What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

376.49_5 was uploaded, fixing the CVE-2014-9583 security hole.

I am currently running 87R's 376.49_5_newqtn with the new Quantenna v36.7.0.31 driver.

Does this ' new' 49_5 which fixes the security hole also include the new Quantenna driver?

Last edited:
Have an AC68P and a TM-AC1900 (as access point). Both running 376_49_4. Updated the AC68P to_5 just fine. Every time I try to update the TM-AC1900 I get the failed message almost instantly.
Didn't have any issue updating via the GUI before. Flashed merlin to the TM-AC1900 when I first got it a couple months ago, has 2.1.2.1 CFE.

Sam

I am currently running 87R's 376.49_5_newqtn with the new Quantenna v36.7.0.31 driver.

Does this ' new' 49_5 which fixes the security hole also include the new Quantenna driver?

No, just the security fix, no new drivers.

Definitely not related to the upgrade, since there's been zero change outside of closing the security hole, and fixing a second security issue in the same infosvr code.

First, thanks for the immediacy of the fix, and second, thanks for the confirmation, found the solution in another thread, next time I'll try a bit more searching and troubleshooting before posting :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

This one has not exactly been the best of the builds for me. I did the factory reset and manual reconfiguration, but still got few problems, that forced to go back to 48_3 on N66U.

First and worst problem was big signal quality variations on 2,4 GHz band on the "edge" of range - same place, same circumstances, same channel and reverting to 48_3 solved the signal problems.

Second one was the problems with few settings and web UI - time zone setting keep reverting to wrong one if "manually adjust DST setting" was not activated and regulation mode on 5 GHz band could not be set to "Off (default)" - it always reverted to "802.11d+h".

Wireless signal/range/connectivity problems on 2,4 GHz made this bild unusable because there was no way to solve this - build 48_3 gave link speeds of 108+ Mb/s at farthest corner of my home, while 49_4 gave wild fluctuations between 80 to even 5 Mb/s. Link speeds with older build pretty much gave desired transfer rates when tested, while with newer build they obviosly did not.

Last edited:

No, the newqtn version is based on last week's code. I just forgot that I had bumped the revision for this test release at the time I released the security update, otherwise I would have labelled the new update 49_6.

No. This is the Quantenna driver version number: v36.7.3.23.

This one has not exactly been the best of the builds for me. I did the factory reset and manual reconfiguration, but still got few problems, that forced to go back to 48_3 on N66U.

First and worst problem was big signal quality variations on 2,4 GHz band on the "edge" of range - same place, same circumstances, same channel and reverting to 48_3 solved the signal problems.

Second one was the problems with few settings and web UI - time zone setting keep reverting to wrong one if "manually adjust DST setting" was not activated and regulation mode on 5 GHz band could not be set to "Off (default)" - it always reverted to "802.11d+h".

Wireless signal/range/connectivity problems on 2,4 GHz made this bild unusable because there was no way to solve this - build 48_3 gave link speeds of 108+ Mb/s at farthest corner of my home, while 49_4 gave wild fluctuations between 80 to even 5 Mb/s. Link speeds with older build pretty much gave desired transfer rates when tested, while with newer build they obviosly did not.
Dude save yourself a ton of time and use John's NVRAM save & restore utility:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521&highlight=NVRAM+utility

It is so easy to use! If I can do it anyone can.

Have an AC68P and a TM-AC1900 (as access point). Both running 376_49_4. Updated the AC68P to_5 just fine. Every time I try to update the TM-AC1900 I get the failed message almost instantly.
Didn't have any issue updating via the GUI before. Flashed merlin to the TM-AC1900 when I first got it a couple months ago, has 2.1.2.1 CFE.

Sam

Had the same issue. And no one offered any help. Something changed in Merlin's firmware 376.49.4 and 376.49.5 as TM-1900 would not accept them anymore. The only way I could do it was to replace TMO CFE with ASUS CFE 1.0.2.0. Now it took it.

I just updated my 68R to the newest 376.49_5. everything works great except

I always disable router admin access through WiFi , for security purposes, and the option is clearly disabled on my screen. But I am still able to log into my router through a connected WiFi account and the default up address. I have rebooted the router trying to clear the access memory, and twice it on two WiFi connectd devices , both devices were able to log into the administration page through WiFi

Yes I have a strong password, but I am wondering why this option is not sticking on my device.

I came from the previous release. Would a full factory reset fix the issue? Id rather not loose all my settings if at all possible.

Thanks

And no one offered any help.

That's because the TM-AC1900 is not officially supported, so you're pretty much on your own there. Asus already did take steps to limit the TM-AC1900 owners's ability to run custom firmwares on it, so it could be what's affecting you.

