What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why do the Comcast IPv6 test pages pass for me with 38em as shown below.

That is because the router still acquires, and advertises, a prefix delegation and DNS servers. Comcast prefix delegation address, like yours in the screenshot, start with 2601:[...]. While their host IPv6 addresses start with 2001:558:[...]. The latter address is what you will see under the IPv6 WAN address field.

The reason this isn't an issue for most people is because your IPv6 WAN address would only be used for connecting directly to the router from the internet via IPv6. A couple examples would be connecting to the OpenVPN server on the router via IPv6 (which isn't currently possible), or ssh into the router via IPv6.

I have flashed 374.39 on my AC68U. Been running fine for 48hrs or so now. The Norton DNS filtering works fine for me here in NZ. Adult search results appear on google as expected but when I tried clicking on the first 20 links returned I was re-directed to Norton.

The only think I have noticed is my ext4 disk size & free space isnt displayed correctly as others have mentioned, although there doesn't appear to be any problems with read/write so far.

OpenVPN, Samba shares, optware (mainly for transmission) all appear rock solid.

Thanks RMerlin :)

<off-topic>
Is OpenDNS able to give you a Youtube server close to where you live?
(In other words, does it keep track of your geografical location?)
<end off-topic>

No. Also, a lot of ISPs actually host a Youtube cache server on their own network, so their own DNS will point you at it.

Well im back to the same ipv6 issue with this firmware as well. IPv6 works great for 2 days then the router loses its v6 public address a reboot is required to get it back again. Unreal no other firmware does this but the 38 and 39 builds n66u. So its official im buying a new router tired of playing this firmware game. Asus broke v6 for the N66u unless you want to reboot every 2 days. :mad:

Use to really like the n66 but i guess its time to move on. I will have to think really hard before i buy another Asus again. And before somebody says it works fine on my router well thats wonderful it dont on mine and this firmware is the reason tested many times.

Can you paste your syslog and the contents of IPv6 log page?

I'm using OpenDNS for years, so I did already enforced using OpenDNS by setting it in the WAN settings.
Is there any benefit or extra to also using it in the parental control (DNS tab)?

Vincent

The ability to have it enabled only for some specific devices, or to configure some specific devices to bypass it. DNSFilter will also prevent people from bypassing it by manually configuring a DNS on their computer.

Well im back to the same ipv6 issue with this firmware as well. IPv6 works great for 2 days then the router loses its v6 public address a reboot is required to get it back again. Unreal no other firmware does this but the 38 and 39 builds n66u. So its official im buying a new router tired of playing this firmware game. Asus broke v6 for the N66u unless you want to reboot every 2 days. :mad:

Use to really like the n66 but i guess its time to move on. I will have to think really hard before i buy another Asus again. And before somebody says it works fine on my router well thats wonderful it dont on mine and this firmware is the reason tested many times.

Welcome to IPv6. Most home devices are still struggling in properly implementing it - heck, even ISPs are still experimenting with it. There's no guarantee that any other manufacturer will have IPv6 support, or even an IPv6 firewall. I recommend you do some solid research before switching, or you might be disappointed - IPv6 isn't a "granted" feature.

Can you paste your syslog and the contents of IPv6 log page?

Nope because im already back on 374_35_4sdk5 this firmware never has a issue and its were im staying till my tax refund deposits in my bank account. I have been testing this since the day 38 and 39 were released and the same results every time.

Thanks for your input and help but it just dont work right wiith the N66U. I have a very simple network and i know for a fact that there is nothing here causing this issue except the new firmware. I have even tried my old router Linksys EA-4500 and it is also rock solid with V6 so this is no doubt the firmware causing the problem. Jim !!

Welcome to IPv6. Most home devices are still struggling in properly implementing it - heck, even ISPs are still experimenting with it. There's no guarantee that any other manufacturer will have IPv6 support, or even an IPv6 firewall. I recommend you do some solid research before switching, or you might be disappointed - IPv6 isn't a "granted" feature.

Thanks Merlin but i have had native v6 here for well over a year and these latest released firmwares are when my problems started. Every time i revert back to anything other then 38 and 39 the problem is solved. Also trying my other router EA-4500 Linksys (and i hate linksys) the v6 problem is gone works great. There is in my mind no question the new Asus code has made comcast v6 unstable i cant speak for other isp's.

Last edited:
Anyone else having issues with the 2.4ghz? For some reason, i get 1mbps download speed on ookla speedtest. On 5ghz, i get 40mbps.

On my mobile phone, i always get a notification that says internet is unstable on the 2.4ghz. When i check wifi analyzer, signal strength shows around -30db.

Ive cleared nvram, tried em and non em version to no avail.

Edit: this is on n66u

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Has anyone tested the Wi-Fi on 2.4GHz and 5GHz on this firmware and compared it to Asus version .2239?

I 'm having the same with the n66u router. Thats why I use the latest sdk 5 beta

Now with the 39-em version everything is ok. No difference between sdk5 and em version with wifi

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I cannot get the iTunes server to show up in iTunes under shared libraries, any ideas?

Has anyone tested the Wi-Fi on 2.4GHz and 5GHz on this firmware and compared it to Asus version .2239?

I 'm having the same with the n66u router. Thats why I use the latest sdk 5 beta

In my environment, Merlin's 374.39 EM build is working as well as the SDK5 builds.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I cannot get the iTunes server to show up in iTunes under shared libraries, any ideas?

I'm having the same problem! I asked a while ago on this thread but got not answer :confused: At least I'm not the only one :) Lets see if anybody can help us

Nice.
I activated the Norton Safe option. Very usefull for my kids.
Do i understand it right that i don't have to manually change the DNS servers in the WAN page ?
The functions with mature and adult content are working nice. But how can i test if the malicious sites are really working :)

The host file is accessed by dnsmasq for those local resolutions. DNSFiltering totally bypasses dnsmasq, so entries located in hosts won't resolve either.

What about using two of the OpenDNS Premium DNS nameservers (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 208.67.220.222 & 208.67.222.220) or OpenDNS FamilyShield nameservers (208.67.222.123 & 208.67.220.123) in the WAN > WAN DNS Setting section? Wouldn't that effectively allow OpenDNS functionality and/or filtering for all users without affecting local hostname resolution? Thanks.

So far, so good on my end.

IPv6 with custom DNSs seem to be working (Native) which was my issue with 374_38_x.

The only remaining issue for me is the router rebooting randomly with NAT Acceleration on while IPv6 is enabled. I'll check to see if it happens after work hours.

Nice.
I activated the Norton Safe option. Very usefull for my kids.
Do i understand it right that i don't have to manually change the DNS servers in the WAN page ?
The functions with mature and adult content are working nice. But how can i test if the malicious sites are really working :)

Which router?

(@all, you can put this info into your signature, very handy.)

Last edited:
What about using two of the OpenDNS Premium DNS nameservers (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 208.67.220.222 & 208.67.222.220) or OpenDNS FamilyShield nameservers (208.67.222.123 & 208.67.220.123) in the WAN > WAN DNS Setting section? Wouldn't that effectively allow OpenDNS functionality and/or filtering for all users without affecting local hostname resolution? Thanks.

Correct.
Key here is, filtering for all users.

No. Also, a lot of ISPs actually host a Youtube cache server on their own network, so their own DNS will point you at it.

Thx, that's what keeping me from using OpenDNS on the WAN page.
I'll stick with my ISP's DNS on the WAN page.
Gives, in theory, best streaming results.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!