What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.46 is out (RT-AC87 only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I do not like to use the terminal in linux to manager the local copy of the git repository as it does not allow you to update the local copy. Is there a git client for Linux that has a GUI that allows you to update to the latest commit.

Just got my AC87U and flashed 376.46 to it. Everything seems ok as I have left most of the stuff on auto.

However, one major issue on IPv6 and the same problem happens in 376.45/376.44 but not in 374.43. The AC87U insist on itself being the IPv6 DNS server despite what is set in the IPv6 DNS server page. In 374.43 for AC68/66, it correctly dish out the manually set IPv6 DNS server to clients via RA and/or DHCPv6.......

And the AC87U does not respond to DNS request thru its IPv6 address on the LAN segment, so this prevents LAN/Wireless clients from properly resolving DNS queries, and so IPv6 does not work.

I am using 6in4 tunneling, using tunnelbroker.

Please help! RMerlin?

PS. Manually setting DNS on the clients works but the router should really broadcast the DNS stuff to the clients correctly.......

Just got my AC87U and flashed 376.46 to it. Everything seems ok as I have left most of the stuff on auto.

However, one major issue on IPv6 and the same problem happens in 376.45/376.44 but not in 374.43. The AC87U insist on itself being the IPv6 DNS server despite what is set in the IPv6 DNS server page. In 374.43 for AC68/66, it correctly dish out the manually set IPv6 DNS server to clients via RA and/or DHCPv6.......

And the AC87U does not respond to DNS request thru its IPv6 address on the LAN segment, so this prevents LAN/Wireless clients from properly resolving DNS queries, and so IPv6 does not work.

I am using 6in4 tunneling, using tunnelbroker.

Please help! RMerlin?

PS. Manually setting DNS on the clients works but the router should really broadcast the DNS stuff to the clients correctly.......
There is a new firmware for the AC87U which is build 2678. Just wait for RMerlin to update the codebase of his firmware to that build

I actually read that thread and checked at the time and no such errors existed, until after I installed the latest firmware and checked for it so....

I know I do not have any wifi and direct connect at the same time, Thats also why I keep good track of everything on my network (21 DHCP devices and 2 not in there).

I just tried disabling STP in that thread as someone said to try.

Anything else or wait for a new firmware? (and I am still waiting to see if disabling STP does the trick, but I don't have any bridge soo....) I just have one 16 port switch.

edit: the STP did nothing

Last edited:
There is a new firmware for the AC87U which is build 2678. Just wait for RMerlin to update the codebase of his firmware to that build

I flashed to 2678 prior to RMerlin's 376.46. That same bug is still present in 2678.

Hi all,
Later night I disconnected all lan wires from my router , so I only had wifi on, nothing connected at all thru cat5 or cat6 or any cat wire, and still getting the error.

I don't know if I should have posted this here, but this is the firmware I am running.

Any more ideas please.

Edit: from what I have read 2 others have the same problem and are unable to fix, and as one stated it seems to be a asus firmware bug, as I am seeing, cause nothing helps so far.

Last edited:
Should i install Asuswrt-Merlin?

have 3 of these routers in a 8100Sqft home 1 main and 2 set up as hardwired AP's im running the latest available firmware (FW Rev 3.0.0.4.376.2678) the 5ghz on all of them is intermittently slow and the main router constantly locks up and will not allow access to my internal network(My LAN) or the Internet (The WAN) this happens anywhere from 4 and 10 times a day depending on the load and requires a Physical reboot , prior to purchasing these i was running the same 3 router config but with the RT-AC68U with absolutely no issues i spent close to $1100 on these 3 routers and as you can see from the pictures here --> http://d.pr/i/mGCv I have taken a lot of time to upgrade from my previous 68U's and incorporate them into my network, i want to love them i really do but need them to work! asus needs to squash these bugs and fix these issues this is a premium product to $330 a pop CAD i expect SOME issues when jumping on board early but this is nonsense seriously wow

