What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slow USB Drive Mounting

RT-AC68U - upgraded from 374.38_2 to 374.39 this morning. Did a full reset, restored some settings from a shell script. Overall, running great.
Except I have 2 USB drives attached, a Toshiba USB 3.0 1TB drive and a USB 2.0 enclosure with a 120GB SSD. Both have labels (Media for the 1 TB, SSD for the SSD drive). I also have a swap partition on the SSD.
In previous releases, both disks mounted fine.

With 374.39, they seem to take a very long time to mount. I have some shell scripts in my /jffs/scripts/services-start file that point to files on the USB drives. These don't run successfully.

Do I need to add some kind of sleep? dmesg shows the drives being attached, it seems the mount takes a very long time.

You may want to do a full reset again and manually reconfigure the router.

Feature suggestions

Hi there
Just copying this post from the ..._38 thread...

I'm fairly new to this. Been running DD-WRT on various Linksys/Cisco routere for the past 6-7 years. Bought my first Asus (RT-AC66U) a week ago and have been running it for a little less than a week.
In general I find the webui much better in the stock fw compared to e.g. Linksys. But I smiss things. So I uploaded newest RMerlin fw yesterday (...anyway, what was the latest, when I downloaded the fw = 38_2).

I don't think the additional features are for me (I'm semi-tech level), but I do like e.g. "stealth mode".
Then again, may be I just have to play a little more with it.

Anyway, I still miss a few things. So RMerlin, May I suggest a couple of enhancements:
I would like the traffic monitor to be configurable in terms of how to display traffic volumes - like Kb/s, KB/s, Mb/s, or MB/s
To me it would be very usefull to have the possibility to enable port forwarding for ports individually instead og having to activate it for all ports/ranges or none.

Is this something you would consider for a future release?

Many thanks for the good work so far.

Regards
Landhoff

Question - I am running a N66U ver. B1 using merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 because months ago I tried the latest merlin with the newer Asus driver and my wifi range was a lot worse at my home. I did a reset and still was poor compared to the sdk5 to where I was having dropouts in spots I got decent performance with sdk5.

So the question is has the asus driver/Fw combo been enhanced enough to give this new FW a try?

Also if people feel it's worth trying can I go back to 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 if needed?

Last edited:
Question - I am using merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 because months ago I tried the latest merlin with the newer Asus driver and my wifi range was a lot worse at my home. I did a reset and still was poor compared to the sdk5 to where I was having dropouts in spots I got decent performance with sdk5.

So the question is has the asus driver/Fw combo been enhanced enough to give this new FW a try?

Also if people feel it's worth trying can I go back to 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 if needed?

Of course, you can flash back at any time.

Question - I am using merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 because months ago I tried the latest merlin with the newer Asus driver and my wifi range was a lot worse at my home. I did a reset and still was poor compared to the sdk5 to where I was having dropouts in spots I got decent performance with sdk5.

With mentioning sdk5, I assume you're talking about the RT-N66U?

The one to use today is the 374.39_0-em version (found in the experimental folder).

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9dy3xubrkp79p/Experimental

Using old firmware is simply asking for trouble at one point or another (in the near or far future; with regards to performance and/or security issues).

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=102550&postcount=4

Last edited:
Question - I am running a N66U ver. B1 using merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 because months ago I tried the latest merlin with the newer Asus driver and my wifi range was a lot worse at my home. I did a reset and still was poor compared to the sdk5 to where I was having dropouts in spots I got decent performance with sdk5.

I was an SDK5 user for its wireless performance, but these EM builds are on par in my environment.

With mentioning sdk5, I assume you're talking about the RT-N66U?

The one to use today is the 374.39_0-em version (found in the experimental folder).

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9dy3xubrkp79p/Experimental

Using old firmware is simply asking for trouble at one point or another (in the near or far future; with regards to performance and/or security issues).

