What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Discovered in this beta 2, if you assign static IP in Network Map->Clients->Client status and you give it a name, it registers well on the DHCP server page, but it leaves the "name" blank.

That's a known limitation. That's because Asus's Networkmap lets you enter anything since it's used as a description, not just a valid hostname. Allowing these to be reused on the DHCP reservation would lead to a lot of invalid entries.

Hey RMerlin, would it be possible to enable the issue tracker for asuswrt-merlin?

Thanks.

I disabled it because I got tired of all the noise it generated. For every genuine issue, there were at least 5-7 off-topic, technical support requests, which were forcing me to do a clean up of both my mailbox and the issue tracker on a daily basis. It was also once used by someone who had a GPL issue with another company's closed source product (which turned out to be perfectly legal in the end).

In the end, it was more annoying than useful.

I noticed some difference between the 2.4 and 5 GHz information at Tools > Sysinfo.
Is 'Authorized:' and 'Authenticated:' not supposed to be shown for the 5 GHz network also?

(378.50_Beta2 on RT-AC87U)

Broadcom makes a difference between the two status. Quantenna does not. So, I have no way to tell if something is authorized and/or authenticated on the Quantenna radio.

AC56U overclocked to 1100mhz, coming from stock then factory defaults, CFE 1.0.2.3, here is a big issue: all the AiProtection features are active; when router is rebooted RAM usage stays at 210mb, and doesn't decrease, not even after 10-15mins. If I do disable and re-enable one of the router Ai features, let's say Malicious sites blocking, the RAM usage goes back to 61mb.

BTW thanks for the hard work!

Hi

I've not updated my merlin firmware for quite a while, must be about 12 or more months now.
So I've not really been following this forum.
Can anyone tell me what version of merlin I should update to? And also if I should do a reset or is it not nessary if I already have merlin firmware.

Many thanks

I would say just wait a bit. 378.50 is currently in beta so probably released soon. If its been 12 months a little longer wont hurt. Otherwise 376.49_5 is the latest stable release. If you are comfortable with beta firmware 378.50 beta 2 is available now. And yes a reset would be required according to Merlins info (3 revisions old OR per changelog)

I would read through this thread for info about your particular router and any reported issues that maybe you cannot live with before updating.

Gunnar84, what router are you using?

A reset to factory defaults along with a manual setup is required for the latest firmware.

I would suggest updating to the latest Beta 2 firmware and you'll be ready, after reset and manual reconfiguring, for the release version.

I have been using Beta 1 and 2 for the last few days and they are both rock solid for the RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U and an RT-AC56U too that I'm testing it on.

How important is the new boot loader?

I have just upgraded to 378.50 beta 2 and done the full factory reset. However the boot loader failed to load as it is still on 1.0.1.6.
Is there a way to upload this easily? Download speed started off quite slow but seems to be getting better. Thanks

Last edited:
Have you rebooted the router? Physically pull the plug, wait a couple of minutes and boot it back up. Is the boot loader showing the expected version now?

If not, install the 3632 firmware directly from Asus and that should update the boot loader properly. Afterwards, install the Beta 2 again.

Have you rebooted the router? Physically pull the plug, wait a couple of minutes and boot it back up. Is the boot loader showing the expected version now?

If not, install the 3632 firmware directly from Asus and that should update the boot loader properly. Afterwards, install the Beta 2 again.

Hi thanks for the advice still no change so will follow what you advised and get back to you. Will I need to reconfigure from scratch when I reload merlin's firmware?
Thanks

Last edited:
Why would my CPU and RAM both spike when I have my MY Book plugged in? It usually goes down, but last night it took about 45 minutes to lower. Ram would stay at 20-25% constantly.

If I unmount the drive, the cup goes back down to normal. RAM stays about 24%.

It was like this for beta 2 and 3. Not sure about 1 as I never hooked it up when I ran that.

This is on the RT-AC87R.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    49.4 KB · Views: 292
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I have just upgraded to 378.50 beta 2 and done the full factory reset. However the boot loader failed to load as it is still on 1.0.1.6.
Is there a way to upload this easily? Download speed started off quite slow but seems to be getting better. Thanks

Wait for final relese.

I found out why the new bootloader wasn't being flashed - the flash tool isn't set to be executable. I'll fix it for the final release, you can try again then.

Known issue, will be fixed for the final release.

Why would my CPU and RAM both spike when I have my MY Book plugged in? It usually goes down, but last night it took about 45 minutes to lower. Ram would stay at 20-25% constantly.

If I unmount the drive, the cup goes back down to normal. RAM stays about 24%.

It was like this for beta 2 and 3. Not sure about 1 as I never hooked it up when I ran that.

This is on the RT-AC87R.

Probably because you have the Media Server enabled, so it's currently trying to index your files.

Thanks for the fast response. Is used ram @ 24-27% normal when idle? I turned off media server.

Depends on which service you run, whether or not you accessed a file on the plugged USB disk (as RAM gets used for buffering/cacheing).

In general, don't worry about what free memory you have, unless you start running additional programs on your router.

factory reset from 376.47

-- ignore me, i didnt read the whole thread --

Hey,

Is it necessary to do a factory reset?

If so, can i save settings before and then restore settings after the factory reset?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Factory reset to defaults required. Manual configuration afterwards.

Using the restore function in the gui negates doing the reset to factory defaults.

However, john9527 has a utility that restores some user variables.

RMerlin, you asked to see what ip6tables were when my router comes up with IPv6 active, yet gets 17/20 on the "IPv6 Connectivity and Speed Test".

Here you go:

Code:
admin@RT-AC68P-0980:/tmp/home/root# ip6tables -L -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             rt type:0 segsleft:0
   32  6562 ACCEPT     all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      lo     any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
    1    81 ACCEPT     all      br0    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-nonxt    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             length 40
    8   856 ACCEPT     all      br0    any     anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      lo     any     anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:547 dpt:546
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp destination-unreachable
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp packet-too-big
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp time-exceeded
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp parameter-problem
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp echo-request
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp echo-reply
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 130
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 131
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 132
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp router-solicitation
   19  2280 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp router-advertisement
    2   144 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp neighbour-solicitation
    2   144 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp neighbour-advertisement
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 141
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 142
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 143
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 148
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 149
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 151
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 152
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmptype 153
    0     0 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    2   120 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
  170 15948 ACCEPT     all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             rt type:0 segsleft:0
   35  7824 ACCEPT     all      br0    eth0    anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      br0    br0     anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-nonxt    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             length 40
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp destination-unreachable
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp packet-too-big
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp time-exceeded
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp parameter-problem
    2   208 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp echo-request
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ipv6-icmp echo-reply
   12  1460 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 58 packets, 6998 bytes)

Chain PControls (0 references)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain logaccept (0 references)
    0     0 LOG        all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "ACCEPT "
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain logdrop (0 references)
    0     0 LOG        all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "DROP "
    0     0 DROP       all      any    any     anywhere             anywhere
admin@RT-AC68P-0980:/tmp/home/root#

Thanks for your help with this.

RMerlin, you asked to see what ip6tables were when my router comes up with IPv6 active, yet gets 17/20 on the "IPv6 Connectivity and Speed Test".

Here you go:

Those pretty much look like the standard firewall rules, so everything looks ok from the router's end.

You'll have to see what explanation that test site gives for those three specific tests it fails to determine what's going on. Personally, I never blindly trust such test sites.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!