What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Staying with .43 is not an option with the many bug fixes, security issues and other improvements the newer versions offer, and offer continuously.

You may be setting up your network as a bot net for who knows who...

John's doing a good job so far at backporting security fixes (at least those that are documented or recognizable out of Asus's GPL releases). So long people use his fork rather than my own 376.43 releases, they should be relatively safe.

Good point RMerlin.

Didn't realize that he was using that branch of the code.

I don't automatically start the VPN Client with the WAN, so as my selective routing is apparently now working, then perhaps any flushing of the iptables by the DPI engine has physically occurred before my customisation, which might explain why the selective routing is working with the DPI engine.

I will give it another try to test selective routing with TA version and dual wan.

How are you starting you VPN Client? manually or via script delay? how long do you wait before connecting and enabling custom routes?

Thanks for sharing!

I know the DPI engine does flush at least the PREROUTING chain in the mangle table, regardless of its content. So the DPI engine can definitely conflict with custom iptables configurations. That's what forced me to ditch my former nat loopback design and return to Asus's own method.

Thank you, great piece of information!

Regards,

@RMerlin
I don't know what the appropriate place for a feature request is, but could you extend the IPTV manual settings in the webGUI so it's possible to also set port 2 besides port 3 and 4?

What would be even greater would be a VLAN page with trunking options, but that would be a lot more work.
I'm also wondering if macbased VLAN tagging would be possible with a custom script (already using a custom script for trunks and port 2).

Further more I'm really impressed with this firmware. I've got every feature (Adaptive QoS, Trend Micro, etc) turned on and I'm using PPPoE, but it still routes 500/500 on a AC68U:
Schermafbeelding_2015_02_07_om_17_32_42.png

It does seem to be the max for the AC68U's CPU as for NAT it seems to only use one core:
Schermafbeelding_2015_02_11_om_10_17_15.png

Schermafbeelding_2015_02_11_om_10_20_21.png

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin

Thank you very much for your hard work on your ASUS firmware. I'm a big fan of your work and I have been using your firmware for a long time.
I don't use to write much, b'cos I used to solve my problems by reading this forum :)

So again, thank you very much RMerlin

BTW a donation will come soon ;)

@CiscoX
Makes me wonder what you would get with Adaptive QoS with the 200MHz extra of the AC87U. Do you also use PPPoE?
I wasn't worried, I was quite impressed as most routers drop to roughly 90Mbit when enabling QoS (Because there it disables CTF).
And about that donation, good idea, I think I should do one as well.

Last edited:
aiProtection on RT-AC66U

Hi RMerlin,
Do you have any plans to add aiProtection to rt-ac66u? Is there any chance for that?

I'm using this firmware release on an AC68U and I would like to enable new QoS adpt. feature in order to prioritize traffic.

I use transmission and amuled clients, installed and running on the router itself.

And maybe this is the problem. QoS never show in the client list the AC68U itsel, so I cannot assign a specific class of QoS...

In conclusion: am I wrong if I think I have to move torrent and amuled client to an another client it I want prioritize its traffic using QoS?

@CiscoX
Makes me wonder what you would get with Adaptive QoS with the 200MHz extra of the AC87U. Do you also use PPPoE?
I wasn't worried, I was quite impressed as most routers drop to roughly 90Mbit when enabling QoS (Because there it disables CTF).
And about that donation, good idea, I think I should do one as well.

No I don't use PPPoE. Maybe do a small overclock on the CPU and RAM and see if I get higher download/upload speed. Still run my setup on stock CPU and RAM speed, (800,666).
The temperature is not so bad either 2.4 GHz: 50°C - 5 GHz: 50°C - CPU: 77°C
Maybe I should try it out and report back if it makes any difference :)

Last edited:
had an interesting situation re NAT acceleration.

I bought a new AC68U today (my second) loaded this firmware (NOT TA), reset to default. I went into the switch control page and noticed that CTF and FA were both working.

But, I had to set the router to use PPPoE WAN and as I did that a popup warned me that FA was not available for that WAN type (nor for several others). Sure enough, it rebooted and FA was gone.

I've tried to get my other AC68 to enable FA, and I set the new one back to DHCP WAN just out of curiosity, but the FA will not enable for either now.

So, I'm really wondering what allowed it to work after that factory reset... :)

I will give it another try to test selective routing with TA version and dual wan.

How are you starting you VPN Client? manually or via script delay? how long do you wait before connecting and enabling custom routes?

Thanks for sharing!

I used to start the VPN Client from my wan-start script, and as the wan-start script gets called twice when using Dual-WAN for failover, it was probably about 30-60secs delay.

At the moment I start the VPN manually on demand, as the smart DNS service I subscribed to gives far better throughput and I don't need the obfuscation overhead of the VPN.

Regards,

had an interesting situation re NAT acceleration.

I bought a new AC68U today (my second) loaded this firmware (NOT TA), reset to default. I went into the switch control page and noticed that CTF and FA were both working.

But, I had to set the router to use PPPoE WAN and as I did that a popup warned me that FA was not available for that WAN type (nor for several others). Sure enough, it rebooted and FA was gone.

I've tried to get my other AC68 to enable FA, and I set the new one back to DHCP WAN just out of curiosity, but the FA will not enable for either now.

So, I'm really wondering what allowed it to work after that factory reset... :)

Could be a UI glitch, since FA is not available on the RT-AC68U. Only the RT-AC68P, RT-AC87, and RT-AC3200.

I used to start the VPN Client from my wan-start script, and as the wan-start script gets called twice when using Dual-WAN for failover, it was probably about 30-60secs delay.

You can look at the argument passed to wan-start to determine which of the WAN interface is started, and act accordingly.

I'm using this firmware release on an AC68U and I would like to enable new QoS adpt. feature in order to prioritize traffic.

I use transmission and amuled clients, installed and running on the router itself.

And maybe this is the problem. QoS never show in the client list the AC68U itsel, so I cannot assign a specific class of QoS...

In conclusion: am I wrong if I think I have to move torrent and amuled client to an another client it I want prioritize its traffic using QoS?

I don't think Adaptive QoS handles traffic that comes from the router itself.

Could be a UI glitch, since FA is not available on the RT-AC68U. Only the RT-AC68P, RT-AC87, and RT-AC3200.
I thought all variants of the 68 - 68P vs. 68U - were identical devices?

I thought all variants of the 68 - 68P vs. 68U - were identical devices?

The RT-AC68P is a special case. It's what is internally (in the FW) known as the RT-AC68U_V2. It uses a BCM4709 instead of a BCM4708.

@CiscoX I think I'm going to order the AC87U and check what FA does on CPU usage compared to level 1 CTF and of course to see the benefits of the extra 200 MHz. I've just asked a company to 3D print some wall mounts for my AC68U, so I can use that as an AP at the attic, replacing my 'old' Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H.

edit: I just see that FA gets disabled when Adaptive QoS is on.

@RMerlin Did you see my questions about the IPTV GUI? Or did I ask for something that has been asked before or did I ask for it in the wrong place?

Last edited: