What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know what's going on with Mediafire, but there's been 2-3 persons reporting that they cannot see the AC66U build, while I do see it fine here, and the download stats also shows that hundreds of people have successfully downloaded it. All I can suggest is to try clearing your browser cache, or trying a different browser.

I had the same issue yesterday (saw the file on my desktop, which is connected to my RT-66U via wired Ethernet (is that redundant?), whereas on my laptop, connecting to the same RT-AC66U router on the 2.4 ghz channel, I could not see the file at all. Very strange. I took Merlin's suggestion and cleared my browser cache on the laptop, and lo and behold, the file was there all along (which of course I knew, since I had already downloaded it on my desktop to upgrade the router). But I needed it on my laptop, since I'm also running a second RT-AC66U as a "Repeater" and wanted to upgrade the firmware on that as well from .38_2 to the newest .39.

After clearing the browser, the file was visible. I have no idea why that would occur since the laptop's browser (IE11 in Win8.1) is set to "load page every time I visit" (i.e., it doesn't rely on cache). Who knows, yet another IE oddity.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Merlin for all of the great work and share my experience with the newest firmware.

I've been running the newest .39 Merlin firmware on both RT-AC66U's for the past two days and they are rock-solid, better than ever. One of the AC66U's is running as a Router, connected to an Arris Docsis 3.0 cable modem from Time Warner, and the other is located downstairs in our media room running in "Repeater" mode (not "media bridge" but "repeater").

For the past two years, I had been connecting all of my media equipment downstairs using a combination of "N" wireless and d-Link Powerline adapters (to make up for spotty Wi-Fi streaming). Running CAT 5 or 6 was just not practical and I hate seeing wires. I had one Powerline Adapter connected to a plug upstairs which was connected to my old router, and downstairs, another Powerline adapter was plugged in near my equipment and connected to a Netgear Gigabit switch (which I used to then connect to all of my wired media equipment, including an HTPC, Bluray, Smart TV, Denon receiver (for internet radio), etc.). Download speeds on the HTPC were often around 15-20Mbs on a 50/5 account from my ISP (TWC). Decent, and we could stream, but not always reliably and there were frequent "stalls" or hiccups when streaming anything from the HTPC which is connected to a 56" LED. Very annoying.

Recently, however, TWC upgraded all 50/5 accounts to 100/5 (yeah, the upload speed is still pretty pathetic, but they say they are going to upgrade that shortly to 20Mbs, and by the end of the year they claim they will take the entire Los Angeles network where I am up to 300/100...we'll see.

Anyway, I wasn't getting great speeds for streaming downstairs and the wireless and Powerline were just barely passable for that. So this past week, I purchased a second RT-AC66U, upgraded the firmware on both my Router and the new one to Merlin's latest .39 firmware, and set the new one up to operate in "Repeater Mode" (which is different than "Media Bridge" mode from what I've read). The Repeater is also set so that it connects to the upstair's RT-AC66U Router's on the Router's 5G channel.

So, with the new Repeater located downstairs near my media equipment, here's what I've done: I connected my HTPC's Gigabit Ethernet directly to one of the LAN ports on the Repeater via a Cat 6 cable; other wireless devices located downstairs connect to the Repeater using the Repeater's 5ghz band (all of these devices are "N" either 300 or 450). I know they are connecting to the Repeater and not the Router because I've given the downstairs Repeater and the upstairs Router different SSID's...upstairs on the Router I'm using the stock "ASUS" and "ASUS_5G" whereas downstairs on the Repeater, I am using "ASUS 2nd" and "ASUS_5G 2nd". So I know that my downstairs wireless devices are connected to the Repeater's "ASUS_5G 2nd" and in turn I know the Repeater is connected to the Router's "ASUS 5G" radio.