I just updated my 68R to the newest 376.49_5. everything works great except

I always disable router admin access through WiFi , for security purposes, and the option is clearly disabled on my screen.

Not sure what option you are using, because there's no such option in the firmware.

HI. I'm new to this forum but not new to networking. I have both a DSL-AC68U and an RT-AC68U (Merlin 376.49_5). The latter is used as an AP only.
I have been running Merlin on the RT almost since day 1 but, being a new user of these devices, I wanted to test out the latest Asus standard firmware 3.0.0.4.378.3813

No matter what I try and do, resets, reboots, on/off button, the router keeps reverting back to the Merlin firmware. As a new forum poster , I hope I haven't broken any forum, protocols but would appreciate any advice as to how to get the Asus firmware to stick.

It's by no means certain that I'd want to stay on the Asus firmware (I like what Merlin's done) but I'd like to know that the process does work if I ever want to.

HI. I'm new to this forum but not new to networking. I have both a DSL-AC68U and an RT-AC68U (Merlin 376.49_5). The latter is used as an AP only.
I have been running Merlin on the RT almost since day 1 but, being a new user of these devices, I wanted to test out the latest Asus standard firmware 3.0.0.4.378.3813

No matter what I try and do, resets, reboots, on/off button, the router keeps reverting back to the Merlin firmware. As a new forum poster , I hope I haven't broken any forum, protocols but would appreciate any advice as to how to get the Asus firmware to stick.

It's by no means certain that I'd want to stay on the Asus firmware (I like what Merlin's done) but I'd like to know that the process does work if I ever want to.

Try update some older asus firmware first, if it takes it then update to latest.

Try update some older asus firmware first, if it takes it then update to latest.

Thanks for that - sounds like good advice.
As it turns out, I found the Rescue utility and it appears to have done the trick.
I'm now back on Asus 3.0.0.4.378_3813 (just for my own amusement) but, since I only use it as an AP, I'm think I'm probably better off with the Merlin firmware (I like the Site Survey and some of the other mods).

What about wi-fi TX power on last build (compared to 374.43)??? Can I change the country code and TX power via SSH/Telnet as I can do it on 374.43 build?

That's because the TM-AC1900 is not officially supported, so you're pretty much on your own there. Asus already did take steps to limit the TM-AC1900 owners's ability to run custom firmwares on it, so it could be what's affecting you.

I had no problem to load your 376.49.2. Issue appeared immediately after and it also affected other user of your good firmware. I had 2.1.2.1 CFE. The reason I brought it up was for you to know that these router are affected by firmware 376.49.2 and cannot be reflashed to other firmware anymore. As I said, I took care of mine.

I had no problem to load your 376.49.2. Issue appeared immediately after and it also affected other user of your good firmware. I had 2.1.2.1 CFE. The reason I brought it up was for you to know that these router are affected by firmware 376.49.2 and cannot be reflashed to other firmware anymore. As I said, I took care of mine.

This is because the latest firmware is now doing a device model check against the NVRAM.

To flash this latest firmare, do the following (confirmed working on my TM-AC1900):

1. Flash the Asus 1.0.21 CFE from here using the mtd-write v3 tool (put both files on a USB stick, change to /tmp/mnt/usbstickvolumename and do "./mtd-write cfefile.bin boot" via SSH).

Note: You will need to replace the secret code (WPS PIN) and MAC address in the 1.0.21 CFE using a HEX editor before flashing. They are on the sticker on the back of your router.

2. Clear your NVRAM ("mtd-erase2 nvram" via SSH or do a hard-reset).

3. Power-off the router, then power it back on after 10 seconds.

4. Connect to the router and complete the setup wizard.

5. Confirm in the "System Info" page that your router model is now RT-AC68U and not TM-AC1900, and that your CFE version is 1.0.21.

6. Upgrade to the latest Merlin firmware via the GUI as usual - no more error message.

Last edited:

All 378_xxxx firmwares on the AC68U require an upgraded bootloader. Flash 376_3626 first to upgrade it, after that you can flash the 378_xxxx releases.

I uploaded two (unsupported) builds, labeled as 376.49_6:

The AC68 cfeupd build will take care of updating the CFE, and also be ready to accept any FW > 32 MB (such as Asus's recent 378_xxxx builds). Most likely I will be including the CFE updater in future builds as well, seeing how much confusion it creates to require users to first flash with an intermediary release such as 3626. People with downgraded/modified CFE will just have to deal with it, as older CFE are not officially supported in any way.

The AC87 newqtn update replaces the previous test build, only this time with the infosvr security fixes included. This build includes the latest Quantenna driver as used by Asus's recent 378_3754 release.

Treat these as being unsupported test releases.

Files can be found in the Misc folder:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ftf9kjixr1a5f//Misc

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!