.
Maybe it's the device itself that has errors. To test this I have another AX88U, but that still needs more time.

Has never been true for me.

And, see the post above (link) for RMerlin's response.

All going well with 3004.388.7 to 50 odd home clients on the GT-AXE16000. Only quirk is the homes two LG appliances, Stove & Fridge, will drop from the 2.4GHz connection (only supported on 2.4Ghz) after 3-4 days. I believe this started since 388.7 alpha levels & onward to today's 388.7. Same symptom occurs with the LG appliances to my GT-BE98 Pro and its 2.4GHz setup.
My 2.4GHz setup is basic for clients that only support 2.4GHz. The 2.4GHz setup, if anyone had any ideas.
1716597325315.png

1716597456597.png

1716597496369.png

Reference: Wireless levels on the GT-AXE16000 for 388.7
1716598013359.png

Attachments

• 1716597957602.png
    1716597957602.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 15
Do you think it's safe to update to this version on AX58U with very old 384.19_0?

this was installed years ago on this router.

ok to update using wi-fi connection or plug into the router?

^^^ Per the conversations above, posting my observation: I've had a rock solid device which hasn't dropped for years start dropping after this latest update. I'm having to reboot this one device every 3-4 days to now return to it to service. I made no settings changes on the routers. Followed the same update process: backup configs and JFFS, disconnect usb, apply dirty upgrade from the prior released version as I always have, wait and then final reboot 30+ mins later. These are RT-AX86U units. I am considering rolling back to 3004.388.6 but have not done that yet.

Last edited:
^^^ Per the conversations above, posting my observation: I've had a rock solid device which hasn't dropped for years start dropping after this latest update. I'm having to reboot the device every 3-4 days to return to service. I made no settings changes. Followed the same update process, disconnect usb etc.. with a dirty upgrade from the prior released version as I always have. These are RT-AX86U units. I am considering rolling back to 3004.388.6 but have not done that yet.

I think I will just install stock Asus software on his router and factory reset since I may not be here for several years. He only needs basic use.

I was thinking, maybe try factory reset on yours before rolling back?

Unfortunately we went back to the stock Asus firmware and router is stuck on Merlin. 2 factory resets from GUI and reset button and still stuck on Merlin.

always says there is an update to 388_7, then stuck on that forever. router works.

Unfortunately we went back to the stock Asus firmware and router is stuck on Merlin. 2 factory resets from GUI and reset button and still stuck on Merlin.
I hope you mean you tried to flash the stock firmware, resetting the router in the GUI or the reset button doesn't bring it back to Merlin alone. :)

always says there is an update to 388_7, then stuck on that forever. router works.

Assuming you meant you tried resetting before the flash, if the router is unable to flash any firmware (Merlin or stock) it's likely a hardware issue.
Maybe an issue with the NAND chip/UBIFS. Your better off replacing it if that's the case I would presume.

Factory software must be downloaded from Asus and flashed manually.

can't you download the factory FW and use the Asus recovery tool to load the factory FW ? I forget the exact process but it should be easy to search on this site

Download the correct stock Asus firmware for your router to your computer, then use the Rescue Mode (Firmware Restoration) if you haven't done so already...

I hope you mean you tried to flash the stock firmware, resetting the router in the GUI or the reset button doesn't bring it back to Merlin alone. :)

Assuming you meant you tried resetting before the flash, if the router is unable to flash any firmware (Merlin or stock) it's likely a hardware issue.
Maybe an issue with the NAND chip/UBIFS. Your better off replacing it if that's the case I would presume.

Yes tried to flash stock Asus, never got it to work, ended up with latest Merlin that is working well.

I may just lever Merlin, it's working well. This looks like the way to do it.

Hard to tell what the issue is without logs. As others have said above you can try the Asus rescue tool and see how that works, if your still stuck on Merlin as you suggest and can't flash any firmware, you likely have an issue whether your notice it or not, but if you don't notice it then live on another day I suppose!