Setting things up this way has almost given me a "doubling" effect on both wired and wireless speeds downstairs on the Repeater from what I can get wirelessly upstairs using either radio on the Router. I'm not sure why this is so, but that is what I have experienced. I'm now getting incredibly fast speeds on my downstairs equipment, almost as fast or as fast as straight Gigabit Ethernet.

For example, on the downstairs HTPC (running Win 7 and XMBC), I am pulling download speeds in excess of 100 Mbs+, sometimes as high as 115 Mbs and with pings of less 10ms or less. Again, my ISP account is 100/5, so I seem to be getting the theoretical highest download speeds, something that I have not previously experienced with any other combination of routers I've ever used (e.g., Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, etc.) I've seen similar speed increases on all of my other wireless equipment located downstairs.

Oddly, upstairs if I connect to the Router's 2.4 or 5 GHz radios with any of the same wireless devices, I'm getting only about half the speed I get downstairs. Same routers, same firmware, no walls interfering in either location. But seemingly twice the speed using the "Repeater".

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. It may not have much to do with the firmware, but at least until I see a bug pop up somewhere in the latest build, I am very happy. In fact, I could not be more pleased with the latest Merlin firmware and the performance of the two RT-AC66U's I'm using.

Thanks again to RMerlin for all of your dedicated work; it's really appreciated.

Last edited:
Merlin, currently using 38_1em is there any specific way i should update to _39em? can i use the saved config from 38_1em to 39em? or start from scratch again?

Cheers.

Just straight flash on top of it.

I am on Comcast and IPv6 was fine even on the IPv6 log page I could see the addresses for all clients with 38em.

I never said anything about the client addresses. Anyway, it's a bug that I fixed for .39. So it doesn't matter now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great firmware. One thing I noticed after I ran an internal port/services scan with the iPhone app Scany that Samba, Printer & other services/ports were open by default only within my internal network. It took me a while trying to find where to disable Samba & Dlna. Only the printer port 515 is still showing active. How can I disable that port? Where can I disable the printer service?

On another note, if you run the Chrome extension ZenMate it will bypass the DNSfilter. ZenMate creates somewhat of a VPN tunnel so none of the filtering worked for me until I disabled ZenMate. I read some prior post claiming the filtering didn't work.

My share drives now have a (1) i.e:
\\RT-AC66U\MEDIA(1)
\\RT-AC66U\VIDEO(1)

I would like to remove the (1) please.

Nice,Very Nice!

Thanks Merlin! This version is performing quicker in my environment.:D

Thanks Merlin, I've been a Tomato guy for... well... forever and since switching to the RT-N66U decided to give your firmware a try. Was just about to go back to tomato to give me OpenDNS again and you released this version...!

Thank you.. :)

I have a network of approx 50 devices and use VPN, Port forwarding, parently controls, OpenDNS, static IP's, traffic monitoring per IP etc and all working.

Please accept a beer or two from me. :)

Donation
Confirmation number: 2LR60563A41535507

Matt

I think I crashed HTTPd by just clicking 'Tools' menu on the left after exploring 'AiCloud'

I can telnet into AC68U but no HTTPd on grep, nothing on port 80.

Attachments

• ac68u.jpg
    ac68u.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 301
  • ac68u2.jpg
    ac68u2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
"The only option I see missing in this list is WEP, and that's because WEP is not compatible with 802.11n. You need to set wireless mode to "Legacy" for WEP to become available now. This is simply something Asus clarified with the GUI to avoid people setting their router to WEP and then complaining at their router not going over 54 Mbps."

Thanks but not using WEP. Haven't for some time. Not even using WPA.

I'd have to load .39 again and capture the listing to compare.

I think I crashed HTTPd by just clicking 'Tools' menu on the left after exploring 'AiCloud'

I can telnet into AC68U but no HTTPd on grep, nothing on port 80.

