What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Port Forwarding

Hi RMerlin, I'm on 3.0.0.4.378.50_0 and I still have to re-submit the port forwarding every day or so for it to work coz it dies after awhile, same with DMZ. Is there any work around you can suggest, I can't keep on reseting it everyday.

AC68U
After upgrading to 378.50 I've lost my Dual WAN functionality.
I did a factory reset and setup router manually, as per recommendation.
Then I tried to play around watchdog, but no matter what setting were applied, DW isn't still working. Neither changing LAN port helped.
My WAN has real address and backup channel comes from another device with grey address.
Seems router can't obtain an IP address on LAN1.

How to trace this issue?
Hasn't anyone stepped into this?

— Doctor, everyone ignores me...
— Next!

In the Adaptive QoS - QoS to configuration page, the upload \ download bandwidth I have to set, it's the exactly bandwidth I can measure with speedtest utility, in Megabit / sec or I have to set the real speed rate of my VDSL modem's line (that I can read in modem web ui)? :)

Last edited:
oversim, I would input the speed you pay for, not the actual speeds you may get from one day to the next.

I have even seen a customer use about 10% higher too in the QoS setup and that also seems to work well for them.

AC87U upgraded after a factory reset.

Using PPPoE WAN we lost NAT Loopback after a couple of hours.

Only way to get it working again is the same: completely disabling CTF.

RT-N66U lost connected usb printer when printer off and on.Need rebbot router to working again usb printer.Please fix this bug.

Can you bring back this option or how can I filter who's connected at the 5 GHz

Thank

Asus did this on purpose, so I don't want to revert it. They must have a very good reason to have removed it, I suspect it could be because it wasn't working as intendeed.

Hello and thanks for a nice firmware! I have an issue with the client status list, after rebbot, it works for some time, but after a day, it is cleared and can't get the clients to show up, even if I push the update-button. Is it just me with My AC87U? I did a factory reset when upgrading.
Screenshot Submitted

Make sure you don't have a client configured with a non-standard name (i.e. containing quotes, for example).

If you open the web browser's error console you might be able to see what's causing the Javascript code to break.

The Asuswrt Networkmap is simply not very reliable or stable at this time. A lot of issues were fixed over the years, but it's still not something I would put too much reliance upon. The whole Networkmap design needs to be scrapped and reworked from the ground up IMHO.

[solved] cannot get printing work :(

Hi,

in the previous version I was able to print via LAN/WLAN.
It seems somehow the printing does not work.
I checked:
The daemon is listening on Port 9100.
My Printer Set-Up is also ok.
My USB printer is also recognized on the router.

I tried reboots, I tried unplug/pluggings (printer sill gets recognized), I switched the printer, the asus and my mac on and off and on again...
It seems no traffic goes through the line to the printer :(
I also checked twice, that IPv6 is disabled what caused problems before...

im On this firmware, experimental build (also disabled that for print testing... no success),
and my router is an asus rt-ac56u

Any Ideas what I shall analyze or is there already a n´known issue? can someone reproduce it or is printing working?

thanks.

[edit]
Oh. Seems I solved it: I also disabled the ipv6 firewall, that is enabled by default. after that it's working again... :/ weird.

Last edited:
Hi,

I read that a higher channel could mean higher bandwidth for the wireless network, its that correct?

I think my AUTO setting for 5ghz puts my Asus rt87u router to channel 36. The highest number I could choose is 112 but I have seen that some of you guys are using 149-161...how could I try to set that? I recently had Ipad air 2 (ac) but it only got 300Mbps so I would like to try something that maybe could "fixed" that low number.

Is the recommendation to have 2 separate wireless networks (ssids). I tried with the same name but I/friends mobile devices seems to like the 2,4Ghz better (first connect to 5Ghz and then 30 min or so they will connect to 2,4). Now I only broadcast the 5Ghz net and now they are more stable cause they cant just switch "back"...thoughts? :)

Im on Merlin 378.50 - Factory reset and manual config.

