What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oh yes I know mate, I just wondered if you had any idea if it would be a feature that would be implemented again? I can overlock via SSH although I am not sure if its genuinely running at those speeds. Obviously with a reboot the overclock goes

Setting the clock over SSH should survive reboots (in fact it must, since the clock is only set at boot time).

If you are referring to the Turbo button on the RT-AC68U, the change lies in the bootloader, not in the firmware, so there's nothing that can be done at the firmware level.

have you seen my answer in post 94 Rmerlin do you think that helps you fix the problem

My results:

With services-start enabled:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sat Oct 18 23:33:46 UTC 2014
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# nvram get link_internet
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# ps w |grep ntp
4039 admin 1384 S grep ntp
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root#

Without services-start enabled

soft reboot:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sat Oct 18 23:33:46 UTC 2014
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# ps w |grep ntp
1171 admin 1384 S grep ntp
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# date
Sat Jan 1 01:03:49 GMT 2011

Power cycle:

admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# ps w | grep ntp
1178 admin 1384 S grep ntp
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# date
Sat Jan 1 01:04:07 GMT 2011

So, in my case, it looks like the ntp service starts, but, for some reason it is not able to set the date during the boot process.
One question. I use the very first version of the bootloader as I want to maintain the possibility to overclock. Threre could be any possibility of relationship between old bootloader and the date setting problem?

About the share setting problem I never tried to create a new share, but I have already tried to set the permissions on the existing folders using firefox and chrome with exactly the same results.

Tell me what else I can do to help you address the problems I mentioned

Last edited:
have you seen my answer in post 94 Rmerlin do you think that helps you fix the problem

No, no other idea at this point. Asus did a lot of changes to the NTP code in 2769, and I haven't the time to analyze it. Your results confirms that the issue isn't the router not detecting the state of the Internet connection (one of the things ntp checks before trying to sync time).

So, in my case, it looks like the ntp service starts, but, for some reason it is not able to set the date during the boot process.
One question. I use the very first version of the bootloader as I want to maintain the possibility to overclock. Threre could be any possibility of relationship between old bootloader and the date setting problem?

None that I could think of, so it's highly unlikely, especially since the reports are from different router models.

About the share setting problem I never tried to create a new share, but I have already tried to set the permissions on the existing folders using firefox and chrome with exactly the same results.

Apparently the issue disappeared with the latest development code. There hasn't been any change to the webui code so I find it surprising, however I've done some changes to smbpasswd, the tool that creates the user/password database. There's a good chance that database was being partly corrupted in Beta 1, you'll have to test it again when I release the next beta. I'll try to find the time to prepare a new beta build probably this weekend.

I'm not sure if NTP is supported in AP mode - quite a few features aren't.

Merlin, I only use my RT-N66U in AP mode and can confirm that NTP works just fine.
-------------------------
RT-N66U with 3.0.0.4.376.48_beta1

Just a follow up I enabled Apps analysis though the slider and the page is defiantly accurate now. Each time I go to the page all the knows hosts are listed and the gages no longer display negative bandwidth.

Known issue outside of my control. Asus's recommendation is to disable HW acceleration to improve accuracy. Enabling Apps analysis might also help a bit.

Merlin, I only use my RT-N66U in AP mode and can confirm that NTP works just fine.
-------------------------
RT-N66U with 3.0.0.4.376.48_beta1

Asus might have changed it at some point, cause I remember it was one of the things people used to complain about in the past. At least it confirms that it's not the source of these two user's problem, thanks.

I'm experiencing a bug in the beta, I have channel bandwidth on 5G network set to 80MHz but it actually uses just 20 Mhz.

Screenshot%202014-10-24%2008.56.32.png

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -92 dBm Channel: 36
BSSID: E0:3F:49:0A:21:1C Capability: ESS
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 36 20MHz (0xd024)
Primary channel: 36
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]

Last edited:
Try changing wireless mode from 'N+AC' to Auto.

Either this or take a look at your wireless advanced settings. If I enable IGMP snooping on 5G leaving the other settings on default, 5G autom. swichted to 20MHz channel bandwidth.

Yep, that helped. Now it's on 80 MHz. Why is this?

I suspect there is a good neighbor policy in place, which limits the bandwidth when other localy 5ghz wifi networks are operating on nearby ranges (similar to how 11n operates at 2.4ghz).

Not found any documentation to confirm yet though.

Cheers, Nick

How far from a final release are .48? I know it is a hard question, but are there an estimate?
Always the same s***d answer to the same s***d question:
It's ready when it's ready! :eek:

Remember: Merlin does this great work in his spare time and he does it alone. Let him do the job when he has the time (and motivation) to do it!

Just relax and be happy when you get it! :)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Always the same s***d answer to the same s***d question:
It's ready when it's ready! :eek:

Remember: Merlin does this great work in his spare time and he does it alone. Let him do the job when he has the time (and motivation) to do it!

Just relax and be happy when you get it! :)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:
Let's pretend that I already wrote a angry comment about you being rude and leave it at that then? ;-)

How far from a final release are .48? I know it is a hard question, but are there an estimate?

I don't have any planned release target yet. There will be at least another beta first. I'll go final only when I'm satisfied with it (that most new issues are resolved).

I suspect there is a good neighbor policy in place, which limits the bandwidth when other localy 5ghz wifi networks are operating on nearby ranges (similar to how 11n operates at 2.4ghz).

Not found any documentation to confirm yet though.

Cheers, Nick

According to Site Survey, I don't even see any neighbors 5 GHz networks. Only 2,4 GHz. That sounds about right, the neighbors are not very close (about 75m).

I have always had that setting but only now seen that problem. So that's why I suspected that it had to do with this beta.

I'm getting all sorts of strange messages in the system log when I run an OpenVPN server (TUN) on my AC87. With a vpn client connected, the router will eventually reboot itself after several hours. With two clients connected, the time until this reboot seems to be much less. I reconfigured the VPN server to use AES-128-CBC instead of AES-256-CBC and changed the compression setting from adaptive to none in an effort to place less stress on the router. This does not seem to have made any difference.

Posting the system log will require I do a bit of sanitizing beforehand, so before I do that I wanted to ask if there is some sort of increased verbosity mode or something similar that I should enable first (if it would be helpful). And something related - when the router reboots, the log is gone. Is there a way of redirecting the system log to a USB drive? Or would I then miss all events that take place prior to mount?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!