Here is the log when it crashes at 'General > Tools':
Code:
Feb  2 10:22:37 rc_service: httpd 539:notify_rc reboot
Feb  2 10:22:38 dnsmasq[710]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Feb  2 10:22:38 dnsmasq[710]: using nameserver 202.53.8.8#53
Feb  2 10:22:38 dnsmasq[710]: using nameserver 202.53.8.9#53
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Connect time 19.6 minutes.
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Sent 15113098 bytes, received 665298990 bytes.
Feb  2 10:22:38 miniupnpd[789]: Failed to get IP for interface ppp0
Feb  2 10:22:38 miniupnpd[789]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Terminating on signal 15
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Connection terminated.
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Sent PADT
Feb  2 10:22:38 dnsmasq[710]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Feb  2 10:22:38 dnsmasq[710]: using nameserver 202.53.8.8#53
Feb  2 10:22:38 dnsmasq[710]: using nameserver 202.53.8.9#53
Feb  2 10:22:38 pppd[617]: Exit.
Feb  2 10:22:38 stop_wan(): perform DHCP release
Feb  2 10:22:38 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Feb  2 10:22:38 stop_wan(): perform DHCP release
Feb  2 10:22:38 kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Feb  2 10:22:38 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state
Feb  2 10:22:38 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Feb  2 10:22:38 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Feb  2 10:22:39 openvpn[825]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Feb  2 10:22:40 openvpn[825]: /usr/sbin/ip route del 10.8.0.0/24
Feb  2 10:22:40 openvpn[825]: Closing TUN/TAP interface
Feb  2 10:22:40 openvpn[825]: /usr/sbin/ip addr del dev tun21 local 10.8.0.1 peer 10.8.0.2
Feb  2 10:22:40 openvpn[825]: SIGTERM[hard,] received, process exiting
Feb  2 10:22:40 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Feb  2 10:22:40 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Feb  2 10:22:40 iTunes: daemon is stoped
Feb  2 10:22:40 FTP Server: daemon is stoped
Feb  2 10:22:40 dnsmasq[710]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Feb  2 10:22:41 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped
Feb  2 10:22:41 kernel: gro disabled
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq[6611]: started, version 2.68 cachesize 1500
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq[6611]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq-dhcp[6611]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.254, lease time 1d
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq-dhcp[6611]: DHCP, sockets bound exclusively to interface br0
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq[6611]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq[6611]: using nameserver 202.53.8.8#53
Feb  2 10:22:41 dnsmasq[6611]: using nameserver 202.53.8.9#53
Feb  2 10:22:41 Timemachine: daemon is stoped
Feb  2 10:22:41 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stoped
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usbcore: deregistering interface driver zaurus
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usbcore: deregistering interface driver rndis_host
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usbcore: deregistering interface driver cdc_ether
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usbcore: deregistering interface driver net1080
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usbcore: deregistering interface driver asix
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usbcore: deregistering interface driver usblp
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: remove, state 1
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: usb usb1: USB disconnect, address 1
Feb  2 10:22:43 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: USB bus 1 deregistered
Jan  1 05:30:12 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2
Jan  1 05:30:12 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-01-31 00:21:50 EST)
Jan  1 05:30:12 kernel: Linux version 2.6.36.4brcmarm (merlin@mint-dev) (gcc version 4.5.3 (Buildroot 2012.02) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 31 00:26:57 EST 2014
Jan  1 05:30:12 kernel: CPU: ARMv7 Processor [413fc090] revision 0 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f
Jan  1 05:30:12 kernel: CPU: VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT nonaliasing instruction cache
Jan  1 05:30:12 kernel: Machine: Northstar Prototype

I never said anything about the client addresses. Anyway, it's a bug that I fixed for .39. So it doesn't matter now.

FIXED: DHCPv6 client failing to request an IP with some ISPs such as Comcast (Asus bug) (patch from Saintdev)

Sound like a client issue to me which I did not have with any of the firmware either stock or Merlin.

Face it man...the issue did not affect all users of the router.