Regards,
Christian

On the subject about the same SSID for both, some say its best others say not. There was an interesting info from an ex Apple engineer that recommended setting them the same. The devices will then select the best band (not just based on the highest RSSI but best connection/rate/throughput) for the particular situation. I have mine this way and iPhone 6 stays on 5ghz AC most of the time unless I get further away from router (upstairs other end of house for instance) then it will switch over to 2.4 and keep on trucking. Once back closer to the router it will switch back to 5ghz AC again. All automatic without having to select the separate network. PC's are all 2.4 N devices so this doesn't effect them at all.

As for lower/upper channels, Here is a nice read. Apparently lower band channels use 1/20 of the power. However potentially that could cause more issues if other 5ghz networks around. Snippet from the article:

<<<"I was reminded by Apple product managers a few months ago while talking about AirPort issues that the lower band uses 1/20th the power of the upper band. That's right: Choose channel 149, and your base station broadcasts signals at 20 times the power of channel 36! (The 5 GHz band, because of its shorter wavelength, requires more power to send the same quantity of data the same distance as a 2.4 GHz device.)

Power corrupts, however. The more power you use to broadcast a signal, the more potential there is for that signal to interfere with other networks, and to receive interference as well." >>>

Last edited:
@L&LD, Interesting read. I too use inssider and Ch 1 would seem to be the best according to it, however no matter what I always come back to ch 11 and have the best results. I am in a residential neighborhood with a ton of wifi networks (one of which has main and guest network on 40mhz stepping on everybody) so 2.4 is a bit crowded. Only like three 5ghz networks shown in router site survey in and all are on 153. My ASUS AC66R (Merlin 378.50) seems to wants to pick that one too when on auto, once in a while I will see 149. I have manually set it for 157 just because.

Last edited:
I think I have two issues with this release. I come from 374.40 and I've done a factory reset.
1) the 3g modem (which worked well in failover mode) now appears disconnected in the web GUI. However, it connects as soon as the primary wan goes down. So it actually works, but shouldn't it stay in standby and not disconnected?
Note that the 3g modem also disconnects after failback (no standby).
2) sometimes smb.conf is not properly created at boot: only the first 42 lines, while they should be 88. The 43rd is where the first shared directory should be. As a result the network disk can't be browsed, of course. The disk is mounted correctly by the router, it's just the smb.conf which is incomplete.

PS: this is on a RT-N66U.

Update: about number 1), if I input "ifconfig" in telnet I see there is no ppp1 interface. It gets created as soon as the primary wan goes down.
Update2: about number 2), it doesn't always happen. Could it be that the smb.conf file is created too early (when the disk is still mounting)?

Last edited:
Hi

Had this firmware on my n66u for nearly a week now and overall no problems I can detect.

Although I do seem to have a minor niggle with my Cannon MG6350 wireless printer. Since I installed this firmware the printer seems to be very slow at printing via wireless at times it just will not print.

It seems to possibly be a signal problem or something else?

But it has worked flawlessly on older firmwares. I have tried resetting the printers connection and it still seems very slow at tasks.

Maybe others are having similar problems with devices that can help.

Also I have lots of devices on wireless such as ps4/amazon fire tv that all work perfectly fine.

Must be something up somewhere.

Hi,

in the previous version I was able to print via LAN/WLAN.
It seems somehow the printing does not work.
I checked:
The daemon is listening on Port 9100.
My Printer Set-Up is also ok.
My USB printer is also recognized on the router.

I tried reboots, I tried unplug/pluggings (printer sill gets recognized), I switched the printer, the asus and my mac on and off and on again...
It seems no traffic goes through the line to the printer :(
I also checked twice, that IPv6 is disabled what caused problems before...

im On this firmware, experimental build (also disabled that for print testing... no success),
and my router is an asus rt-ac56u

Any Ideas what I shall analyze or is there already a n´known issue? can someone reproduce it or is printing working?

thanks.

[edit]
Oh. Seems I solved it: I also disabled the ipv6 firewall, that is enabled by default. after that it's working again... :/ weird.

Hi

Check my post above I have same problem I think

I'm having problems printing via wireless on my cannon printer.

Tried all resets and still the same, worked perfect on older firmwares.

Please could you explain what I need to do, not used to changing settings!

thanks

Installed Astrill applet and it works fine. But I can't find it in the router page after I reboot the router. Any idea how to fix this?