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=102550&postcount=4

I updated my original post but yes I am using N66u ver. b1 hardware. What is the difference with the EM versus the release regular release of 374.9? Reading the first post in this thread didn't make it clear to me.

I found the answer (I think) in the changelog:
"CHANGED: Discontinued SDK5 builds for the RT-N66U. The new EM
builds resolved wifi range issues by running the SDK6
driver set in Engineering Mode (driver provided by Asus).
Look in the Experimental folder for the EM build - it will
eventually become the standard build for the N66U once
it gets sufficiently tested. You might need to do a
factory default reset after switching to an EM build,
for best results."

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just flashed this build em version n66 and I can not get v6 to work at all. The router shows a v6 address but all my v6 tests fail saying no v6 address detected. I did two factory resets and nvram clears and still no dice v6 is broken here am I missing something. Comcast native v6 i set up v6 in the router just the same way I have done it a hundred times but on this build it just don't work. Any ideas ?? Also having some websites loading extremely slow never incountered this before either. :confused:

RT-AC68U

_39 looks to be a step back with wl driver (583) against _38 (542 wl driver). It has nothing to do with RMerlin's work, which is great by the way. I can get on 5 GHz about 9.2 MB/s with _39. With _38 it was 11.5 MB/s climbing sometimes to 12.5 MB/s. The answer for "wl txpwrlimit" is "wl: Undefined error" - something broken in wl driver. The same issue with original 583 asus fw.

There is an issue with USB disk "capacity / free space reporting" - again the same as with original 583 asus fw. Web GUI gives wrong numbers.

Web GUI works much faster - just to report more aggressive caching.

I found it necessary to reset default settings upgrading from 38 to 39.

Could be interesting to incorporate 542 wl driver with 39 Meriln's release. This would be the best solution till now.

Last edited:
RT-AC68U

_39 looks to be a step back with wl driver (583) against _38 (542 wl driver). It has nothing to do with RMerlin's work, which is great by the way. I can get on 5 GHz about 9.2 MB/s with _39. With _38 it was 11.5 MB/s climbing sometimes to 12.5 MB/s. The answer for "wl txpwrlimit" is "wl: Undefined error" - something broken in wl driver. The same issue with original 583 asus fw.

There is an issue with USB disk "capacity / free space reporting" - again the same as with original 583 asus fw. Web GUI gives wrong numbers.

I found it necessary to reset default settings upgrading from 38 to 39.

Could be interesting to incorporate 542 wl driver with 39 Meriln's release. This would be the best solution till now.
Yes i see same bug.I upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.39 rt-n66u and wrong show Available hdd space.Please fix in next version.

Just reflashed 39-em again cleared ram and did a factory reset and still the same issue v6 is compleatly broke and with v6 enabled some websites don't want to load on the first try. Nope for me this firmware is the worse in quite some time. I guess it's back to 38_2em until I buy another router when my tax refund comes in. :(

Still having issue with the Webgui on this version and the previous version you had.

When I go to 192.168.1.1 and login, i get a white page and keeps loading. Sometimes I have to refresh (f5) 3 or 4 times before the page loads with all the settings. Using google chrome.

Still having issue with the Webgui on this version and the previous version you had.

When I go to 192.168.1.1 and login, i get a white page and keeps loading. Sometimes I have to refresh (f5) 3 or 4 times before the page loads with all the settings. Using google chrome.

You need to stop using chrome. ;)

Problems with 374.39

Hello, there is a strange behavior in external usb 3.0 disk on RT-AC68U, disk does no mount in the router, and allways says unmounted, if I remove the disc it stays the name, does not clear the disc, and it sais unmounted anyway, but even without the disc it mantains the disc name and unmounted message.

Simply there is something very buggy here.

The other problem I have is in wireless system status, it allways shows my network as ADMIN, not the name I have configured?!?!?!?!

Router AC68U
System OSX Mavericks and Safari.

Asus firmware appers to have this bugs too.

Thanks,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!