Sound like a client issue to me which I did not have with any of the firmware either stock or Merlin.

Face it man...the issue did not affect all users of the router.

Again, I never said it applied to everyone. It affected any user who's ISP uses DHCPv6 to assign addresses (which includes all Comcast users). As the commit message states, most people wouldn't notice because you still were assigned a prefix.

The word 'client' in the changelog refers to the DHCPv6 client process that runs on the router, not to client devices on the local network. The DHCPv6 client on the router is responsible for acquiring the router's WAN address, along with the prefix delegation and DNS servers from the ISP. The delegated prefix and DNS servers are then advertised so that LAN devices may configure their addresses (or optionally be assigned an address). The config file for the DHCPv6 client DID NOT request a WAN address when the ISP used DHCPv6, so unless you manually assigned a static address it was impossible for you to have an IPv6 WAN address.

This looked like this:
Code:
          IPv6 Connection Type: Native with DHCP-PD
              WAN IPv6 Address:

Those who are seeing queries bypassing DNSFilter, check what DNS servers your computer is using. If it has an IPv6 DNS defined, then queries sent to this server (which is typically your router's IPv6) won't be affected by the DNSFilter firewall rules since it will go through the ip6tables chains instead of the standard iptables.

Since none of the filtering services offers any IPv6 servers (that I'm aware of at least), I'm not sure at this point how to handle these requests, short of rejecting any DNS query sent over IPv6 if there is a valid DNSFilter rule for the requesting client. I will have to think about it.

Those who are seeing queries bypassing DNSFilter, check what DNS servers your computer is using. If it has an IPv6 DNS defined, then queries sent to this server (which is typically your router's IPv6) won't be affected by the DNSFilter firewall rules since it will go through the ip6tables chains instead of the standard iptables.

Since none of the filtering services offers any IPv6 servers (that I'm aware of at least), I'm not sure at this point how to handle these requests, short of rejecting any DNS query sent over IPv6 if there is a valid DNSFilter rule for the requesting client. I will have to think about it.

Windows seems to prefer IPv6 DNS servers over IPv4 servers when both are available.

Windows seems to prefer IPv6 DNS servers over IPv4 servers when both are available.

Yes, that's what I noticed with my laptop when testing a custom DNSFilter setting. I will have to devise a way of handling these in ip6tables.

My share drives now have a (1) i.e:
\\RT-AC66U\MEDIA(1)
\\RT-AC66U\VIDEO(1)

I would like to remove the (1) please.
this can take some tinkering. dismount both, reboot the router then connect one back to the other usb port, check it mounts without the 1 and connect the other. I have to keep trying this until it behaves. :(

I have ipv6 enabled, i use google as my ISP doesn't support it yet.

but last night IPV6 was disabled in the asus router during the tests. Yandex works, Norton does not unless the wan page dns servers are set to it overriding your dns settings in parental controls.!

This looked like this:
Code:
          IPv6 Connection Type: Native with DHCP-PD
              WAN IPv6 Address:

Oh I see on the IPv6 log page.

Someone might want to mention to Asus that 3.0.0.4.374.2239 has this bug as in testing the IPv6 WAN IPv6 address was blank on that page just like the code example you posted.

Why do the Comcast IPv6 test pages pass for me with 38em as shown below.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 306
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 453
So i should update to merlin's one and after is complete just make a hadware reset in the router's back button right? This is the right think to do?

The bad thing is that i'll miss all my configs and port fowards... :)

Thanks again guys

exactly ,

Just get a screenshot of all the settings in case you forgot any

Disk 500GB formatted ext4. A shows the amount of 904.588 GB???

Attachments

• ??????.JPG
    ??????.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Just upgrade from .33 to .39

Notice WiFi ac speed decreased and became very uneven. There are frequent drop down to zero kb/s even when device is 1 meter away from router.

I have 2 usb drives connected to device and capacity/free storage space info in web interface is wrong.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!