What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, first post.

Really impressed with the Merlin firmware and the traffic analyser addition.

Seeing a few issues on my RT-AC68U on 378.50_ta (came from beta2 and did full factory default and reconfigure)

- Getting the unable to login to the GUI with latest Chrome and Firefox on Win10 preview, just getting the "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC56U.
To access the settings of RT-AC56U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."
IE11 is still working so I can still manage the router. I have reflashed the FW and done another factory default but this problem persists.

CPU temp seems to be a touch higher than beta2 with same settings (81 compared to 78)

Configured parental controls last night to limit 2 sons phones access to internet to specific hours. Appeared to be working last night but this morning, all access to internet for all devices was down until I rebooted the Asus.

Other than that performance appears to be really good.

@upinsmoke
I get that settings have been updated sometimes too. Rebooting the router solves it for me. I also don't always get the pages, refresh in the browser works.
It doesn't happen a lot, but I'm seeing that issue too (not using ta version).

upinsmoke,

I had the same login issue on a customers RT-AC68U. Upgrading to the final 378.50 solved it.

There is no functional difference from the _TA version to the final, except some bug fixes I assume.

AC protocol

Hi,

Anyone succeeding to connect an IPad Air 2 (with ac) and getting a high throughput? In the system log its only saying that I got 300Mps, is that correct?

Asus rt87u with 378.50

Christian

MAC Filtering in 378.50

Hi all,

Several versions ago it was possible to use MAC filter (looked like http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_MACFilter_Content.html). I don’t know how it was reachable thru web interface but it was possible to use it manually thru router_address/Advanced_MACFilter_Content.asp . Yesterday I tried it on my RT-N16 378.50 and failed. Then I connected to the router using telnet and checked www directory – there is no Advanced_MACFilter_Content.asp at all. Was it removed? Is it possible to use MAC filtering somehow else in this firmware? I know about wireless MAC Filter and use it but I want to use MAC filtering for wired connections too.

Thank you.

upinsmoke,

I had the same login issue on a customers RT-AC68U. Upgrading to the final 378.50 solved it.

There is no functional difference from the _TA version to the final, except some bug fixes I assume.

I thought that there was no TA in the final version. My mistake, I will try that tonight.

I thought that there was no TA in the final version. My mistake, I will try that tonight.

From the first post of this thread;

All three models have the new Traffic Analyzer page which Asus is currently offering on the RT-AC3200. This page makes use of the DPI engine to classify traffic types, and provide historical transfer data. Note that this feature requires the JFFS partition to be enabled (which should already by default, if you did the mentionned factory default reset).

OK, now you've confused me. The quote you have used from the first page is under the information about the experimental ta fw is it not? :confused:

[edit] I have no idea if I should be discussing _ta experimental issues in this thread but I didn't see a seperate one.

Last edited:
I guess I could be wrong, but how I read it is that the RT-AC56U is the 'experimental' product here.

I thought the dead loop error was fixed? I'm seeing them again in 50_ta on my 87R

Feb 12 09:57:19 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!

Also, anyone have any idea whats going on with this new error?

Feb 10 11:15:19 HTTP login: Detect abnormal logins at 75 times. The newest one was from 192.168.1.125.

That's my desktop machine that I am on.

FYI: still getting freezes on my laptop on the 5Ghz with my AC 7260; its really noticable because I remote desktop to it all the time.

I thought the dead loop error was fixed? I'm seeing them again in 50_ta on my 87R

Also, anyone have any idea whats going on with this new error?

No idea. I suspect it came back at some point following a DPI engine upgrade.

Feb 10 11:15:19 HTTP login: Detect abnormal logins at 75 times. The newest one was from 192.168.1.125.

Something on that computer keeps accessing port 80 of your router, which generates those security alerts.

FYI: still getting freezes on my laptop on the 5Ghz with my AC 7260; its really noticable because I remote desktop to it all the time.

Odd, because I use both RDesktop and SSH from my laptop, also with an Intel 7260AC, without any issue. I'm using the wireless driver that came with Windows 10, previously I was on Windows 7 with an up-to-date driver from Intel's website.

I use channel 157, and have everything else left to the default values.

This is strange what is happening with my AC87u. The 2.4 and 5 ghz bands are giving off different speeds. I am running Merlins latest stable build.