wondering if its worth the update Asuswrt-Merlin regardless of the "beta" status as it seems asus builds are beta themselves :| ?? anyone else tried and found that Asuswrt-Merlin builds are better then asus builds atm? whats the consensus? thx

have 3 of these routers in a 8100Sqft home 1 main and 2 set up as hardwired AP's im running the latest available firmware (FW Rev 3.0.0.4.376.2678) the 5ghz on all of them is intermittently slow and the main router constantly locks up and will not allow access to my internal network(My LAN) or the Internet (The WAN) this happens anywhere from 4 and 10 times a day depending on the load and requires a Physical reboot , prior to purchasing these i was running the same 3 router config but with the RT-AC68U with absolutely no issues i spent close to $1100 on these 3 routers and as you can see from the pictures here --> http://d.pr/i/mGCv I have taken a lot of time to upgrade from my previous 68U's and incorporate them into my network, i want to love them i really do but need them to work! asus needs to squash these bugs and fix these issues this is a premium product to $330 a pop CAD i expect SOME issues when jumping on board early but this is nonsense seriously wow

wondering if its worth the update Asuswrt-Merlin regardless of the "beta" status as it seems asus builds are beta themselves :| ?? anyone else tried and found that Asuswrt-Merlin builds are better then asus builds atm? whats the consensus? thx

Hi,
I have my brothers and my RT-AC87R's set up and running quite well BUT I am also not using it your way at all. SO lets start with only one if possible and test the 5GHz and see if it drops, mine does not (if it does I have not seen it yet) and I have heard nothing from my brother and he certainly would tell me.

In your setup I have noticed antenna placement, SO far I have found the placement works best if it looks like the book, BUT you wall mounted them so I would put the middle 2 straight up and the side 2 in a 45 pointing out and to the side of the routers, that SHOULD simulate the book.

Now all this is subjective, and I am by no means any expert on routers, BUT I have not rebooted mine or my brothers, well I did reboot mine to try and fix some minor vlan error in the log but it seems like an asus problem and has not caused any issues for me but just show in the log.

You may need to also scan your house (or see if neighbors) are using the same channels and if so changed them, a good android app is "WiFi Analyzer" or something like it.

After you get the main router to work then proceed with the others one at a time, and hopefully someone with lots more experience with multiple routers will chime in and give you some advice (I am not saying you need any, but maybe others went thru what you are).

When you upgrade firmware I try (if you have not) to reset it at least 2 times, meaning
flash firmware then reset router (skip setup, as mostly you can)
then flash firmware again and reset router, and manually input all settings back by hand.
I hold the wps button on the back while powering up the router for 20-30 seconds.

Also make sure you are using WPA2 and AES for your wifi.

Maybe something in this will help maybe not, let us know how goes.

edit: I am using Merlin's builds, but my brother is using asus 2061. Also I get 5GHz all over his house and yard 1/2 acre, mine covers the entire house and garage and then some, over double the distance of my old rt-ac68r.

Last edited:
Hi all. I have tried all different newer router models over last year. Rt-n66, r7000, airport extremes and now the ac-87. System was running snappy with the r7000 as main router and an N66 bridged via Ethernet. I installed the ac87 today and have had all types of issues.

First, I could not get Internet pages to load with my static IP. If I use auto IP, no problem. Took a few reboots but I got static working. I then added the N66 via bridge to increase coverage. Even while showing full bars on the iphone I am running very very slow using speedtest. Sometimes I'm seeing less than 1mb DL, At others 15-20mb. I have 50mb service /5mb upload. Upload almost always shows close to 5mb.

In wired connections with my imac, I am seeing some serious deals in opening pages, even those that are cached. I cleared DNS cache, etc. Other times seeing fast loads.

I can not connect to 5ghz from iPhones regardless. I did not have this issue with the R7000 except in fringe areas. Signal is showing same as 2.4 in terms if strength.

Most settings are default however I do have 16-17 static ip's and 19 port forwards set up. I double checked MAC and ip's and all fine.

Am I missing something here? I did buy a 2nd ac87 to bridge to nix the N66 but didn't open it until I can get network running smooth and quick.

Any suggestions? I know I was rather vague here, but just seeing a host of issues. Running WPS-2 and AES as always. My issues are not wireless only they are also wired.

By the way, I've tried FW 2061, 2678 and Merlin's latest which I'm
Running now. Same on all.

Hi all. I have tried all different newer router models over last year. Rt-n66, r7000, airport extremes and now the ac-87. System was running snappy with the r7000 as main router and an N66 bridged via Ethernet. I installed the ac87 today and have had all types of issues.

First, I could not get Internet pages to load with my static IP. If I use auto IP, no problem. Took a few reboots but I got static working. I then added the N66 via bridge to increase coverage. Even while showing full bars on the iphone I am running very very slow using speedtest. Sometimes I'm seeing less than 1mb DL, At others 15-20mb. I have 50mb service /5mb upload. Upload almost always shows close to 5mb.

In wired connections with my imac, I am seeing some serious deals in opening pages, even those that are cached. I cleared DNS cache, etc. Other times seeing fast loads.

I can not connect to 5ghz from iPhones regardless. I did not have this issue with the R7000 except in fringe areas. Signal is showing same as 2.4 in terms if strength.

Most settings are default however I do have 16-17 static ip's and 19 port forwards set up. I double checked MAC and ip's and all fine.

Am I missing something here? I did buy a 2nd ac87 to bridge to nix the N66 but didn't open it until I can get network running smooth and quick.

Any suggestions? I know I was rather vague here, but just seeing a host of issues. Running WPS-2 and AES as always. My issues are not wireless only they are also wired.

By the way, I've tried FW 2061, 2678 and Merlin's latest which I'm
Running now. Same on all.

Hi,
First flash with one file as I described I'm my post above, twice, resetting,.

Before flashing unplug the cable modem, I have seen in the past your issue with the cable modem, all I did was leave it unplugged for 1/2 hour sometimes less sometimes more .

I don't use a static IP to my ISP , but my bother and I both use macs and iOS devices and we have no issues.

Start with just the router, unplug the bridge, don't do anything else but static, first.

Now see if your wired connections are good, then Wireless.

After flash, input back manually info.

Hope maybe something from this works for you, let us know.

376.46 is not a beta.

Hi,

Is it possible to change regulatory country for 5Ghz radio? Something like qcsapi_sockrpc set_regulatory_region wifi0 ... ?

Also, is qsc rpc command list available somewhere?

Also, is qsc rpc command list available somewhere?

Probably if you pay Quantenna to get the SDK documentation. Otherwise, you will have to dive through the open-sourced client library code.

Using the latest official Asus firmware with Adaptive QOS enabled, running Speed Test does nothing. The result is 1/4 of my link speed with four clients surfing, downloading torrents etc. I have file transfers set at the bottom, lowest priority.

I don't use Download Master. I run my torrents from my desktop.

Using the latest official Asus firmware with Adaptive QOS enabled, running Speed Test does nothing. The result is 1/4 of my link speed with four clients surfing, downloading torrents etc. I have file transfers set at the bottom, lowest priority.

Wrong thread - this is about my firmware, not the official one...

Point taken, but......

On 08-28-2014, 12:26 AM

On this same thread you stated:

"Adaptive QoS was working fine when I tested it. I had a torrent running when I started a Speedtest in a browser. Torrent speed immediately dropped to next to zero, and my speed test ran at my full ISP speed. Once the speed test completed, torrent went back to its original speed."

Is there a fix on the Asus Adaptive QOS in your version that has remedied what is broken in the latest Asus 2678 official release?

Have you tested and compared Adaptive QOS on your current version vs. the latest Asus official version?

I think I may have found a fix. I tested the Adaptive QOS for 48 hours and no joy.

I then rebooted the modem and it works. It drops the torrents and other feuding traffic on my clients and gets me about 90% of my link speed on Speed Test.

I expect that when you put out your version of the 2678 Asus latest, it has the capability to enable a Web UI reboot schedule setting - that would be neat!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!