2.4 Band

5 Ghz band

Hi,

Anyone succeeding to connect an IPad Air 2 (with ac) and getting a high throughput? In the system log its only saying that I got 300Mps, is that correct?

Asus rt87u with 378.50

Christian

I haven't gone for maximum wireless-AC speed with my iPad Air 2, but Apple says that the maximum speed of the Air 2 is 866Mbps. Good luck getting the speed up to somewhere near there *smile*. Not sure why you're not seeing higher speed, though, other than the general bad quality of Apple WiFi. 300Mbps does sound like wireless-n speed that corresponds to the wireless-ac speed of 866Mbps (two streams). So maybe your iPad isn't connecting to your router using wireless-ac? Have you tried connecting when you're close to the router?

You might try "reset network settings" on the iPad, and then reconnect to the wireless right near the router, and see what you get there in terms of speed.

Last edited:

It could also be your Antivirus. I did had the same, not sure if I was using Merlin's firmware or on stock asus.
And at that time i was using port 80 as web login for asus router.
I'm using AVAST and it used to scan your network + router.
Just change your port in your router.

CPU temp seems to be a touch higher than beta2 with same settings (81 compared to 78)

Interestingly, tonight the CPU is at 76c, the only differences being that nothing is currently connected to 5Ghz and I turned off parental control time scheduling. It's done a similar amount of work throughput-wise and the house is the same temp. Would 5Ghz clients make such a difference?

Interestingly, tonight the CPU is at 76c, the only differences being that nothing is currently connected to 5Ghz and I turned off parental control time scheduling. It's done a similar amount of work throughput-wise and the house is the same temp. Would 5Ghz clients make such a difference?

It's possible look how much higher the 5G radio temp is compared to the 2G radio temp. When i briefly had my 87U the 5G radio was running between 65 and 68C much to high in my opinion and this is winter here in Michigan i cant imagine what it would be like on a warm summer day with no AC running. I think there is a real possibility of 5G radio failure due to over heating on the 87U over the course of time.

It could also be your Antivirus. I did had the same, not sure if I was using Merlin's firmware or on stock asus.
And at that time i was using port 80 as web login for asus router.
I'm using AVAST and it used to scan your network + router.

Seeing the same thing, also from two machines running AVAST.

EDIT: Apparently AVAST 2015 includes a "network security" scan option.

When I run it I intermittently get the the "detect abnormal logins" message, and also this:

Feb 12 18:16:02 smbd[19865]: [2015/02/12 18:16:02.196303, 0] smbd/process.c:244(read_packet_remainder)
Feb 12 18:16:02 smbd[19865]: read_fd_with_timeout failed for client 192.168.x.xx read error = NT code 0xc0000011.

Just change your port in your router.

Which port and where?

EDIT # 2: This is a little bit concerning: I ran the AVAST network scan and it fails, telling me the router is accessible from the web, and to turn off "Enable Web Access from WAN" in the router.

Ha ha, stupid AVAST, it's already turned off.

Just to be sure, I click Yes to turn it on (which says the default port is 8080), click No to turn it off, and hit Apply.

I run the AVAST network scan again and now it passes, telling me the router is NOT accessible from the web.

So who was wrong the first time, AVAST or the router?

:confused:

Last edited:
Hello
I'm a newbie here and I have some rather basic questions that I hope won't get me flamed for asking them. I'd like to update the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on my AC-66R to the latest 378.50 version but I have a USB drive attached to the router for logging. What I'd like to know is how do you perform a factory restore in such a case? Do you remove the drive before you update and restore (also deleting the old log folders and starting the drive fresh)? Or can you restore with the drive present and not worry about the old folders and logs? I'm just worried about implementing the proper chain of events necessary to do a new factory restore with a USB drive present from the previous firmware version.
Thanks in advance!

Dave

Per device dns filtering problem

With custom dns active with global dns set to opendns. If i decide to add a new computer to be non filtered in the list and click apply, the newly added computer is still filtered with global opendns (default wan dns are google dns servers). If i reboot the router, the added computer is now unfiltered. It seems that the new no filtering rule is not applied immediatly.

After some additional testing WAN-LAN speed does seem to be lower or unstable now, still with QoS disabled. I am sometimes hitting near normal speeds but most of the time it is 25%-30% less than usual on my AC68U with a wired connection.